'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Older Charmac trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-16 12:56 PM
1 replies, 2944 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Steerwrestle159
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-14 12:55 PM (#30371)
Subject: Older Charmac trailer

New User

Hey,

I was wonderin if anyone could give me

some insight on what an older trailer might be worth?  I am lookin at a '93 Charmac steel 3H angle haul,rear tack, with good size dressin room.  The short wall is about 5 feet long and the floor n walls are bare...the trailer floor is new 2x6 and the tires are bout 50%.  I dont know bout the brakes but all the lights work so I am assuming the wiring is good.  It has rubber tortion axles with 16" 8 bolt wheels.  There is some rust on it along the floor outside, but mainly bubbles. no holes anywhere.  I looked under it and the crossmembers are good.  I think this trailer has seen its fair share of gravel but is in relativly good shape fer a '93 steel trailer.  I am wondering what it might be worth cause they want offers only.  Thanks for your time n help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-09-16 12:56 PM (#30469 - in reply to #30371)
Subject: RE: Older Charmac trailer

Originally written by Steerwrestle159 on 2005-09-14 1:55 PM

I dont know bout the brakes but all the lights work so I am assuming the wiring is good. It has rubber tortion axles with 16" 8 bolt wheels. There is some rust on it along the floor outside, but mainly bubbles. no holes anywhere.

These two things concern me. Without doing an actual inspection on the brakes, they could be anywhere from almost new, to completely shot, and you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference as long as they 'slow' the trailer when you try them. If they've been maintained, it shouldn't be hard to pull a wheel and drum to check the condition of the brakes. (Have someone do this for you if you don't know how, or aren't up to it.)

Whenever you see 'bubbles' it means there is more rust under the paint. Depending on where the rust is, it could be minor; i.e. mostly cosmetic and on the skin, maybe a panel should be replaced, or it could be major; i.e. the structure is also rusted, helping to form the bubble and also becoming weaker.

Our little two horse (shuttle trailer, I call it) gets oiled underneath each year, also in any holes where there is access inside any tubing, so I'm fiarly confident there's not much rust in the structure. This year however, the fenders started bubbling and rusting through, I figure because it washes the oil off underneath, and of course the paint chips due to stones. What I will do though, is to check the frame in a few areas for rust, if there is little to non, I'll replace the fenders and repaint it. If there is signs of rust going through the frame, then I'll use it for another year or two (as long as it's safe), then likely scrap it and find another one to replace it with.

Mark
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)