'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hey Brenderup People!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-28 5:03 PM
37 replies, 13773 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ruby2
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-29 9:46 PM (#31150)
Subject: Hey Brenderup People!

Would you recommend pulling a Baron TC with a Mazda Tribute, which is the equivalent of a Ford Escape?  It has a transmission cooler, 200 hp, V6, and 103.1" wheelbase.  I'm in PA, and there are some hills...Folks at Traveled Lane and at the manufacturer say no problem, but just want to see what others have to say...Hate to spend those big bucks and find out I've got to get a different vehicle!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ruby2
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-29 9:52 PM (#31151 - in reply to #31150)
Subject: RE: Hey Brenderup People!

Forgot to mention, the mazda has 4wd, in case that makes any difference...
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-29 10:25 PM (#31154 - in reply to #31150)

Regular

I say no problem. I have had a Brenderup for 8 years. I have the Baron TC and have pulled two large horses from CA to CO twice. I have a Ford 150. I have a friend that pulls hers with an Explorer and Pat Chowning pulls his with a Volvo. You will love the trailer. In addition to just being a great trailer, there is little or no maintenance.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-30 7:24 AM (#31163 - in reply to #31150)

Expert

I was "talking trailers" with a BrenderUp owner at Carlisle on Sunday.
I started it, just asked how he liked it, etc.
He'd like to sell it, "Took too much getting used to and I'll need something bigger soon anyway" was approx one of his comments. The kids are growing, moving up from a pony to a small horse and from a large horse to an even larger one, etc.
I guess I just don't "get it", my Jamco is barely a ponyweight heavier and has a FULL WIDTH horse head area with REAL people exit doors, a REAL tack/DR, etc. If you're THAT marginal for towing capacity - - then you're marginal.
Re maintenance: Wheel bearings, brakes, lights, coupler, gee what else ? White skin aluminum doesn't take any more maintenance than fibreglas/plastic.

OK, I STILL don't "GET IT" !
Though I do like the butt bar fittings and the stabilizer jacks look like a good idea, though I havn't (yet) seen anyone actually USE them.
ruby2
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-30 8:27 AM (#31166 - in reply to #31150)

Well, here are my options--I either get the brenderup and keep the Mazda; or trade in the Mazda for either a big SUV or a truck and get a used 2h trailer (which will be rough b/c I put on at least 25K mi for work/yr and I'd be driving the truck or suv for that), or get a really cheap truck, really cheap trailer and keep the Mazda for work.  Cost-wise its all about the same. My goal of course is safety for the horse, and being a first time hauler, the brenderup seemed pretty easy to deal with.  I am concerned that getting a used truck/used trailer may be risky as I am not mechanically knowledgeable, and either way I go, I have to finance this deal, and I'd rather finance something new v. old/used.  Then, of course, there is always the debate of a 1/2 v. 3/4 ton truck...  
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-30 9:26 AM (#31170 - in reply to #31166)

Extreme Veteran

Ruby.......I personally wouldn't buy a Brenerup....only because I haul lots of heavy things....horses and eqipment. But if I were in your shoes...I'd go with a Brenderup...why? One good rig maintainence cost less and less hassle to  insure than 2  rigs. The Bren appears to have a good resale. It can be outside and not worry alot about it rusting out on you! (resale!) I have tried the 2 rig approach and it seems one of them was always in need of service....If you park the tow rig in the winter it will have a dead battery or flat...or somthing when you need it...I could go on...... oh yeah....no brake controller needed.......less elec problems.....anyway....Oh and you won't loose any on trade in for a 1/2 ton if you replace the Mazda...good luck on your choice!

Edited by xyzer 2005-09-30 9:30 AM
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-30 9:49 AM (#31172 - in reply to #31150)

Regular

Do you know what your Tribute is rated to tow and the GCWR? No matter what the trailer people tell you, I would not exceed the tow vehicles ratings.

I just looked at Ford's site. An escape v6 4wd is rated to tow 2,000lbs w/o the tow package and 3,500 with. With tow package the GCWR is 7240lbs. This means that EVERYTHING added together must be less than the GCWR. You will probably exceed the GCWR before anything else. Ford does not list the actual curb wieght of the escape, and you would need to weigh the vehicle to get the exact value, but it is most likely around 3500lbs.

The tranny cooler PROBABLY means you have the tow package, but I would find out for sure.

