'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
flatbed assistance

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-29 11:47 AM
3 replies, 2695 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jhavniear
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-23 7:31 PM (#30893)
Subject: flatbed assistance

need some advice..looking to replace 2005 dodge 1 ton dually bed with flatbed, would like to have ramps for atv or even to get into bed I have 1 of those sleepers for p/u, so with the sleeper (32'') and dually you can barely see in the bed (height) I'm getting a little long in the tooth & don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep crawling over pickup bed or tailgate. I have gn & bp trailers, but the gn's are giving me trouble because I can't get close to hitch without a climb. Appreciate any help thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-24 7:28 AM (#30910 - in reply to #30893)
Subject: RE: flatbed assistance

Expert

Originally written by jhavniear on 2005-09-23 7:31 PM

need some advice..looking to replace 2005 dodge 1 ton dually bed with flatbed, would like to have ramps for atv or even to get into bed I have 1 of those sleepers for p/u, so with the sleeper (32'') and dually you can barely see in the bed (height) I'm getting a little long in the tooth & don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep crawling over pickup bed or tailgate. I have gn & bp trailers, but the gn's are giving me trouble because I can't get close to hitch without a climb. Appreciate any help thanks.

I bought a 3500 (DRW) chassis/cab and had a Hillsborough aluminum flatbed put on it.
NOT CHEAP, but I've been very pleased with it. I've built wooden sides from 6 by 5/4 PT decking in such a way that I can use up to 3 boards at any of the 4 positions, e.g. 3 at the front and 2 at the back with the gn trailer, 3 all round with the bp trailer, etc. I can pop boards off and EASILY lean over to do the gn hook up, no need to climb into the bed.

Yes, I'd do it again - maybe in '06, '07, or '13 - depends, I think the D-Max and it's trannie are going to last.

I could take some dig pics and e-mail them to you if you wish.

jhavniear
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 10:15 AM (#31112 - in reply to #30893)

I would appreciate some pictures, did you get a cab & chasis? is there a market for the p/u bed? what size flat bed do you prefer? do you use the same bed on any truck you want or brand specific? thanks.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-29 11:47 AM (#31120 - in reply to #31112)

Expert

Originally written by jhavniear on 2005-09-29 10:15 AM

I would appreciate some pictures, did you get a cab & chasis? is there a market for the p/u bed? what size flat bed do you prefer? do you use the same bed on any truck you want or brand specific? thanks.

Yes, I bought the truck as a chassis/cab.
One thing of interest is that there is typically a slightly longer cab to axle distance than with the "bed delete" option. Only a couple or three inches, but it COULD make a difference between a miss and some deep dents when turning >90 degrees (-:
It "seems" that take-off beds go for $600 to $800 around here, according to length, width (single vs dually) condition and demand. You can order a regular pick-up with the "bed delete" option for a savings of about that much.
The GM & Chevv can get by well with a 7ft 6in wide flat, they "recommend" 8ft for the Fords (where I went in VT, your truck fit-up places may have differing opinions on that). This is for the DRW trucks, 7ft might work OK with 3/4 ton SRW, I'm guessing on that. The Hillsborough is a general fit, they mess with the mounting brackets to make it fit your frame. In my previous post I had meant to say that the trap door and gooseneck hitch are all built in ("Integrated") to the platform, so there is a ~$500 value in not having to buy that separately. It all seems to have been designed to work with a gooseneck trailer (surprise ?), no need to worry about corner clearance or hitch position relative to the axle, that is all taken care of.

If there is a "negative" it is in the fact that the hitch ball is "Down a hole" under the trap door. This is GREAT for closing up the hatch and using the truck as a truck, but it DOES mean that you have to crank the coupler out of the hole and clear of the bed when you detach.

If (when) I do it again I'd probably go for a longer truck, 84 inch cab to axle vs the 60 inch that I now have, this would give space for a few more things ahead of the trailer and even BETTER >90 degree turning capability.

Rainy and overcaste today, not a good pics day, b'sides the truck is still dirty from the week-end.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)