'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
stock trailer question, tie or not?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-03 9:44 AM
23 replies, 4602 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-25 11:11 PM (#30962)
Subject: stock trailer question, tie or not?

For those of you with stock type trailers or removable dividers. If you are hauling one horse, do you leave them loose or tie them? I just traded in my two horse straight load for a stock trailer with a center gate. I have taken my mare on two trial runs around the neighborhood, one tied and one untied. When she was tied she seemed to spend her time stuffed against the front, sideways, trying to look backwards. When loose, she mainly faced the back at a slant, but would occasionally turn around in a circle. She seems a little nervous still about the new trailer but doesn't panic or anything. When we pulled back in at home she just stood and ate from her haybag when loose. When tied, she tended to paw and seemed more anxious for me to get her out.

Hubby said he could feel her moving when she turned around but nothing that made him feel like it would dangerous to pull with her loose.

Edited by Babygoose 2005-09-25 11:13 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-26 6:02 AM (#30968 - in reply to #30962)
Subject: RE: stock trailer question, tie or not?

Expert

to me this is about the same the ford/chevy arguement. there are good points for tying, and some people have good points for not. i tend to be in the middle and think the biggest concern is the horse. i generally tie. my 3 year old gets tied, period. my 20 year old doesnt seem to care either way. 
Cricket
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-09-26 6:23 AM (#30969 - in reply to #30962)

My horses prefer to look backwards in the stock trailer. If hauling just one I usually tie them to where they have enough room to turn in the direction they feel comfy in. I have hauled with them loose but rather tie them in less movement..
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-26 10:54 AM (#30976 - in reply to #30962)

Extreme Veteran

We have a similar trailer that we use to take them to the vet and farrier.  I always tie them.  This makes it easier to catch them to take them out and you don't have to worry about them moving around when you go to get the lead rope on them to take them out.  I have never had any troubles tying them in the stock trailer. 
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-27 3:20 PM (#31055 - in reply to #30962)

Regular

Someone told me of an accident where the escape door on a stock trailer came open going down the road and the untied horse inside jumped out to his death.  I always tie and since hearing of this, I encourage others to tie as well.  Horses should be taught to stand quietly when tied while eating, shoeing, washing, etc. and this also applies to trailering. 
equinetrans
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-29 7:28 AM (#31106 - in reply to #30962)
Subject: RE: Seek opinions on having trailer repainted?

The answer to this question is "It depends." As a driver, can you handle 1200 - 1500# suddenly moving while you're going to the Jersey Turnpike at 70 mph? The answer to this question depends on your driving skills, and tow vehicle. The problem is technically called surge and typically occurs in tankers when the fluid moves. We have the same problem when the horse moves and untied a horse has the greatest range of movement. Second question is the horse's preference. Is the horse constantly moving or does it pretty much settle into a position? Loose, the horse that constantly moves is going to drive you crazy as a driver. Problems with not tying are commonly felt when loading and unloading as you have to get the horse to stand in the trailer while loose. This is not a big problem, but something you need to plan ahead on.Doors opening during accidents should not happen. The doors on your trailer should have a lock, not only for accidents, but for that friendly family who wants to show junior your horse while your in the bathroom at a reststop. During an accident, you need to remember that 1200 - 1500# of horse are not going to be contained by a whole lot. Ropes will break, dividers will fold, and the horse is going to bounce around. Not much you can do about it.Personally I usually haul with horse lose. It creates a lot less stress (as measured by respiration and heartbeat) for the horse, and since I typically haul several hundred miles at a time, stress reduction is important to me.Jim Clark-Dawe
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 8:12 AM (#31107 - in reply to #31106)

Expert

Originally written by equinetrans on 2005-09-29 8:28 AM

The answer to this question is "It depends." As a driver, can you handle 1200 - 1500# suddenly moving while you're going to the Jersey Turnpike at 70 mph? The answer to this question depends on your driving skills, and tow vehicle. The problem is technically called surge and typically occurs in tankers when the fluid moves. We have the same problem when the horse moves and untied a horse has the greatest range of movement. Second question is the horse's preference. Is the horse constantly moving or does it pretty much settle into a position? Loose, the horse that constantly moves is going to drive you crazy as a driver. Problems with not tying are commonly felt when loading and unloading as you have to get the horse to stand in the trailer while loose. This is not a big problem, but something you need to plan ahead on.Doors opening during accidents should not happen. The doors on your trailer should have a lock, not only for accidents, but for that friendly family who wants to show junior your horse while your in the bathroom at a reststop. During an accident, you need to remember that 1200 - 1500# of horse are not going to be contained by a whole lot. Ropes will break, dividers will fold, and the horse is going to bounce around. Not much you can do about it.Personally I usually haul with horse lose. It creates a lot less stress (as measured by respiration and heartbeat) for the horse, and since I typically haul several hundred miles at a time, stress reduction is important to me.Jim Clark-Dawe
as a "driver" we should know better than to be running 70mph on the turnpike.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 10:26 AM (#31113 - in reply to #31107)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-09-29 9:12 AM