So.. looking at some hypothetical guesstimated numbers:

Vehicle: 3500 lbs

Baron TC: 2150 lbs

1 horse: 1,000 lbs

Driver and passenger: 300 lbs

tack,gear, gas, water, etc.: 200 lbs

Total: 7150 lbs

So, with only one horse you are very very close the MAXIMUM rating of the vehicle. With 2 horses you are way over. You will get a lot of opinions (mainly negative) on towing horses with a small SUV. I have never done it so have no opinion. What I can say, is that whenever I have towed with a vehicle that was at its maximum rating it was NOT fun, and in some cases downright dangerous.

I like Brenderup's philosphy of making an easy to tow lightweight trailer. I do NOT like the fact that they make claims of what can be used to tow their trailers, regardless of what the ratings of the tow vehicle may be.

Good Luck, and be safe.

Edited by Flush 2005-09-30 9:51 AM
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-30 10:03 AM (#31173 - in reply to #31150)

Extreme Veteran

I have never used a Brenderup so I make no claim as to how easy or difficult it is to use.  HOWEVER, there are several Brenderups in our area that are brought to us for service and repair.  Regular maintenance is no problem, just pack the wheels and repair the lights like any other trailer.  But, if you need parts, they will have to be ordered from the Brenderup distributor in Texas.  Perhaps there are some other distributors or dealers set up by now, but we have been using the Texas distributor for years.  Our shop personnel are fairly familiar with the relatively different features and systems that Brenderup uses simply because we encounter these trailers from time to time.  Many dealership shops will be confounded by the braking system, the suspension, etc., perhaps making it difficult to find help for a major problem.  Horses do sometimes destroy trailers, you know.  Our customers who have and use Brenderups are quite loyal to the product and seem to be willing to wait for parts to be found and shipped, etc.  I personally have looked long and hard at these trailers and marveled at the fact the they packed some mighty big horses around.
Montana
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-30 10:03 AM (#31174 - in reply to #31150)

Isn't it funny that all the people making the negative comments don't own one.  If they were that awful people that purchased them would be happy to tell everyone how bad they were so someone else wouldn't make the same mistake. 

Why is the resale so good?  Could it be because they are such pieces of crap nobody would want one? 

These trailers have been around for years.  Read Mr. Truck's March 05 review.

I believe since 1997 the wheel bearings have been sealed.  Mine are and don't have to be packed.

For BRENDERUP TRAILERS you need an engine developing a minimum of 120-horse power and a wheel-base as short as 93 inches. The degree by which your current vehicle exceeds these minimums is an indication of it's suitability to accommodate a Brenderup. THAT MEANS ANY NUMBER OF SUITABLE TOW VEHICLES ( a big truck is, of course, fine if that is your preference.)

Examples of vehicles that will safely tow and stop a BRENDERUP - - in no particular order.

Mercedes Benz ML Series
Lexus LX 470, RX300
Acura- MDX
Chevrolet- Astro Van, Venture Van, Blazer, S-Series & Tahoe
Dodge- Caravan, Dakota, Durango
Ford- Ranger, Explorer
Honda- Passport, Pilot
Isuzu- Trooper, Axiom, Rodeo
Jeeps- ALL
Land Rovers- ALL
Mazda- MPV Van, B-Series (Most)
Mitsubishi- Montero LS
Nissan- Pathfinder, Quest Van, Xterra
Toyota- 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Highlander
Volvo- XC90, V70
Volkswagen- Touareg
Porsche- Cayenne

Edited by Montana 2005-09-30 10:51 AM
Montana
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-30 10:38 AM (#31175 - in reply to #31150)

Cutting Edge Towing Truck, Quadrasteer & Cutting Edge Horse Trailer, Brenderup

Also Reviewing Trimax Trailer Locks for conventional trailers, horse, RV, boat etc.

With such a remarkable towing machine as the Quadrasteer GMC Denali, I thought it only right to review a equally controversial remarkable horse trailer, the Brenderup. Manufactured in Denmark and assembled in Texas, Brenderup is a typical horse trailer in Europe, where they don't have the large pickup trucks and SUV's like the US. Which is one of the advantages of Brenderup, being able to use a smaller tow vehicle. The typical tow vehicle for a Brenderup is a Volvo station wagon. With the maximum tongue weight of the largest Brenderup (Baron) being only 250#'s, tow vehicle choices just doubled. The heaviest Brenderup, the Baron, weighs 2150 pounds empty.

