'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Pendulum Brake Controller

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-24 6:29 PM
13 replies, 4939 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

1st Buy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-20 11:09 PM (#30710)
Subject: Pendulum Brake Controller

New User

I really enjoy this website!  It has been a great help in my search for a first trailer!  I've narrowed my choices down to an Adam trailer and I am glad to see someone else's post regarding their quality.  But I am becoming confused by the options for brake controllers.

I will buy a BP 2 horse straight load trailer that will be towed by a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a factory tow package, at least for awhile.  The trailer weight will be about 2600 lbs and if I haul both horses, I would expect the full weight to be about 4800 lbs, less than 5000 for sure.  The vehicle tow capacity is 6000 lbs.  We'll be going only short distances (<30 mile trips) in the relative flat lands of Ohio.  I know that I need a brake controller and from my reading, I thought I would get a Prodigy.

The trailer salesman recommended a pendulum style controller, rather than the Prodigy because he said that would be better stopping action in case I needed to get my vehicle stopped quick.  The pendulum controller was less than half the cost, so I don't know why a salesman would recommend this if it were not true. 

Can anyone explain the differences for me?  Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-21 7:19 AM (#30720 - in reply to #30710)
Subject: RE: Pendulum Brake Controller

Veteran

I use the pend. type controller. It basically has a very sensitive mercury type level in it that senses when your tow vehicle is stopping -- just like you what you feel when braking. The more the level moves the more power it sends to the trailer brakes.

The Prodigy type controller is "computer-chip" controlled. I believe that it senses the time you have the brake applied and sends more power based on that time.

The problem I had with my Prodigy - and I am still not sure it was not defective - that where I live with long sloping hills - if I applied my brakes way in advance of a stop to just start slowing down and kept the brakes applied (though very lightly) the brake controller would continue to increase the power applied to the brakes to the point that I would have to let off the tow brakes and then reapply them. To solve the problem, I could turn down the power adjustment (gain?) on the controller but then I didn't have the power I needed for hard stops.

The pend. type that I have on two trucks works very well. Light braking produces a light current to the trailer. Nose dive the truck and full power goes back instantly.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-21 2:53 PM (#30748 - in reply to #30710)

Expert

1ST buy i would do a google search on brake controllers, it wont take long to learn all you need to know. also i cant imagine why a salesman would push a "cheaper" product. i use a prodigy, and like it alot. very few people have anything bad to say about them.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-21 2:58 PM (#30750 - in reply to #30720)

Expert

Originally written by barry on 2005-09-21 8:19 AM

The Prodigy type controller is "computer-chip" controlled. I believe that it senses the time you have the brake applied and sends more power based on that time.The problem I had with my Prodigy - and I am still not sure it was not defective - that where I live with long sloping hills - if I applied my brakes way in advance of a stop to just start slowing down and kept the brakes applied (though very lightly) the brake controller would continue to increase the power applied to the brakes to the point that I would have to let off the tow brakes and then reapply them. To solve the problem, I could turn down the power adjustment (gain?) on the controller but then I didn't have the power I needed for hard stops..
actually the prodigy uses an accelerometer not a timer. and im curious when you say the brake controller incresed power, did the digital display show the increase or did you just feel the trailer brakes more? i have dealt with what sounds like a similar problem, and it actually turned out to be the trailer brakes, braking harder the warmer/hotter they got.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-21 3:23 PM (#30751 - in reply to #30710)

Veteran

The trailer brakes "braked" more and more the longer I gently rode the truck brakes. As I stated, I think the unit may have been defective. I installed the Prodigy on my Ram when it was new. The trailer brakes worked fine on my old truck. I traded the Prodigy for the Tekonsha Voyager which is what I had and I again had no problems. Just recently switched trailers to the CM 3H S BP and just hooked on and pulled. Only a minor knob adjustment. I can't argue with the rave reviews of the Prodigy but for under 30 mile trips on level ground both types would serve the OP well. The Prodigy does have an optional pocket type holder where you can run the wires on multiple vehicles and just move the unit from vehicle to vehicle since you do NOT have to go through the leveling process with that technology.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-21 3:32 PM (#30752 - in reply to #30710)

Extreme Veteran

I didn't know there was a time activated brake controller....They kind of explain the differences at this site http://www.etrailer.com/faq/brakecontrol.asp The Prodigy is listed in the pendulum type. I have had several types (no time types) I like the prodigy most. You can adjust the voltage (gain) according to the load or trailer before you hit the road. The boost is nice on the open road but around town I shut it off. 

