'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tranny replacement options for Ford 7.3L diesel

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-24 12:03 PM
9 replies, 3388 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-18 4:59 PM (#30569)
Subject: Tranny replacement options for Ford 7.3L diesel

Elite Veteran

I just blew the tranny in my 2001 F350 4x4. Was just moving the 5th wheel around to wash it. Quite a bit of forward/back movement to position but I am surprised that little bit of work blew it out. Only 54k miles. Humor: Good news is I got my gravel driveway oiled, bad news is its with my tranny fluid.

Any case, back to the issue. I have an extended warranty on it, unfortunately only valid at a Ford dealer, and am having it towed in this afternoon. I wanted to get everyone's input from those who have been through this, as to what my replacement tranny options are. Have the replacement trannys for this model year been improved? Is there a "new and improved" version I should consider? I am willing to put some extra $$ in to get an upgraded product if there is something better out there that is proven.

This happened just an hour ago, so will be talking to the Ford service folks tomorrow and would like to have some idea of options by then. Any insight would be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
equinetrans
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-18 7:47 PM (#30576 - in reply to #30569)
Subject: RE: Seek opinions on having trailer repainted?

I'd suggest going to thedieselstop.com. Lots of very knowledgeable people who know their Ford diesels. My guess is that the reason that you cooked thr transmission is that a lot of back and forth motion doesn't produce much air flow to cool the transmission. Especially if you were backing up hill with a trailer. That can toast a transmission really quick.

Jim Clark-Dawe
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-18 7:59 PM (#30578 - in reply to #30576)
Subject: RE: Tranny options for Ford 7.3L diesel

Elite Veteran

You have a good point there - part of the back and forth was pushing the trailer uphill - thanks for that insight!

I have a similar post on dieselstop.com - but thought I would see if anyone here had any additional insight.

Thanks!
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-18 10:10 PM (#30590 - in reply to #30569)
Subject: RE: Tranny replacement options for Ford 7.3L diesel

Elite Veteran

I saw your post over there as well. I vote for the BTS.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-18 10:14 PM (#30591 - in reply to #30569)

Expert

There are several possibilities, first is that you may have ONLY blown a hose or coolant line. I'd be very careful to check this, there is at least a chance that your "extended warranty" will only cover replacement of the hose in such a case and NOT any damage that results from driving it after that.

Then there are the terms of the EW itself. You MIGHT be able to take the cash equivalent of getting a factory trannie put in at a dealership, then shop around for whatever you want. Maybe, maybe not. There are some heavier duty innards sets available at speed shops - but from your description this trannie hasn't "burned out", it "sprung a leak", not something a beef-up kit would prevent..

I'm adding this a couple of days later, no need for another post.
There was a thread on one of the diesel sites a few months ago about a "review" that was done on auto trannie guts kits. Basically they found there to be very little difference in the basic oem repair/replace kits and the "heavy duty" and hop up kits. It might be worth searching out that review, I didn't bother to bookmark it at the time and it was too long ago to be in my history log. I think in some cases they actually found the SAME parts in the kits, just a brightly colored box with a higher price (-:

Edited by Reg 2005-09-21 7:51 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-23 12:54 PM (#30868 - in reply to #30569)

Expert

So, any news ?
Rugby3
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 6:28 PM (#30888 - in reply to #30569)

I frequent the Super Duty forums of two places. TDS has already been mentioned and is a fantastic wealth of information. The other is http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php lots of information here as well.

I have not heard of any off the shelf replacement for the 4R100 but have heard very good things about some upgrades you can add to help improve this tranny. Tricumulator springs and Sonnax valves are two specific to the tranny. The next is replacing the small stock tranny cooler with a bigger one.

Last but well worth the cost is having the tranny rebuilt by Brians Truck Shop. He seems to be the most trusted, reputable rebuilder of these trannies from everyone on the boards and pretty much dares you to try and blow it up. His rebuilds are that good.

Reg, I would be interested in seeing the review about tranny internals being the same. I haven't come across that on any of the boards I have seen.

Best of luck on fixing your rig.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-23 8:03 PM (#30899 - in reply to #30569)

Elite Veteran

Update: Ended up just being the transmission pump seal, but it did damage the torque converter so that was replaced. Because the warranty was through Ford we did not have the option of doing any aftermarket upgrades, but apparently the replacement torque converter is bigger and better (triple vs. single or double disc and more surface area).
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-24 6:59 AM (#30909 - in reply to #30899)

Expert

Originally written by headhunter on 2005-09-23 8:03 PM

Update: Ended up just being the transmission pump seal, but it did damage the torque converter so that was replaced. Because the warranty was through Ford we did not have the option of doing any aftermarket upgrades, but apparently the replacement torque converter is bigger and better (triple vs. single or double disc and more surface area).

Hmmm, interesting.
For some odd reason I had the impression that the EW biz was (more or less) a failures/repairs insurance policy and COULDN'T be tied to the product manufacturer for the remedy (anti trust issue, or bundling/un-bundling), though the policy could be sold through them.

Comforting that they covered the consequential damage to the TQ and not JUST the $7 seal (-:

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-24 12:03 PM (#30917 - in reply to #30569)

Elite Veteran

I didn't know when I bought the EW that it would only be good at Ford dealers. I have a very good relationship with a top notch independent auto repair shop in my town and it is frustrating they can't do any of the warranty work. But at least its done and handled!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)