Usually when I tow any trailer with a Quadrasteer, there is a dramatic improvement in trailer control. The Brenderup is the exception, it towed great even with 4-wheel-steer option shut off. I had an experienced horse trainer, Jim Rae, with the Colorado Natural Horsemanship Center, load two of his Quarter Horses in it, drive it and tell me his impression. He had never seen a Brenderup, his horses never used a ramp trailer before. We were all surprised at how well it did. We hauled two horses for a scenic ride south of Parker CO. You should have seen the smile on the horses! They also knew I wasn't driving.  We didn't even use one of the features of the Brenderup trailer line, the rear jacks that stabilize the trailer as horses walk up the rubber padded cleated ramps. Jim told me the hollow sound of a ramp can scare a horse. The rear jacks are a good idea for teaching a horse to use ramps, limiting the movement of the trailer.

Jim Rae on towing with the Quadrasteer Denali, "I have to turn wider threw that corner with an empty truck than I did with the Quadrasteer pulling a horse trailer." and his thoughts on the Brenderup trailer, " It tows better than any trailer I've pulled." Jim has a few decades experience hauling horses. Jim's quarter horses together weighed roughly a ton at 15.1 and 14.3 hands. Jim explained, "horses don't like dark caves." Brenderup is about as light inside as a trailer gets. Lots of head room. This was the first time these two horses loaded on ramps. Jim threw some manure in the trailer to make it smell like home. I couldn't do it, I was running the camera.
On horse forums, in the past, I have heard negative posts about Brenderup horse trailers, and seen the loyal users come to their defense. So I investigated and learned about unique features of the trailer, that would help other trailers. They do look different, tall, aerodynamic and a spoiler on the rear of the roof. Brenderup comes in a one or two horse configuration. Competition is the mother of improvement. I wish trucks had over 100 manufactures as trailers do, not 5.5 truck manufactures. My view is 20 years of Brenderup trailers sold in the US, if they were dangerous, we would hear more than opinions based on looks. And they assemble them in Texas and you don't mess with Texas! The #1 truck state. My review trailer from Tom Svejcar a Brenderup dealer from Lyons Colorado, was 3 years old. It showed little wear, mostly just a few pealing decals. Brenderup's are bigger than you think looking at pictures. The high roof works like the vaulted ceiling in my house, making the room seem larger.

Brenderup's long V-tongue goes way under the trailer almost to the first axle. You can see the rubber boot where the coupler pushes back to active the trailer brakes with cables. Parking brake handle runs the same cables. Bet you wish your trailer had a parking brake.

Like your tow vehicle, the Brenderup has toe in on the axles to keep it towing straight. The axles are torsion with shock absorbers. The unique looking roof with the upslope spoiler to the rear and inward sloping rear ramp gate, all have purpose. You've all heard of drafting, like they use in stock car racing and some folks do that behind semi-trucks, where you get close enough to get pulled by the front vehicle. All the different air turbulence that swirls behind vehicles, especially large square types, can create suction. It's easy to feel when on a motorcycle and a large truck passes you. This happens with horse and RV trailers, making some sway more from the suction than others.  With the Brenderup, the roof upslope controls the air current going off the rear of the trailer and the inward slope of the rear ramp-gate, breaks up the air roll that swirls behind trailers, making them far less susceptible to the draft of a passing truck or even the canyon winds we have in the Colorado Rockies. Add all this together, and you won't find a easier towing trailer as is, without a weight distributing hitch or anti-sway bar. The balance of the loaded trailer is level as it should be with more of the trailer weight on the trailer and less on the trailer tongue than conventional horse trailers. This weight balance and aerodynamic shape allows smaller tow vehicles.

I would like to see a horse that kicks, take on the Brenderup. I've taken a hammer to it and couldn't hurt it. Solid phenolic resin walls on larger models and laminate on the smaller ones, make for a solid wall ready for abuse. They sent me samples of the solid phenolic resin that I beat with a hammer. It's good stuff, I was tired and so was the hammer. One piece floor laminate as well as the walls on the smaller models will resist corrosion and are easy to clean.

