'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Evacuation Pt. 2!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-04 3:38 PM
3 replies, 3396 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

frogblossum
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-27 6:42 PM (#31064)
Subject: Evacuation Pt. 2!

Before Katrina hit, I wondered where people were going with their horses.  Here comes Rita...Well, my family is from Port Arthur and thank GOD I took the horses to a friends place in College Station on Wednesday.  Then I came back to Pt. Arthur and we left on Thurs. morning.  It took us 17 hours to get to a relatives house - normally an 1.5 hr. trip.  The traffic was unbelieveable - we would have run out of gas pulling a 3 horse trailer.  We've learned some very valuable lessons this time around.  We've been told the house has some damage but wouldn't you know the barn looks perfectly fine.  We probably won't really know for a few weeks.  It sounds like we were lucky.

Lesson # 1 - Have a plan and don't be afraid to use it.

Lesson # 2 - Take plenty of gas.

Edited by frogblossum 2005-09-27 6:44 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-27 6:45 PM (#31065 - in reply to #31064)
Subject: RE: Evacuation Pt. 2!

Expert

Glad things weren't as bad as they could have been.  I don't live in a natural disaster area, so I can't imagine what it's like to have a farm there!
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-28 10:19 AM (#31079 - in reply to #31064)

Veteran

Glad to hear that y'all are OK.  The storms have really stirred things up around here too, as far as emergency planning goes.  Problem here would be an earthquake, no warning.  We live in town but lease a farm 30 miles south in Mississippi. Our plan is to go live at the barn. Plan #2 is to move into the horse trailer LQ. I think gas will be a problem and I am in the process of setting up my trailer LQ with 12v & solar panels.
sunnyarizona
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-10-04 3:38 PM (#31317 - in reply to #31064)

Regular

I keep things ready, must be a habit from living in hurricane country growing up. We are always in fire danger however. Does anyone know how long water can stay usable when it is stored in plastic? I don't mind if it tastes sorta funny but I don't want coliforms.

Hats off to all of you who took your animals to safety. What a sad time for so many ranchers, farmers and everyone else.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)