'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ballmount Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-22 10:28 AM
3 replies, 2466 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LMU
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-21 10:48 PM (#30771)
Subject: Ballmount Questions

Hello.

I just bought a truck today, and it's what I've been looking for basically. It's a '91 GMC 2500 (3/4 ton) with a tow package, V8, 5.0 Liter in excellent shape. The previous owner from whom I bought it from used to haul a 5th wheel as it also has a spot to hook up lights in the truck bed as well as at the hitch.

It has the square receiver, but not the hitch.  I'm giong to be pulling a 2 or 3 horse trailer. I don't know which ball mount to get. The truck is fairly low unlike today's trucks which are really high. I don't know the height of the trailer, either. My friend measured her older  straight 2H trailer and said it was 18" from the coupler to the ground.  Does that sound right?

The ballmount question refers basically to the rise and drop of them. So how do you know what to get? Also, isn't a 2" ball fine for a trailer? There are so many ballmounts and balls out there. I know I need a class 3 already.

Sorry for all the questions, but as you can tell its my very first truck to tow with. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!!

Lisa

Edited by LMU 2005-09-21 10:50 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-21 11:33 PM (#30775 - in reply to #30771)
Subject: RE: Ballmount Questions

Regular

Hello and welcome!This is a great place to ask and answer lots of trailer questions.When pulling a bumper pull the idea is to have the trailer ride as close to level as possible. If you already have the trailer use the jack to make the trailer level. Then measure from the ground the distance to the bottom of the tounge. Then go to your truck and measure from the ground to the bottom of your reciever tube. More that likely the distance from the truck to gound is higher you will want a drop hitch that corresponds to the difference in the two measurements. Typically somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-4 inches.Important you must get the correct size ball for the trailer. A 2" ball will not properly fit a 2 5/16" coupler. Both sizes are common on horse trailers. So get the correct size. Also please make sure you have a brake controller. Do not depend on the "big" truck to do the stoping for both the truck and trailer. If you don't have one I would reccomend the Prodigy. Very nice unit and many people have them and are pleased with them. Being the your truck is older You might need to have someone mechanically inclined install this for you.Please don't be afraid to ask questions it keeps the rest of us safer.Kevin
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-22 8:42 AM (#30783 - in reply to #30771)

Expert

The ony thing I'd add to the previous reply is EMPHASIS that you need to match the ball and coupler sizes. A 2 inch ball will fit in a 2 5/16 inch coupler and might APPEAR to be OK, but is VERY LIKELY to pop out if/when you hit bumps. VERY BAD things are likely to happen soon after that.
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-22 10:28 AM (#30795 - in reply to #30771)

Regular

Also,

When you bought this truck did the previous owner say when was the last time he changed fluids (oil/trans/differentials/radiator) in the vehicle? Has it been through a tuneup new belts hoses spark plugs? If not, you might want to have that done for ease of mind. The truck may be well taken care of body wise but as always better to err on the side of caution.  The worst thing to happend is to be stranded on the highway with horses in the trailer.

Kevin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)