There is also controversy with emergency service personnel about the benefit of a trailer roof that would allow the horse to escape after a roll over. The fiberglass roof ads to the well lit interior as well as being cooler in the summer and is becoming more popular in horse trailers. The ramp/tailgate has hydraulic struts to make lifting easy, with it's adjustable top door.

I towed the Baron Brenderup to Estes Park with the Quadrasteer Denali. On those mountain curves, the Brenderup cornered like is was on rails as a sports car would. The Baron Brenderup is the easiest pulling trailer I've tried. No fighting the steering wheel, no trailer whip, you forget the trailer's back there. The trailer brakes engaged hard when I braked hard. No brake controller needed as the Brenderup's brakes are self activated. The trailer brakes work similar to surge brakes found on boat trailers. But instead of the tow vehicles change in motion pushing the trailer coupler into the hydraulic plunger to activate hydraulic brakes, Brenderup's coupler pushes in to move 4 cables which activate the trailer brakes. It's called "all wheel Inertia®."

From underneath, trailer brakes and park brake have a  rod connecting to a cable from each wheel. The chassis and frame are hot dip galvanized steel including the independent torsion axles with shocks. Brenderup's have a low center of gravity with most of their weight at floor level.

According to Brenderup, "Only BRENDERUP REAL® TRAILERS employs INERTIA® 4-wheel brakes designed to operate as the driver comes off the accelerator pedal and before getting to the brake pedal. Under ALL circumstances whenever the trailer tries to push on the tow vehicle the trailer brakes are being applied in direct proportion to the weight of the trailer at the time and the rate of deceleration. The INERTIA® brake system also has an independent parking brake, emergency breakaway and antilock characteristics."

Trimax for Trailer Security

As the price (value) of trailers go up each year, so does the risk of having yours stolen. I tried the UMAX 100 coupler lock, model #T3 Receiver Lock and the T-Hex Super Chain from Trimax. The UMAX 100 pictured above, fits all trailer couplers and all their ball sizes. I used it on the Brenderup horse trailer, a couple of boat trailers and travel trailers and yes it fit them all. The U-shape 5/8" hardened steel shackle dual ratcheting locking system, has a dual purpose. It of course locks the trailer coupler to the lock housing, but you can also attach chains and cables to it. I used the Trimax T-Hex Super Chain to lock the trailer to the truck when it set over night. Or you could lock spare tires, lawn chairs etc. to the trailer while you are on the trail.

Everyone should be using a locking receiver hitch pin. Trimax is as good as it gets, I bought their #T3 Receiver Lock, it's rated at 32,000 pounds. The water tight lock works every time. I have several hitches, from adjustable drawbars from B&W to an Equalizer weight distributing hitch and don't want them to walk away while I'm at the movies. Trimax has a lock for just about anything, from trailers to motorcycles.

Trimax T-Hex Super Chain padlocked trailer coupler to truck hitch.

UMAX 100 coupler lock and T-Hex Super Chain, which comes in 4 sizes.

#T3 Receiver Lock

Travel Trailer

Horse Trailer

Boat Trailer

More Pictures of the Brenderup Experience

The Brenderup horse trailer & the Outfitter popup are great for off-road & trail riding

Tom Svejcar and son show how easily the stalls adjust for a colt and momma

Under the ribbed rubber floor mats, is the laminated floor with drain holes.

Tom says Brenderup is the Mercedes of horse trailers.

Light, also tailgate door is adjustable when closed and can be left open with just the ramp closed.Plenty of light, windows and ventilation The dressing room wall folds down to give the horse more head room & a view of where they are goingDressing room walls move back to use and then roll forward. A compact unit that expands.

Yes it has a tack room, it stays put but the dressing room expands.

Here is the dressing room with the wall rolled back. Now you can stand up out of the weather.Doors on each sideRamp jacks are great for teaching horses about ramps, making them solid.

Ramp/tailgate latches are spring loaded to stay lockedThe ramp top gate can be up or down for more ventilationThe Quadrasteer GMC Denali with trailer did a circle in Jim's indoor areaShocks on the axles, like many RV travel trailers.

New to Ramps, the Adventure. Jim Rae loads two of his Quarter Horses in the Brenderup Baron. Jim's first experience with a Brenderup and the horses first load on a ramp trailer.

