'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Spark Plugs.......????

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-26 2:13 PM
3 replies, 2746 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

VegasBugs
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-26 11:30 AM (#30986)
Subject: Spark Plugs.......????

New User

I have a 2000 3/4 ton 7.4 L 454 Chevrolet 4x4 pickup truck. Approx. 130,000- some thousand miles on it, I've owned it from day 1.---------- In November of last year I got a new fuel pump put on it at the local dealership back home in IL. It had been sputtering very bad during acceleration. I would put my foot down, and it would go no where, then suddenly it would get a 'burst' of go, and travel along like normal. If anyone has ever driven a pickup with an engine of this size, they would know I am used to putting my foot down and being whipped back against the seat due to the power, and GOING somewhere......so it was very frustratiuing. I spent over $800 for the new fuel pump, and two days or so after I get my truck back, it is doing the same thing.------------- So here I am, almost a year later, and my truck is still exhibiting the same problems, only worse. The sputtering has got a lot more frequent and severe, to the point where it died on me the other day. Also, lately when going to start it, I turn over the key and it makes several clicking noises, then makes a weak effort to turn over, still stuttering. If I turn the key back, and give it some gas (even though it's fuel injected...I know....) and then turn it over usually starts.----------- My SES light has been on since last fall as well, I went to Auto Zone several weeks ago and plugged it in, the reading came back that both of my cylinders are running lean. I put several gas treatments in, hoping it would help.---------- Many people have told me my problem is that I need to get my plugs and wires changed? I have an appt. to take it in tomorrow morning to a local shop. Talking to the lady on the phone telling her about my problems, she tried to say it sounds like the fuel pump. Now, I am no mechanic, but there is no way a pickup needs two new fuel pumps within a YEAR, especially if it was doing the same exact thing after being returned the first time.-------- PLEASE HELP, I would really like some opinions....I will try and answer any questions about it...... Thank you in advance....------- Also, if there is any other discussion boards I can post this on, will someone please let me know?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-26 12:07 PM (#30990 - in reply to #30986)
Subject: RE: Spark Plugs.......????

Expert

Hi and welcome to the forum.
This has little/nothing to do with horse trailers, other than that it might be a tow vehicle.
Yes, there are truck forums where you can search for the answer to your questions. They've alREADY been asked several times, searching for the answers IS faster than asking again.
Go here;
http://dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
then go up a couple of levels and back down again for the 454 ("big block")

My intuit sez a couple of things about this;
At only 5 or 6 years old the plug wires are likely OK, there WAS a time when high voltage ignitions were breaking down wires in a couple or three years, but I think GM solved that a while ago.
130,000 miles on the original plugs,,, well, it wouldn't HURT things to change them. Even if you have to buy a plug wire puller, plug wrench and gapping guage you'd come out ahead on a mini DIY project.
Replacing the fuel pump didn't do anything towards fixing this (these ?) problem(s), I'd want my money back, or at least a credit towards whatever gets done that actually fixes it.
The lean mixture indications could be due to almost anything, though these days sensors are frequently the culprits (MAP, air temp, etc.)
The clickey click on the starter... perhaps a poor battery connection, sick starter, etc.

I think you need a competent mechanic (-:
I'd try to tackle these problems one at a time, preferably in the order that they came up in. Removing the first one will probably make the remaining symptoms a little clearer ??
20/20 hindsight being what it is, get your vehicle fixed when it has only ONE problem - its usually cheaper that way.

Edited by Reg 2005-09-26 1:55 PM
VegasBugs
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-26 1:20 PM (#30995 - in reply to #30986)

New User

Hi reg, thanks for your response. I am aware this has nothing to do with trailers....but I have seen people post vehicle problems here before. I used to post here last year, but have forgotten my login and password since then. I am sorry if I wasn't supposed to post.---- Thanks for your input though.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-26 2:13 PM (#30996 - in reply to #30995)

Expert

Originally written by VegasBugs on 2005-09-26 1:20 PM

Hi reg, thanks for your response. I am aware this has nothing to do with trailers....but I have seen people post vehicle problems here before. I used to post here last year, but have forgotten my login and password since then. I am sorry if I wasn't supposed to post.---- Thanks for your input though.

I don't think it matters TOO much to the site's owner, or to the moderators.
It is "trailering relevant".
I was just trying to get you to the truck forums where the answers already ARE. The question-answer delay time can be a few days, a well composed search takes seconds and usually turns up enough material to fix it.
If nothing else you can go to the repair shop with a few bits of anecdotal info on what the problem USUALLY is for a given symptom set on your vehicle (-:

Good Luck,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)