I'm not quite sure how big a road a "turnpike" is ... "eh"

But I can tell you that if I didn't run 70MPH (110KPH) down the 401 I'd have people piling into the back of me.... but that's a flat and straight"ish" 3 lane HWY.

On the other hand. Does anyone haul in a slant untied? I've been thinking about this lately as mine don't seem to do anything that would require tying.... my only concern is a horse eating off the floor and banging a head on the divider and freaking out.... is that just a silly concern?

Edited by MBRA518 2005-09-29 10:29 AM
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 10:44 AM (#31114 - in reply to #30962)

Extreme Veteran

Out here we call em freeways.....It is the same problem... 65+ or they are on yer butt and some of them are "drivers"..... I tie in a slant loose enough they can't get tangled but still never come to the end of the lead rope. I have tied open the divider and tied them but never loose. They say it is not a good idea to haul with the dividers open because it is hard on the hinges supporting all that weight bouncing down the road.  A short haul might be ok?! I like to keep them tied for the same reasons listed above.

Edited by xyzer 2005-09-29 10:52 AM
dazedbutnotconfused
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-29 1:05 PM (#31124 - in reply to #31113)

New User

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-09-29 9:26 AM

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-09-29 9:12 AM

I'm not quite sure how big a road a "turnpike" is ... "eh"

But I can tell you that if I didn't run 70MPH (110KPH) down the 401 I'd have people piling into the back of me.... but that's a flat and straight"ish" 3 lane HWY.

On the other hand. Does anyone haul in a slant untied? I've been thinking about this lately as mine don't seem to do anything that would require tying.... my only concern is a horse eating off the floor and banging a head on the divider and freaking out.... is that just a silly concern?

MBRA518

Just moved from Ontario to Alberta this year and I was suprised how many people (actually all I have run into here) do not tie their horses in ANY style trailer, including slants.  I however will still tie mine....

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 1:44 PM (#31125 - in reply to #30962)

Expert

umm......so the answer to people "piling up" is to drive faster???? surley i was not the only one listening in driving class. im pretty sure that was not even an option in the multiple choice. i suggest finding a slower road if youre uncomfortable being passed, although i doubt anyone will actually run into the back of your trailers for running a little under the speed limit. saftey first.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 1:47 PM (#31126 - in reply to #31113)

Expert

my only concern is a horse eating off the floor and banging a head on the divider and freaking out.... is that just a silly concern?

doesnt sound silly to me, im pretty sure "junior" would try to get under the divder to hang out with the other horse in the larger rear stall.
shelley
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 1:55 PM (#31127 - in reply to #30962)

I have never hauled my horses in a slant trailer with divider untied. It seems like there is always one that wants to put his head down and mess with the legs on the horse next to him, and then you have a fight over them. In stock trailers if they are in the front, I tie them towards the center gate so they can stand and look out the back.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 2:21 PM (#31129 - in reply to #31125)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-09-29 2:44 PM

umm......so the answer to people "piling up" is to drive faster???? surley i was not the only one listening in driving class. im pretty sure that was not even an option in the multiple choice. i suggest finding a slower road if youre uncomfortable being passed, although i doubt anyone will actually run into the back of your trailers for running a little under the speed limit. saftey first.

I don't mind being passed - it's the Loons that climb up your rear and try to force you to either move or speed up..... The traffic is pretty heavy around here and there are some real nutters - the side roads tend to be worse and I rather drive on the wider highways with the better roads..

As an aside - in Quebec I had a trucker actually try and hit me (I didn't have the trailer this time) because I was only doing 10KM over the speed limit and had left all of 3 car lengths in front of me.... tail gated my Jimmy so close all I could see behind me was grill (so probably 12 inch off my bumper) when that didn't make me move faster he literally pulled out to pass me and then came at me into my lane not once , but twice. I called 911 and they took down the info and assured me they'd never get him and it happens all the time..... I HATE driving through Quebec - and the back roads are worse as the Lumber trucks are on those and they are even crazier!

