'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ground Control Shoes by Polonyx?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-24 9:11 PM
8 replies, 5161 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 1:38 AM (#30839)
Subject: Ground Control Shoes by Polonyx?

Elite Veteran

Anyone tried these shoes? Do they stay on? Were they easy for the farrier to apply? thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 8:16 AM (#30855 - in reply to #30839)
Subject: RE: Ground Control Shoes by Polonyx?

Expert

I had two friends that tried them.  So my knowledge is very limited and second hand.

No big deal to install. Friend does his own horses. Put them on and rasp to shape.

He rides A LOT. Endurance  rides every two weeks.  Conditioning rides in between. Mostly in Western Colorado high mountain desert. Rocky hard terrain.

His complaint was the nail holes opened up from the wear.  The shoes flex. But that flexing causes the nails to wear the holes out. The shoes themselves held up, But the nails begin moving in loose nail holes. Which in turn caused hoof wall problems. He went back to steel shoes.

If you don't ride a 100+miles a week like him, or spend your time on softer ground than our Rocky Mountains, they may be just fine.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 8:46 AM (#30858 - in reply to #30855)

Elite Veteran

ThanksI would like to try something with rubber or polyurethane. My gelding is off the track and starts to scramble while traversing over rocks and such when he feels the metal shoes start to slide on the rocks.Also noticing that he is starting to have a lot of popping(arthritis)in his neck and shoulders and would like to use something that would help with coccussion on the joints.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-23 9:20 PM (#30902 - in reply to #30839)

Might ask your farrier about rock pads and driltec (sp?). I have driltec on my main trail horse's back shoes. My secod horse has no driltec but wears rock pads on her front feet because she is very tender footed and has had a bout of laminitis. Good luck with your horse.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 9:43 PM (#30905 - in reply to #30839)

Expert

There are many choices for better footing on rocks. I suspect for the casual rider, the Ground Control shoes would be fine.

Here in Utah plain steel shoes do well on our Utah shale and red sandstone. Just enough bite in that softer rock. But when I go up to Wyoming and ride on their Granite, I don't want steel shoes at all. Aluminum shoes or apply the Drilltec/Boran to the shoes for better traction.  Nothing like a 4 legged skid down a large sheet of Granite to get your blood pumping.

The addition of Drilltec is just a welding process where the farrier applies a harder compound to spots on the shoe. Much like a Caulk, it adds traction. great on ice, snow, and rocks, sometimes not so good in softer footing where you want some give to prevent strains or pulls in the horses legs.

You may even consider some Easy boots or Boa boots.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 10:14 PM (#30906 - in reply to #30905)

Elite Veteran

I have tried the easy boots but the strap in the back rides up the hairline and rubs.I have had to get off several times during a ride to push this back down but strap keeps coming back up.I have it on as tight as it will go.Any suggestions? I really am trying to stay away from steel or aluminum shoes. My gelding doesn't have alot of hoof under his heels. I have him barefoot now because farrier made his heels contracted on front feet.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 10:20 PM (#30907 - in reply to #30839)

Elite Veteran

How long does it take for contracted front feet to go back to normal and is going barefoot the best thing for this? I had a couple of people recommend going barefoot, but does anyone know better? Thanks
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-24 6:34 PM (#30927 - in reply to #30839)

Elite Veteran

I know a couple who use ground control on arabs extensilvly and trail ride every weekend and he barrel races.  I am going to try them on my half arabs.  Probably next spring, after their loading problems are solved.?
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-24 9:11 PM (#30928 - in reply to #30839)

to Jackbrat...we have a crippled pony (rescue girl) who had among her many problems, severely contracted heels all around.....we kept her barefoot in a mud lot (yes, you do have to clean the feet and we put PadKote in her feet about once every 10 or so days. PadKote is for dogs but works extremely well on horses.) After about 3 months, the heels had spread considerably. She is still barefooted and no longer in mud and is still improving. We believe the mud really helped speed up the process. Good luck. I have also used Davis boots with human althetic socks as padding for the horse's ankles.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)