'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Parelli Natural Horsemanship - Experiences?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-19 2:26 PM
17 replies, 5583 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-20 5:57 PM (#30697)
Subject: Parelli Natural Horsemanship - Experiences?

Regular

I was wondering if anyone has tried Parelli.  If so, how did it go?  

Edited by verushka 2005-09-20 6:00 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-20 10:40 PM (#30708 - in reply to #30697)
Subject: RE: Parelli Natural Horsemanship - Experiences?

Elite Veteran

My horse was used as a demo horse several years ago.  I'm not a Parelli "groupie", but have continued using the techniques successfully since then.  My horses are more responsive, polite and seem quite pleased with themselves after playing games.  I've used John Lyons methods also with great success.  I think you can learn alot from all of the new "whisperers" and use ideas from all of them and get great results.
sunnyarizona
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-09-21 1:26 PM (#30741 - in reply to #30697)

Regular

I read his first book 15 years ago Horse-Man-Ship and it reinforced a lot of things I already thought were 'truisms" in dealing with horses. I'm glad he is still out there. On the weekend of Sept. 10th over 1500 people attended a weekend event at the Parelli Pagosa Springs ranch. I would say he and his wife have positively influenced many horse owners and consequently many horses have benefited.
The least expensive way to start is to read Horse Man Ship. Often you can find local trainers that have absorbed his methods and that of other well known trainers and can effectively teach you.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-21 10:29 PM (#30770 - in reply to #30697)

Just remember one size does not fit all;  take from each of the clinicians what you are comfortable with and can use and discard the rest.  Beware of clinicians marketing tack, equipment or gear.  Personally, I like Mark Rashid, Brenda Imus and Mark Allen.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-21 11:31 PM (#30774 - in reply to #30770)

Elite Veteran

It depends on the trainer/horse. I watch Pat, John Lyons, Clint Anderson and so on. Some things I like and some I don't. Some things work on my horse and some don't. I like using a variety of training methods. At times, you can not train 2 horses the exact same way. A good trainer will know different methods to get the job done. If one does not work, try another one.  I don't think any of these people are the "God" of horse training. BUT, they do have good tips and ways of training.
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-23 3:59 PM (#30882 - in reply to #30697)

Veteran

While I think Parelli has a lot of great ideas and things to teach us, I did not drink the Parelli Kool-Aid. My biggest issue with Parelli is that he sells his training packages as a "one size fits all" system and as other posters have said, every person/trainer is different and every horse is different. I personally don't think you can sell a training package that will fit every horse. Instead, I think if you understand the concepts behind the training, there are several ways to convey that concept and what works on one horse may or may not work on another. I do use a lot of Parelli's techniques and the ones I use do work very well on many horses but I also use some John Lyons and Clinton Anderson, as well. If you have a chance to go to a Parelli Seminar, I would highly recommend it. It's amazing what his horses do for him.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-24 8:29 AM (#30911 - in reply to #30697)

Expert

parelli teaches a system- the training methods are not new. They have been around for a long time, taught and used by good trainers. Since they are selling the product to a mostly female audience, its gets sappy and emotional rather than just plain old horsemanship. Its becomes a "entertainment" rather than horsemanship- sometimes.  
Montana
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-27 12:36 PM (#31050 - in reply to #30697)

I've had great experiences with Parelli. Building my leadership and my horse's confidence.  Whatever works!
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-27 3:29 PM (#31060 - in reply to #30697)

Elite Veteran

A trail riding friend of mine has studied Parelli extensively, traveling from FL to Col every summer to take many courses.  She bought a 3rd level horse and well..., I am not impressed with this horse.  The horse is the boss and knows it.  She takes off with her, won't stop, does basically whatever she wants, etc so I don't have a very high opinon of the methods.  She paid alot of money for a horse I wouldn't give 2 cents for. 

I have used several John Lyons methods with great success (trailer loading, one-rein stopping, etc), and I also have been impressed with several others.  I agree with the poster that you can find good things with several of them.

Montana
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-27 4:21 PM (#31061 - in reply to #30697)

She probably has a 3rd level horse and is a 1st level horse person.  I would bet if you gave that same 3rd level horse to a 3rd level horse person, or Linda Parelli, it would be different.  If you purchase a Grand Prix Dressage Horse for $100,000 and give it to a training level Dressage rider, you won't get Grand Prix Dressage Level movements from the horse.  It's not about the horse!
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-28 9:50 AM (#31077 - in reply to #30697)

Elite Veteran

I understand your point and agree with it, however, she's been attended extensive Parelli training for the past 5 years - has been to numerous other seminars, etc  She has trailered horses out to Colorado from Fla and spent months out there.  She's an Attorney, so (chuckle) I would assume that means she's fairly intelligent, but geeze this horse just runs all over her.  I have seen her do some pretty neat stuff, while mounting, tap on different parts of the body and the horse moved to shuffle over, but the horse doesn't stop and takes off at will.  Granted I haven't riddent his horse, but I'm just not impressed.  And she's had this horse for 3 years, plenty of time to work things out.  Just an observation.