So yes - some nutters out there will actually hit you for going too slow

(disclaimer - I know not all truckers are nuts - but I've just encountered more than my share of crazies in that neck o the woods)

Edited by MBRA518 2005-09-29 2:23 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 4:33 PM (#31131 - in reply to #31129)

Expert

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-09-29 3:21 PM

[As an aside - in Quebec I had a trucker actually try and hit me (I didn't have the trailer this time) because I was only doing 10KM over the speed limit and had left all of 3 car lengths in front of me.... tail gated my Jimmy so close all I could see behind me was grill (so probably 12 inch off my bumper) when that didn't make me move faster he literally pulled out to pass me and then came at me into my lane not once , but twice. I called 911 and they took down the info and assured me they'd never get him and it happens all the time..... I HATE driving through Quebec - and the back roads are worse as the Lumber trucks are on those and they are even crazier!

So yes - some nutters out there will actually hit you for going too slow

(disclaimer - I know not all truckers are nuts - but I've just encountered more than my share of crazies in that neck o the woods)

as one who takes pride in my profession, let me apologize for that incident.  however it is unlikely he actually was trying to hit you, he was probably just pissed off(for some stupid reason no doubt) and trying to "teach you a lesson".  these stories are a dime a dozen, i hear them from both sides, the truckers that think its funny and the 4 wheelers it scares the crap out of. even in my tractor/trailer im not immune from the dumbasses. ive had other truck drivers chase me down and run up beside me at the off ramps beating on my door. of course its alot harder to bully someone when youre both the same size vehicle.

i still hold to the limit or under, car, truck or tractor. and besides........if i was going to have a case of bumper cars, id sure rather be going slower than faster.

equinetrans
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-29 5:15 PM (#31133 - in reply to #31107)

Try driving under 70 on something like the New Jersey Turnpike and see how long you dare to do it! At some points this road is 6 or 7 lanes wide and the cruising speed is often around 75 - 80 for traffic. Part of it is Interstate 95 and the rest is a good substitute for staying on Interstate 95 and avoiding Philadelphia. Also, when you go out west, you'll find many roads with 70 or 75 mph speed limits. Again, going slow leaves you as a target for the drivers obeying the speed limit. They have to realize that you're not going at the speed limit and if they are tired, they might not realize it until they hit you. Speed is not a problem; vehicles not flowing with traffic is. The New Jersey Turnpike is also not a "freeway." Costs something like $20 in tolls to go its length.Jim Clark-Dawe
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 5:43 PM (#31134 - in reply to #30962)

Extreme Veteran

When I used to live in California they could give you a ticket for impeading traffic! They considered it unsafe to resist the "FLOW" of traffic. Don't get me wrong I do agree speed kills! I look for a sweet spot where I don't have to pass or get tailgated...it may be 60 on a 55 or 70 on a 65... hmmmmm....tying a horse in the trailer...Oh yeah!!! Run with a CB and you really hear how some truckers think! I think they forgot who they haul all that stuff for! Then again I have met some real nice ones....and some really stupid 4wheelers! 

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 5:52 PM (#31135 - in reply to #31133)

Expert

Originally written by equinetrans on 2005-09-29 6:15 PM

Try driving under 70 on something like the New Jersey Turnpike and see how long you dare to do it! At some points this road is 6 or 7 lanes wide and the cruising speed is often around 75 - 80 for traffic. Part of it is Interstate 95 and the rest is a good substitute for staying on Interstate 95 and avoiding Philadelphia. Also, when you go out west, you'll find many roads with 70 or 75 mph speed limits. Again, going slow leaves you as a target for the drivers obeying the speed limit. They have to realize that you're not going at the speed limit and if they are tired, they might not realize it until they hit you. Speed is not a problem; vehicles not flowing with traffic is. The New Jersey Turnpike is also not a "freeway." Costs something like $20 in tolls to go its length.Jim Clark-Dawe

now, now no reason to get hostile. and i have driven all over this fine country, thank you very much.  i hear that same line constantly about atlanta in my current home state of sc. i have no trouble running the limit or a touch under there(atlanta) either, and have yet to be run into.

and what does out west have to do with the turnpike? im not referencing the actual mph. been 90mph at 80,000 pounds more than once out west. in the middle of the desert thats not really "fast". speed is relative.

and the other driver " have to realize " is a strange approach to justify speeding. what about the drunks, cell phones, screaming kids, paper readers, dinner eaters????????