Thanks to Colorado Horse Trailers, Lyons CO, Tom Svejcar http://www.coloradohorsetrailers.net/  for the Brenderup trailer ph. 303-823-0730
 Jim Rea, director of Colorado Natural Horsemanship, Parker CO, web http://www.gentlehorses.com/ cell 303-596-0160

and Trimax/Wyers Products Group Inc. http://trimaxlocks.com/ Centennial CO ph. 303-796-8500

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-30 12:02 PM (#31178 - in reply to #31150)

Elite Veteran

A very good friend of mine, just got her 2nd Brenderup.  She bought the first one an '87 w/out DR in '96, as a refurbished one from the dealers in Texas; paid $4,500 for it, & drove it back with a Dodge van (the smaller type).  She had it until this summer, traveled all over Fla and one trip to Tenn usually with 2 horses.    I once loaded up my 1350lb  15.3 very wide QH and was amazed at how much head, width, and tail room he had. 

She did eventually have some transmission issues with the van, but that was after about 5-6 years.

She sold the trailer this summer and had 2 friends fighting over it and got $4,500 EXACTLY what she paid for it 9 years ago.  All she had done in the 9 years was regular maintenance, though it was kept under cover about 80% of that time.

She bought a brand new one that is the largest size, not sure of the model name.  She now pulls it with an RV van - I think it's a class 3. 

She is sold on Brenderups as she'd rather not need a big truck to pull it.  I've found that most people that have them, love them and I've known at least 5 people that had them.

Wanted to add that I believe her van was rated at 5,000 lbs so it wasn't as big a difference as the vehicle you are looking at.  I did pull this trailer one time with my former truck an F150 rated to pull 7,300 and it did fine.  I think you might also be lacking in wheelbase with your vehicle.  I have found that to be an issue as I didn't really have quite enough wheelbase with my Ford and my trailer at 117".  I now have a Dodge 2500 HD Diesel and I don't even notice the trailer and am soooo much happier pulling with this truck.  Safety is important.

Edited by Dunoir 2005-09-30 12:05 PM
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-30 2:50 PM (#31185 - in reply to #31150)

Veteran

arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-30 3:06 PM (#31186 - in reply to #31150)

Veteran

NOTHING stirs this board up like the word Brenderup!

Like I've said before I loved the one we had . . . wish I still had it. Maintenance was simple. The few times I needed parts they were easy to get from the good folks in Midland, TX. I replaced the bearings once and easily got new ones at the local bearing shop.  Like any trailer, keeping it clean was the most important maintenace task.  

Brenderups (and other VERY similar trailers) are used by the thousands in Europe and in many places in North America with great success and satisfaction, often pulling BIG warmblood horses with smaller vehicles. No matter what your opinion (or mine) about them, there are thousands of people that love 'em and use them all the time.  They trailer their horses to dressage, jumping or eventing gatherings and do just fine.

Not everyone needs big diesels, dressing rooms, and big trailers.  If your situation is such that you don't require a separate dressing room, don't have to drive 75 mph all the time, don't want to drive "off road" to remote trail heads you may be just fine with a Brenderup.

Enjoy your horse and trailer.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-01 7:54 AM (#31208 - in reply to #31186)

Expert

Originally written by arroyoseccofarm on 2005-09-30 3:06 PM

NOTHING stirs this board up like the word Brenderup!

Like I've said before I loved the one we had . . . wish I still had it. Maintenance was simple. The few times I needed parts they were easy to get from the good folks in Midland, TX. I replaced the bearings once and easily got new ones at the local bearing shop. Like any trailer, keeping it clean was the most important maintenace task.

Brenderups (and other VERY similar trailers) are used by the thousands in Europe and in many places in North America with great success and satisfaction, often pulling BIG warmblood horses with smaller vehicles. No matter what your opinion (or mine) about them, there are thousands of people that love 'em and use them all the time. They trailer their horses to dressage, jumping or eventing gatherings and do just fine.

Not everyone needs big diesels, dressing rooms, and big trailers. If your situation is such that you don't require a separate dressing room, don't have to drive 75 mph all the time, don't want to drive "off road" to remote trail heads you may be just fine with a Brenderup.

Enjoy your horse and trailer.

