'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
A/C problems

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-28 1:53 PM
7 replies, 3534 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-26 11:24 AM (#30982)
Subject: A/C problems

Extreme Veteran

I have ducted A/C in my trailer. Sometimes it works, sometimes
it doesn't. On Saturday morining, I was in the trailer, and it worked just
fine. On Sunday afternoon, it didn't. The weather was "cool" on Saturday morining, and it was hot Sunday afternoon. Could this have something to do with it? Is there some type of heat sensor?

I've taken it to an RV place for them to look at it, and it worked for them at that time, and when I picked it up. I hooked up this morining to take it to the shop. When I tried it when I was out feeding first thing, plugged into the barn, it didn't work, by the time I got it hooked to my truck, and tried it one more time, it worked (running off generator). When it didn't work, it makes noise like it's running but the fan doesn't come on, even when I switch it fan only, the fan doesn't work. I've had it run off barn power in the past.

I'm thinking that there is not enough power at the barn to run the A/C unit. When your plugged in, and running the generator, does the power run off the generator or the land power? I've had it *not* run off the generator at shows. I'm wondering if trying to run it off the A/C at the barn could cause a problem, making it not run off the generator sometimes?

I left it unplugged when I left it at home, and I'll try it again tonight.

So if it works off the generator tonight, can I assume the problem is caused by the barn power?
If it doesn't work tonight, could it have something to do with it being
hot inside the trailer? If that the case, what might cause that? My other guess is there must be something that "switches" the power on inside the A/C unit, and that thing, if it exists, might be flaky??? I'd like to figure out what makes it fail before I take it back to the shop. I figure there is no point in paying them to tell me it's working. ;-)

-Betty
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-26 9:35 PM (#31022 - in reply to #30982)
Subject: RE: A/C problems

Extreme Veteran

When you plugged it into the barn, did you use the 30 or 50 amp RV cord, if you used an ordinary extension, you probably didn't have enough amperage for the AC which could of damaged the compressor.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-27 9:41 AM (#31035 - in reply to #30982)

Expert

Originally written by bjhouten on 2005-09-26 10:24 AM

I have ducted A/C in my trailer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. On Saturday morining, I was in the trailer, and it worked just fine. On Sunday afternoon, it didn't. The weather was "cool" on Saturday morining, and it was hot Sunday afternoon. Could this have something to do with it? Is there some type of heat sensor? I've taken it to an RV place for them to look at it, and it worked for them at that time, and when I picked it up. I hooked up this morining to take it to the shop. When I tried it when I was out feeding first thing, plugged into the barn, it didn't work, by the time I got it hooked to my truck, and tried it one more time, it worked (running off generator). When it didn't work, it makes noise like it's running but the fan doesn't come on, even when I switch it fan only, the fan doesn't work. I've had it run off barn power in the past. I'm thinking that there is not enough power at the barn to run the A/C unit. When your plugged in, and running the generator, does the power run off the generator or the land power? I've had it *not* run off the generator at shows. I'm wondering if trying to run it off the A/C at the barn could cause a problem, making it not run off the generator sometimes? I left it unplugged when I left it at home, and I'll try it again tonight. So if it works off the generator tonight, can I assume the problem is caused by the barn power? If it doesn't work tonight, could it have something to do with it being hot inside the trailer? If that the case, what might cause that? My other guess is there must be something that "switches" the power on inside the A/C unit, and that thing, if it exists, might be flaky??? I'd like to figure out what makes it fail before I take it back to the shop. I figure there is no point in paying them to tell me it's working. ;-) -Betty

As a guess... from your posting, the fan motor is either intermittant or is overheating.  (there might be a thermo-switch in the motor that cuts it off when hot)  When you say it sounds like it's running but the fan is not on... says to me, the compressor is running and the thermostat is calling for cooling.  So ... the simple stuff first,  you will have to remove the cover on the roof.  If this is too much... stop reading and get the trailer to a shop.  have them check the fan motor.

If you're still reading, you have unplugged the trailer right ??  Then try spinning the fan blades by hand.  It should turn freely.  If not try a couple of drops of oil on each end of the motor.  (The motor turns two fans, one fan to move cool air and the other to move hot air) Also remember to look for simple stuff like a birds nest in the unit.  Friend had a small stick get into theirs.  Most likely from a tree they drove past too closely.

There may be a small hole for oil on the motor.  Use a light oil or even better.. use some synthetic engine oil from your truck.