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-29 6:40 PM (#31137 - in reply to #31133)

Expert

Equine, I tried before to explain the fact that sometimes you HAVE to "go with the flow" or risk causing an accident from the idiots that want to play race track.  I live in PA and routinely travel on 78, 95, and the PA turnpike.  I KNOW what you are talking about.  When the speed limit is 65 and you are only doing 55 or 60 because you are  not confident in your rig, you CAN get pushed around and have people cut in front of you making things worse.  My brother was once on 81 in PA going the actual speed limit of 40 in a work zone.  A cop pulled him over and was furious with my brother because he was not "keeping up with the flow of traffic".  My brother couldn't believe it but you'd better believe he drove with the flow form then on!
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-29 11:06 PM (#31156 - in reply to #30962)

Extreme Veteran

Leaving this Saturday for a week vacation and it'll be about six hours driving.  With the price of fuel I plan to put it on cruise control and try to get my best mileage.  I had someone once that ended up being the first real road rage I've encountered and I've decided since then that if that happens again, I'll just pull over and let them pass.  Figure there's no since in risking an accident and once they went by at least I didn't have to deal with them anymore.

When I travel I tie my horses.  I have drop windows on one side and slats on the other and it's a slant load.  I've taken the divider out just because I feel it's safer for the horse. When I take two, they're two horses that travel well together.  I have one that I had problems with and I reverse load him and he does fine traveling with his butt to the traffic.  When I put him in the trailer I don't even had to ask him to turn around, he just automatically turns himself around and waits to be tied.

BerlinRoque'
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-29 11:36 PM (#31158 - in reply to #30962)
Subject: RE: stock trailer question, tie or not & bad mannered drivers

when we haul its ususlly no less than 6...specially this time of year as it is packing and hunting season.  We don't even use dividers unless we use the first compartment for more stuff like wall tents.

Our studs are hauled right with everybody else. It is not a good idea to haul horses loose unless they are packed pretty close and I would never haul that way very far.  If you tie them they have a chance to recover if they should slip by using the tie as help to keep them from going down.  If I see all the noses sticking out now and again then I know they are all standing.

Livestock can throw you off enough to put it in the ditch.  I have worked with my vets for many years and have seen some things that you can't believe could happen and its almost always the human that has made the bad judgement.

as far as truckers or anyone doing stupid things on the road...you can call 911 and report it to the state police and tell them you'll sign the ticket....I did that 4 times in a trip to N Idaho over a weekend...one guy they arrested, cuffed and stuffed on the spot...the other 3 got tickets.  Take the time to do this and it will make them think twice about pulling this on someone the next time.

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-03 7:49 AM (#31244 - in reply to #30962)

Veteran

I've always hauled untied in a stock, straight load and slant.  They ride in the current slant with head up or down.  I've seen them bump the divider but they know it's there and know what it is.  I personally feel that a rope or tie down can cause a horse to panic and pull even more if they feel the need to move because of road conditions and can't.  Personally, I like leather seats, air conditioning, PS, cruise, AM/FM/tape/CD, and air bags.  Kids should definately be tied in the back seat.
BerlinRoque'
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-03 8:38 AM (#31247 - in reply to #30962)

everyone has their own preference but if you look at the accidents that come in to some of the clinics many of them that are seriously injured are ones that aren't tied.  The bad ones with dividers are another thing...serious back injuries from falling and coming up or trying to under the divider.

I swear that humans aren't as smart as society gives us credit for....most of it is lack for horse sense.  There are more and more people getting into horses for the first time and not getting the proper education before purchasing this big animal. 

I sell to a specific group of people but not all of those are as competant as they should be...people with the title of 'breeder' and don't know their pedigrees, conformation or faults....I pass them up.

It all comes down to safety and common sense...many people are afraid to haul but if you practice on back roads and parking lots, know your trailer, truck and horses then you are just having to watch out for the other guy.  Something else that seems to be a lost art is the time it takes a horse to learn patience at the hitching post.  My horses don't paw.... ever...they will stand for days tied up if necessary....if they paw in hunting camp and destory the ground cover you can get some grief from the Forest Service out here. 

Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-10-03 9:44 AM (#31250 - in reply to #30962)

I took my mare back to the trainers last week and ended up tying her. But I moved the tie back a slat so that she could still reach her hay bag at the front but also swing to face the back. She seemed much happier being able to look behind her. She wasn't tied long enough to turn around or get tangled up just long enough that she could swing her butt from a forward facing slant position to a backwards facing slant position. Probably the way I will transport her from now on. If I pull in someplace and stop for a rest break I can just unclip her and let her rest loose.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)