Montana
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-28 3:38 PM (#31094 - in reply to #30697)

I think your friend needs to start over again.  The very first thing you are taught is to stop your horse safely!  Level 1 is riding your horse with one rein and bending to a stop.  Sounds like she missed some steps.  You can go to Colorado and take upper level courses and still have holes in your lower level tasks.  A Parelli trained horse is no different from any other horse, they will test you.  Linda's and Pat's test them all the time.  They just know what to do when it happens. 
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-09-30 7:24 PM (#31198 - in reply to #30697)

Regular

I only know about Parellis' techniques through word of mouth. I know new horse owners that think the sun rises and sets on them.

I also have had folks tell me that they feel Parelli seminars are more of a sales pitch to buy the videos --- meaning he tells you the "what" but you won't necessarily know the "how to" unless you spend money on the videos.

From watching all the trainers on RFDTV, I like Dennis Reis the best in terms of his approach with horses, but that doesn't mean I'd buy his videos either.

All of these folks are mostly geared toward the new horse owner who doesn't have anyone to fall back on for help. That is a good thing because there are so many new horse owners out there.

However, anyone new to horses needs to possess a certain amount of grit and a lot of common sense. Not only do the "textbooks" not always have all the answers, but if one can't appropriately stick to their guns when disciplining the children, the horse will most likely "rule" anyway.

All the Parelli's, Lyons, etc. videos won't do much good if the person in question has a timid personality. Even the best of horses will soon get the sense of that and will slowly start taking control.

One thing I might suggest if you are relatively new to horses, is maybe investing in one of Mark Rashid's books; although I have read mixed reviews of his books.

His writings remind me of how my grandpap taught me, so I have ordered "Considering The Horse" to see if his philosophy throughout the entire book holds true to the memories of my grandpap's teachings.

Mark Rashid's writings do not cover training techniques but rather offer up an understanding of how the horse thinks, an understanding herd dynamics, and how to make yourself the Passive Leader in order to get the horse to "peacefully" listen to you.

IMO, THAT is the first step to successful training anyway:)

Hope this rambling has helped some:)
Judy
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-10-02 10:33 AM (#31230 - in reply to #30697)

Pawalker........Mark Rashid requires the human to think......I have all of his books except the newest one which I am about to order...They are dog eared from being read and re read......
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-04 5:59 PM (#31325 - in reply to #31230)

Extreme Veteran

Parelli is definitely talented and experienced with horses.  He has been at it for a long time. I think he and his wife push his products and seminars too much though.  It's a turn off for me.   If you have some talent, lots of patience, lots of determination and consistency AND can learn to think like a horse, you can accomplish great things too.  Of  course, easier said than done.  Basically, in my opinion, all the popular trainers out there have been greatly influenced by Bill and Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt, the first to popularize natural horsemanship.  Every major trainer out there offers a variation of what these guys taught/teach.  I'd say pick a trainer that will help you accomplish your goals. 
AttractedCentaur
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-07 12:09 AM (#31388 - in reply to #30697)

I have only been into horses 2 years now. I took a level 1 course in February and learned more in that one weekend than my entire time with horses so far. I would highly recommend the Parelli courses. I also agree that you have to take what works for you and use it - whether it is from the Parelli's or from others.

Barry
T turning 3
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-11-19 1:04 PM (#33242 - in reply to #30697)

Purveyor of unconventional wisdom

Sorry, but I have seen more harm than good coming from PP.  Begiinning riders are the most likely to follow this type of teaching and also most likely to get hurt from a spoiled ill mannered horse.  JMHO

Horses don't need to play games, they need a job and they need to know who is boss.  I am not talking abuse, I am talking herd order.

GiddyUpNgo
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2005-11-19 2:26 PM (#33258 - in reply to #30697)

King of the Hill

There are too many Parelli patrons out there who wear the "label" horse trainer, but in reality know very little, so beware.   Each horse is different, and not equine robots, which I think the Parelli plan is geared towards.

Lastly, when I look at most of the techniques he employs, I see a lot of them that have been around for 41 years or more.    He just packages them with a commercial flavor and puts a large price tag on them.   Not real fond of a "carrot stick" either...LoL

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)