If this doesn't work, the repair needs more electrical / mechanical skills.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-27 10:44 AM (#31038 - in reply to #30982)

Extreme Veteran

Update on the A/C. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I am using the RV plug when I'm plugged into the barn.

Last night, I turned on the generator, and let it run for about
10 minutes before I turned on the A/C, and it worked just fine. The
trailer was not plugged into the barn at the same time. (My husband says the barn was not wired to handle current drawned by an A/C, just lights and other lightweight stuff) It was hot in the trailer, but not like
Sunday afternoon. This morining, I let the generator run for about 5 minutes before I turned on the A/C, and it worked fine then also. I think I will decrease the amount of time that I let the generator run before turning on the A/C and see if I can find a point that makes a difference.
If I just need to let the generator run a few minutes before turning on the A/C, I'm OK with that. It seems like once the power is on in the trailer it should be OK to turn on the A/C w/o waiting.

I also will get up there and take the cover off and look for "stuff" that might be in the way of the fans. That will have to wait till this weekend.

The trailer sat for about six months before I bought it after six months of very light use. Never pulled, just sat in an RV park and was stayed in once in awhile. It is an '04 CM Norstar, the converstion is by Trail Boss.

-Betty
tripper_t57
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-09-27 10:54 PM (#31069 - in reply to #30982)

When you start your generator, there may be a time delay IF you have an automatic transfer switch in your converter.That means you can start the generator, it will run for up to a minute, and then, when the transfer switch is satisfied with the power output, power will be applied to the distribution center. Your twelve volt lights will come on; they are supplied by the battery. It will be the 120V loads that are affected.I have never been plugged in to a source and also run the generator-it may switch to generator power or it may remain on the supplied voltage. Also, if the extension cord is not large enough, say a 100' sixteen gauge cord, there will a large voltage drop to the trailer. This means that the fan may come on, but there may be insufficient voltage to start the compressor(usually the largest load on your system). In fact as someoene mentioned earlier, this low voltage situation can cause fatal damage to your compressor. Your situation at the barn may also contribute to a low voltage problem. If the barn is a long way from the service, and the wiring is sized only for lights, there may not be enough power available especially by the time you add on extension cord length and other loads. Something else that has alredy been mentioned is removing the cover. The inside cover for the filter is easily removed. I have cleaned the filter for mine twice this year. First time when I bought it, thought, man people ought to clean this stuff more often because it was plugged and preventing enough airflow to cool down. Second time, about a month later, I cleaned it again- it was almost completely blocked. Both times it was lint-looking stuff, very light.
gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-28 7:27 AM (#31072 - in reply to #30982)

Veteran

i think we have a problem with the blower side of the fan as said the fan will blow even if it does not cool same motor? if it gets any power at all the fan should blow she said it makes a noise but the fan is not blowing even on fan only i would try the heat and see if it blows? good luck
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-28 1:35 PM (#31087 - in reply to #31072)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by gus on 2005-09-28 7:27 AM

i think we have a problem with the blower side of the fan as said the fan will blow even if it does not cool same motor? if it gets any power at all the fan should blow she said it makes a noise but the fan is not blowing even on fan only i would try the heat and see if it blows? good luck

Last night, I unplugged the trailer from the barn, turn on the generator, let it run about 2 minutes, then turned on the A/C. Everything worked great. There is about a 30-60 delay from when the generator comes on and the power is available in the trailer. I go by the microwave lights coming on. My wait time is after the microwave lights come on.

Next, I'll check out the heat as suggested. Try the fan only again, and check out the fans & filters as suggested. I'm leaning towards two possiblies. Not enough amps available from the barn, very likely. The barn is 200 feet from the house, where that power comes from, I used the RV cord from the trailer to the barn, and second the possiblity that fan/filters needs to be serviced.

Does anyone keep a "service list" for LQ part of the trailer? Like the need to clean out filters, etc... I know about blowing out the water heater & friedge orifices for spider webs & dust, and now about the fan & filters on the A/C. Anything else?

-Thanks
Betty
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-28 1:53 PM (#31091 - in reply to #30982)

Extreme Veteran

One thing I always do is to drain my freshwater holding tanks and if the trailer is not going to be used for a while, I will take an air tank and blow out the water lines.  I have heard of cases where people had mold to form in the lines where they set for a while.  We also leave deodorant in the black holding tank when it is going to set up.  Once we have cleaned it all out, we put the holding tank deodorant back in it.  This helps keep the tanks from smelling so bad when you get ready to use it again. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)