1st Buy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-22 5:04 PM (#30820 - in reply to #30710)

New User

Thanks for all your responses.  I'm leaning towards the Prodigy again for the feature of not having to level each time.  An auto parts store quoted me about $211 for the unit + connector cable.  Online, I see Prodigy selling for around $100.  I'm not sure of the installation costs or what it will involve with the Jeep but a local repair shop quoted me $225 for installation alone.  The auto parts store thought the Jeep would already be prewired for a braking system, but the repair shop also wants to install a surge protector.

Does this sound reasonable?

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-22 5:32 PM (#30821 - in reply to #30820)

Expert

Originally written by 1st Buy on 2005-09-22 6:04 PM

Thanks for all your responses.  I'm leaning towards the Prodigy again for the feature of not having to level each time.  An auto parts store quoted me about $211 for the unit + connector cable.  Online, I see Prodigy selling for around $100.  I'm not sure of the installation costs or what it will involve with the Jeep but a local repair shop quoted me $225 for installation alone.  The auto parts store thought the Jeep would already be prewired for a braking system, but the repair shop also wants to install a surge protector.

Does this sound reasonable?

IF the jeep is already prewired, $225 for the installation is high-way robbery. if it is not prewired that may be acceptable.... and i would want a real good explanation of what a "surge protector" is.

twh37918
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-09-22 6:35 PM (#30829 - in reply to #30710)

All the Tekonshia brake units are fine. The Prodigy is much simpler to "set". I recently changed from a voyager to a prodigy & am completely satisfied. It is worth the $40-$50 price difference (check out e-bay). Read the instructions with the unit & it will explain the "boost". I run an automotive-truck shop in the Knoxville area. Our time for installation & testing for a vehicle that wasn't prewired would be no more than 2 hours & there wouldn't be any point in buying the wiring adapter. If the truck was prewired, use the wiring adapter & installation should be no more than 1 hr. Check the hourly rates in your area. They could vary considerably!

1st Buy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-22 7:41 PM (#30831 - in reply to #30710)

New User

The $225 quote was for wiring, installation of the controller and also a surge protector.  The surge protector is to protect the vehicle's computer system, since the controller is connected to the vehicle's electrical system.  I had not seen surge protectors mentioned here or on any other website, soo thought I would check into it further.  The installation price may or may not be out of line...I'm too green to know, but I'd rather not buy something I don't need!

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 7:22 AM (#30845 - in reply to #30710)

Veteran

It would seem to me that if your vehicle is "pre-wired" it would include a fused circuit just like any other electrical component.

Me, when I have hooked up controllers on my own, I run the hot wire directly from the battery and use an in-line fuse. I do this so that the break controller has power all the time.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-23 1:01 PM (#30870 - in reply to #30710)

Extreme Veteran

I use a circut breaker if I have to wire it in myself, they at least will start working again when they cool off a bit... If the jeep is equiped with with a tow package (does it have the reciever and the brake trailer receptical on the rear already installed ....reread the post and yes you do!) and sence it is really a Dodge check and see if it uses the same plug under the dash as the trucks have. If it does when you order your prodigy you can order the direct adapter conector that directly hooks up the controller to the recepital under the dash...=no wireing! There is a fuse already in the circut.(should be) That way all you have to do is mount the brake controller and away you go! I poked around this site and the controller plug looks the same as the dodge truck plug. http://www.wjjeeps.com/trailer.htm  Check with the Dodge dealer, they can tell you if the Dodge Ram and the Jeep are the same.

Edited by xyzer 2005-09-23 1:16 PM
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-24 10:41 AM (#30914 - in reply to #30710)

Extreme Veteran

That is way high.. 225.  Check with some other trailer places or RV dealers ... Rock'n M Trailers near Dayton put mine on for about 150. Not sure where you live in Ohio.

Jbsny

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-24 6:29 PM (#30926 - in reply to #30710)

Elite Veteran

We got the inertia or pendulem kind.  I guess they are the same kind.  On an F600.  Wrong.  The truck did not throw the inertia off enough to activate the brakes.  I had to take it to my trailer guy and he had to adjust them.  I would say they would be excellent for pick ups.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)