It isn't that you HAVE TO move up to a HUGE truck for anything other than a B-Up. The BIG claim is weight savings, but that is barely equal to the weight of a pony. So what is that weight saving worth ?
Some folk think it is the difference between driving a mini-SUV for all their other driving vs a 1 ton with a V10 (or large 8) as their daily driver, I don't agree on that. There are PLENTY of vehicles that can pull the additional 600 or so lbs quite safely.
The difference that I see is that the second horse HAS TO be sent in, since there is no "escape door" and any horse with a claustrophobic tendancy just isn't going to settle. I'll agree that self loading is a desirable thing to train a horse for, but its a_NOTHER thing you would have to do with a trailer that doesn't have a front escape door. My bias/prejudice is toward EXTRA space around the horses, not the minimal space that "will do".
cupid
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-10-02 4:57 PM (#31232 - in reply to #31208)

Originally written by Reg on 2005-10-01 7:54 AM

It isn't that you HAVE TO move up to a HUGE truck for anything other than a B-Up. The BIG claim is weight savings, but that is barely equal to the weight of a pony. So what is that weight saving worth ?

Some folk think it is the difference between driving a mini-SUV for all their other driving vs a 1 ton with a V10 (or large 8) as their daily driver, I don't agree on that. There are PLENTY of vehicles that can pull the additional 600 or so lbs quite safely.
The difference that I see is that the second horse HAS TO be sent in, since there is no "escape door" and any horse with a claustrophobic tendancy just isn't going to settle. I'll agree that self loading is a desirable thing to train a horse for, but its a_NOTHER thing you would have to do with a trailer that doesn't have a front escape door. My bias/prejudice is toward EXTRA space around the horses, not the minimal space that "will do".

***Brenderups can be pulled by many vehicles not because of light weight but because of the aerodynamic design which other trailer manufacturers haven't been bright enough to imitate yet.

**There is an escape door in every Brenderup. I was pleased to find in my Brenderup Royal that the shorter doors are NOT the big inconvenience/problem I thought they would be. Since I always go to shows alone, I did train both my horses to self load, which was no harder than teaching them to lead in.

From what I remember of the vehicle requirements, with a Mazda Tribute you could pull a Royal, but not a Baron, (at least without the towing package.)
The Brenderup web site no longer states this, but used to say that for a Baron you needed a vehicle that could handle 215 or 225 lbs of tongue weight, and for the Royal or smaller the tongue weight was about 165 or 185 lbs.

Edited by cupid 2005-10-02 5:29 PM
ruby2
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-07 8:30 AM (#31391 - in reply to #31150)

thanks for all of your replies.  My Mazda has the towing package, and with a towing capacity of 3,500, it should allow for a tongue weight of 10% of that, right?  so 350 lbs if I'm correct.  The company responded to my email about the Mazda and stated that it could handle the baron tc/sl.  But again, being so close to the minimum requirements of 125 HP and 93" wheelbase, thats what raised my concerns...I'm considering the Brenderup if I don't have to replace my car; if I have to get a different tow vehicle, then I'll probably just get a used conventional trailer...
tomerie
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-07 12:34 PM (#31405 - in reply to #31391)

New User

The tongue weight of a Baron trailer (any Baron) should only be about 250 lbs max with two horses in it.  (According to their published literature.)  I own one, and absolutely love pulling it.  (i.e. It NEVER pushes me down any of the mountains here in Colorado.)

I would also not worry about the hp or wheelbase, as my Land Rover Discovery isn't terribly powerful either, but does have a slightly longer wheelbase.

The one item that caught my eye in what you are discussing is that the towing capacity is 3500 lbs.  A Baron trailer weighs slightly over 2100 lbs empty, which means you would probably only be able to pull one horse at a time with your Mazda.  (In the interests of safety.)  Loading a second horse would exceed the Mazda's rated towing capacity.  If you will only be pulling one horse most of the time -- and could find a second vehicle for when you'll be pulling a second horse -- you won't regret going with a Baron.  (Or any Brenderup)  They also do a great job of holding their resale value.  (i.e. There haven't been any used Barons listed for sale on this web site for several weeks now.)

rbeylick@msn.com
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-08 1:47 AM (#31443 - in reply to #31150)

New User

I am looking at a used 1991 Brenderup Prestige for $4400.00 It has some wear on the outside but all-in all pretty good condition. Can anyone give me some advice on what questions to ask the seller. I have an Acura MDX and I am a novice to the world of horse trailers., My research on the Brenderup did narrow my search to this particular trailer. I have not seen many for sale. Am I getting ripped off at $4400.00? I also do not want to buy a truck to tow my horse. Any ideas? Thanks.

verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-08 1:26 PM (#31464 - in reply to #31150)

Regular

I would ask how long they have owned it. Pull the mats and look underneath. Call Pat Chowning the Brenderup dealer in CA and ask it he thinks it is a fair price. He is very honest. If it is in good condition I don't think you could go wrong. Look at the fiberglass roof to make sure there are not cracks at the corners and that it is solid. The first one I bought over the internet from VA, I was in CA, had crack corners. The lady ran into the roof of her garage which I was not told until after the trailer arrived in CA. We fixed it, I used it for three years and sold it for $3,000 more than I paid for it. The resale on Brenderups is great.

Good luck. The bolts underneath need to be tightened from time to time. Ask for their owner's manual. It should tell you about maitenance. Make sure the ramp closure latches line up properly. If they don't the bolts need to be adjusted.

I own a 2002 Baron TC and have made two trips across country with it.

rbeylick@msn.com
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-08 1:55 PM (#31468 - in reply to #31464)

New User

Thanks very much!!
pamster
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-10 12:49 PM (#31521 - in reply to #31443)

New User

Hi there, I just bought a 1989 Brenderup I think it's a royal? It's a two horse with a tack compartment. I paid 1800$ for it, I'm located in MI. I'm hoping to tow it with a 140 hp, 4 cylinder 2002 Olds Alero. Ask about a maitenance record, and check the parking brake. You might want to take it in for maitenance somewhere. You can also e-mail Simon Barr at Brenderup HQ in Texas, he's very helpful.
halfpass
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-11-11 1:11 PM (#32914 - in reply to #31150)

It's QUITE simple..the TONGUE weight is only 80 lbs on the largest Brenderup...72 lbs. for the Royal models. A Sundowner/Hawk/etc. is 450+ lbs tongue weight for an empty two horse bumper pull. A Brenderup carries itself and a US made trailer "squashes" down the back of a smaller tow vehicle.It's the tongue weight...not the trailer weight. Wish the US would try to do something similar! I don't think Truck Man would have given it such great ratings if it were inferior. I've pulled one with a 5 cyl Volvo staion wagon and could run 70 all day long on the highway. Stops great, turns great.
foxhunt
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-11-18 7:46 AM (#33203 - in reply to #31150)

As far as I am concerned the Brendeurp traielr is the best thing since sliced bread. Especially sinc ethe gas prices have gone crazy, Why do you think Europe has these trailers? As far as packing the wheels that should tell you that THAT person obviously doesn't know what she/he is talking about and probably never serviced one either because if they did, they would know that Brenderup has sealed wheel bearing and NEVER has to be greased. Go with Brenderup you won't be sorry. I am a dealer, but I was a customer before I became a dealer. I pulled with a station wagon for 4 years with absolutely no problem. Your Tribute can pull this with no problem too. The tongue weight on the Baron is 250 lbs and that is with a dressing/tack compartment. American vehicles are based on a tongue weight of 10-15%, but Brenderups are 3.46% so you have plenty of vehicle. I have smaller vehicles than what you have pulling the Brenderups, but I obviously do limit what I know they can pull. Good Luck and remember to talk to BRENDERUP people about their trailer. People who don't own them have no clue about them. They can only talk and we all know about talk
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-18 9:44 AM (#33210 - in reply to #33203)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by foxhunt on 2005-11-18 5:46 AM

Why do you think Europe has these trailers? 
................Have you been to Europe?....There refrigerators, washing machines are a lot like the trailer. Just big enough to get by....or no bigger that they really need...?!  If I owened a volvo or equal auto I would own a brenderup for sure.....If we reverse the question....Why do you think those yankees have those big trailers?.....answer.....Because we can!...Oh and Sealed bearings go bad also.....just less maintenence...Don't read this wrong...I agree with 100% on the brenderup if you need a light weight trailer for your lightweight tow vehicle the brenderup is the way to go.....and That is why Europe has them!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-11-18 1:10 PM (#33215 - in reply to #31521)

Expert

Wait- did someone actually say they plan to haul horses with a 02 4 cyl olds alero???? We own a 04 Alero and there is no stinking way I'd pull a lawn mower trailer with it. I HOPE this was a joke.....
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)