'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Good trail horse

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-08 8:49 AM
29 replies, 7603 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-12-04 11:41 AM (#33735 - in reply to #30943)
Subject: RE: Good trail horse

When I see "ridden by a child"  I worry.....these kids can ride anything with hair on it....  Need to see horse advertised as ridden by arthritic middle aged short woman....now that would possibly be worth looking at!!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cinqchevaux
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-04 4:37 PM (#33739 - in reply to #33735)

Veteran

......Need to see horse advertised as ridden by arthritic middle aged short woman....now that would possibly be worth looking at!!!!

Rose, how true!! That horse would sure get my attention.

Alot of great suggestions and support in my frustration of looking for a dependable trail horse; Thank you! In the meantime, I'm actually becoming a better rider thru my spooky, snorty gelding. ;-)

Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-12-06 11:59 AM (#33792 - in reply to #30943)

Veteran

"Ridden by a child" is most often NOT a positive thing, but many beginners think it is. Same with "rode all summer long at a Bible camp.", "Used as a lesson horse" etc. It's been my experience as a somewhat green horse buyer that phrases like that often mean the horse has been mostly ridden by very inexperienced people...so they've been allowed to get away with lots of stuff, and do basically what they want, not what the rider wants. Or, they've been jerked around so much, they have a real attitude. In addition, just because they have ridden countless mindless circles in a roundpen or mile after mile of "nose to tail" trail riding with a kid on them doesn't make them a good trail horse. Just wait until you ask them to ride out on their own, or do something other than follow. So be careful (speaking from experience here), don't fall for those kind of lines...try to figure out the real meaning. I have done much better with horses that were rode A LOT by experienced trail riders and cowboys...those horses know how to work, and have been taught the rider is in charge, not them.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-12-07 9:50 PM (#33844 - in reply to #30943)

Extreme Veteran

Hi cinqchevaux. There is a guy up here near Spokane, Washington who trains great trail and ranch horses. He took my horse for 2 months and it made all the difference in the world. He rode him over mountains, through rivers, across and up the middle of creeks, and even worked cattle with him several days a week. He raises Quarter Horses too and I think he usually has a horse or two for sale at any time. He takes horses in for training too. I really liked the work he did...calm, firm, consistant riding and lots of long slow miles. I can give you his name, number and email address if you are interested. *
cinqchevaux
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-08 8:49 AM (#33855 - in reply to #30943)

Veteran

Hi cowgirl98034; Sure, pass this guy's info on to me. You can PM me if you wish.  My gelding just went into training last week for 30 days of "confidence building", so we'll see how he is after that. He has no problem moving/sorting cattle, crossing water, up and down hills, over logs, etc, just really hates bicycles, motorcycles, anything white, or anything blowing.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)