'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
GNs and smaller tow vehicles?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-15 1:06 PM
8 replies, 3299 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-09-15 5:51 AM (#30396)
Subject: GNs and smaller tow vehicles?

Extreme Veteran

I thought of something with all the GN talk and pulling with SUV's.

Now not that I'm looking to do it or anything , but has anyone ever pulled a GN with a compact truck??? Like a Dakota, Colorado, Ranger or something like that? You can get those small 2H GN that would be with in the weight limits of many of the smaller trucks but I don't think I've ever seen it done. I've seen plenty of people haul with trucks like that but it's always a BP - is there a reason for that - are they too low maybe? Or is it just that BPs of the size are more readily available? I would think that for a similar sized trailer a GN would be easier to haul than a BP. Has anyone else seen this done or done it? Just curious.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-15 7:23 AM (#30399 - in reply to #30396)
Subject: RE: GNs and smaller tow vehicles?

Extreme Veteran

It doesn't seem safe to pull a GN with one of those compact trucks. Usually the GN is much wider than the truck so huge towing mirrors would have to be used. The beds on those trucks are so small and short that permanent dents would be on both sides of the cab. Leaf springs would have to be installed as well for the back end to handle the load. These type of trucks are meant to hall bumper type hitch trailers only.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-15 8:31 AM (#30403 - in reply to #30396)

Elite Veteran

While most compact trucks wouldn't handle an LQ trailer, it could be done. Just not within the limitations of the truck. A Ford Ranger only has a towing capacity of 5800 pounds max, and the bed is only 6ft long. A standard gooseneck wouldn't work because of turn radius for one, as it would have to set 9 to 10" behind the rear axle which would kill the poor truck. A Dodge Dakota with a 4x4 supercab and hi output V8 is rated to tow 6950 pounds, and you might get a two horse on it, but why? The Dodge V8 dakota isn't going to get much better mpg than a larger truck once you add a hi output engine . So they might as well buy a larger truck to begin with.
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-15 8:35 AM (#30404 - in reply to #30396)

Regular

Coming home from work the other night, I saw a newer Dodge Dakota pulling a fifth wheel camper.  He had mirror extensions of about a foot I would guess.  Also I did not think that they made a hitch for that type of truck but I guess they do... Should have yelled to him he needed a dooley to pull that (lol) .  
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-15 8:38 AM (#30405 - in reply to #30396)

Expert

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-09-15 5:51 AM

I thought of something with all the GN talk and pulling with SUV's.

Now not that I'm looking to do it or anything , but has anyone ever pulled a GN with a compact truck??? Like a Dakota, Colorado, Ranger or something like that? You can get those small 2H GN that would be with in the weight limits of many of the smaller trucks but I don't think I've ever seen it done. I've seen plenty of people haul with trucks like that but it's always a BP - is there a reason for that - are they too low maybe? Or is it just that BPs of the size are more readily available? I would think that for a similar sized trailer a GN would be easier to haul than a BP. Has anyone else seen this done or done it? Just curious.

Without giving it much more than about a minute's thought, I'd say it COULD be done. There is about a 30 year old LUV just down the street from me that has dual rear wheels and all kinds of big truck pretense about it.
Lengthening the frame to get the cab to axle length, building a special box for it, or putting a flatbed on, getting enough springs and tires, etc. would all be WELL within the abilities of people who build up trucks as a hobby. Straight from the showroom floor the cab to axle distance would be the first issue, but an extender would get around that - maybe a LONG one ?
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-15 8:39 AM (#30406 - in reply to #30396)

Regular

Also the price between a half ton and a mid size truck is very minor sometimes a few hundred dollars.  I would expect most individuals would just pop for the half ton if they were thinking to pull a GN/Fifth wheel.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-15 8:52 AM (#30408 - in reply to #30399)

Expert

Originally written by MIfarmbabe on 2005-09-15 7:23 AM

It doesn't seem safe to pull a GN with one of those compact trucks. Usually the GN is much wider than the truck so huge towing mirrors would have to be used. The beds on those trucks are so small and short that permanent dents would be on both sides of the cab. Leaf springs would have to be installed as well for the back end to handle the load. These type of trucks are meant to hall bumper type hitch trailers only.

That was part of my intial reaction too.
There ARE folk hauling around narrow trailers (-:
Not ALL gooseneck trailers are 8ft wide, some aren't for "full size" horses. There MIGHT BE pony/mini owners using sheep trailers, for them a compact truck could work quite well. Gee, there could be a whole 'nother market segment - get those minis out of VW buses and minivans (Mini Vans).
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-09-15 9:59 AM (#30412 - in reply to #30396)

Extreme Veteran

Well the cab the axle length would be similar to a 4 door short box 1/2 ton wouldn't it? I've seen people haul with those.

I realize the economics of it (like I said - not looking to do it)- but was just wondering if it was possible. Also for some people the appeal of a compact truck is the size - not the gas milage. They are easier to park and such if hauling is not the main thing you do with the truck. I'm also not talking about going over limits. Around here there are quite a few 2H GN - some with small dressing rooms and some with no dressing room at all (horses head is in the GN like a manger) - I would think many of those would fall under the 5000# mark when loaded - so would be under the limits of many of those trucks. They are also only 7 ft wide which is plenty of space for most horses, especially in a straight load, so it wouldn't be that much wider than the truck - depending on the truck I guess - but it's the larger ones that would have the capacity for over 5000#.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-15 1:06 PM (#30419 - in reply to #30396)

Elite Veteran

I pulled a 2H aluminum GN w/2' dressing room with Dodge Dakotas. Trailer scales in at 3950 lbs. Both trucks were long bed, extended cab V-8. The first truck (1992 model) did great, never faltered. The second one (1998 model) needed a new rear end and new transmission after 3 years. Regardless, you are right at the outer limits of the truck's abilities. When hauling up hills or now that I have heavier horses I much prefer my full sized truck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)