'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Steel, Aluminum or...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-24 11:51 PM
26 replies, 9571 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-09-12 10:25 PM (#30258)
Subject: Steel, Aluminum or...

I am looking to buy a used 3h GN slant load trailer.  Already, I've gotten so much good info from these pages.  I have a list of "must haves" and "wants".  But I'm not sure of the advantages of the frame material... all aluminum, steel or alum over steel.  I've got a F250 diesel, so don't think towing weight will be an issue.  Opinions, experiences???

thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-09-13 11:34 AM (#30280 - in reply to #30258)
Subject: RE: Steel, Aluminum or...

Expert

Steel is usually cheaper, but aluminum doesn't rust.
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-13 11:51 AM (#30282 - in reply to #30258)

Regular

I've got a aluminum skin steel frame sundowner.  Needs an acid bath but otherwise looks great.  Having pulled a couple times during the snow season makes me really glad I got the aluminum.  The frame is starting to rust in spots, not bad though for the trailer being 12 yrs old. An all aluminum would might be a little better, but there is still steel on those models in areas too so you still get rust stains. The trailer spends the whole time outside too. 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-13 12:42 PM (#30288 - in reply to #30258)

Expert

Originally written by milliecat on 2005-09-12 10:25 PM

I am looking to buy a used 3h GN slant load trailer. Already, I've gotten so much good info from these pages. I have a list of "must haves" and "wants". But I'm not sure of the advantages of the frame material... all aluminum, steel or alum over steel. I've got a F250 diesel, so don't think towing weight will be an issue. Opinions, experiences???

thanks!

I have avoided the steel under aluminum trailers, perhaps due to too much concern over electro-potential between dissimilar metals and what I've (only) seen of how poor a job the tape stuff does of isolating the skin from the frame. "Properly built" and properly designed just about any material can be good, conversely a good material can't compensate for a poor design or assembly.
I'd go for the trailer that best suites your needs and not worry too much about the choice of materials, assuming you've chosen a reputable brand and that it has been well taken care of.

See other threads on F250 diesels, sure they can TOW a lot, but they can't CARRY a large payload - may be OK for 3H w/o LQ though.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-13 4:18 PM (#30329 - in reply to #30258)

Extreme Veteran

To put it in a nutshell, steel rusts and aluminum oxidizes(a.k.a. white rust). Many of today's steel trailer manufacturers are using paints to withstand the elements thus creating a longer life span for that particular trailer. An aluminum trailer can have problems with "white rust" if not taken care of properly, especially on an all alumy floor. Manure/urine mixes with that and the "white rust" can lead to pitting, not a good thing. It is a personal preference and becoming more educated on a steel or alumy trailer is key to your purchase.

My last trailer was a steel/alum combo. Liked the trailer, a newer trailer at that, but the beginning rust on the frame , I didn't like. The trailer I currently own is an all alumy one and I love it.

Good luck!!

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-14 11:17 AM (#30366 - in reply to #30258)

Veteran

I also went with an "all aluminum" trailer this time verses a steel trailer last time. With gas prices, I wanted to get the lightest material possible even though my truck would haul a heavier load.
figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-14 12:58 PM (#30372 - in reply to #30258)

Regular

In a perfect world Steel is a superior material to Aluminum for the construction of Horse Trailers. Steel is three times stronger than Aluminum. Steel can be bent and return to it's original shape. Steel can withstand much more impact protecting the load within the Trailer. Aluminum is Brittle and can be twisted with much less effort than Steel. All that said Steel will rust if unprotected. Aluminum left in the weather will oxide into a white powder that can be acid washed off if you like. As for Galvanic Reaction: A quality manufacturer will put a sufficiant barrier between the dissimilar metals so this will not happen. Don't take this wrong I am not saying thier is anything wrong with an all aluminum trailer. All I'm saying is don't assume that thier is anything wrong with a trailer just because it has steel in it, every trailer does.  I have a friend with an American Spirit trailer, nice trailer with a nice price and it is Aluminum over Steel. It's your money you worked hard for it do the research buy whats best for you. Like John Lennon said "Just give Steel A Chance".
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-14 1:58 PM (#30378 - in reply to #30258)

Expert

I went with all aluminum to avoid the rust issue since I live in wintery weather and the salt that comes with it. that being said, I did have a steel/alumuim trailer for a time. There was some light rust where ever there was steel and the paint was starting to come off the Gn nose. I would consider that normal wear and tear. I didn't think it wasn't a soild and safe trailer. It was. But for me, I preferred the aluminum.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-16 3:36 PM (#30479 - in reply to #30258)

Elite Veteran

I am in the same shopping mode you are - looking for a used 3h GN. I am pulling with a diesel F350 so weight is absolutely not an issue for me. My trailer will have to sit outside for a while, so I am only looking at aluminum skinned trailers to avoid rust (I live in a wet part of the world - Seattle), but am considering both aluminum and steel frames. This is a big generalization, but am finding the aluminum framed trailers are more expensive than the steel framed trailers, so that is likely going to have a big influence on what I buy.

Will you always be hauling 3 horses? If so, going with a lighter trailer might be more important that initial cost.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-16 4:07 PM (#30483 - in reply to #30479)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by headhunter on 2005-09-16 4:36 PM

I am in the same shopping mode you are - looking for a used 3h GN. I am pulling with a diesel F350 so weight is absolutely not an issue for me. My trailer will have to sit outside for a while, so I am only looking at aluminum skinned trailers to avoid rust (I live in a wet part of the world - Seattle), but am considering both aluminum and steel frames. This is a big generalization, but am finding the aluminum framed trailers are more expensive than the steel framed trailers, so that is likely going to have a big influence on what I buy. Will you always be hauling 3 horses? If so, going with a lighter trailer might be more important that initial cost.

If you meant "lighter trailer" being an all aluminum trailer I don't think there is much difference in weight vs an all steel trailer. What, maybe 100lbs?

diamond_j
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-17 8:54 AM (#30512 - in reply to #30288)

Regular

Originally written by Reg on 2005-09-13 12:42 PM

"Properly built" and properly designed just about any material can be good, conversely a good material can't compensate for a poor design or assembly.

I couldn't agree more!
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-17 9:08 AM (#30514 - in reply to #30258)

Extreme Veteran

Weight should not be the major issue here in the all aluminum versus the aluminum skin/steel frame trailer.  Ask a dealer who sells both and you will find very minor differences in weight when comparing the same size models with the same features.  Sometimes the all aluminum unit will be heavier.  Be sure the dealer sells both kinds, so there is no reason to fudge.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-17 9:54 AM (#30518 - in reply to #30258)

Veteran

When I still lived in southern MI, I bought a 4Star aluminum due to the frustration of my all steel trailers wanting to rust so easily.  Altho I don't have that trailer anymore, I do still have an all aluminum (Silverlite - VERY nicely made trailer) here in NW MT.  Due to my side business of mobile tack shop, I am looking to sell this one for a larger trailer for more inventory room & this time will undoubtably go w/all steel since we are a dry climate & do not use salt on the roads here, therefore I don't have to worry about the rust.  (I am leaning very heavily towards a TrailsWest w/their "dandy" full midtack w/doors on each side.)  If you are in IN, you are dealing w/all that dang salt....so I would probably go w/aluminum, but be religious about keeping your aluminum floor clean - or go aluminum & get either the Rumbar or WERM flooring. 

ztug
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-18 11:53 PM (#30595 - in reply to #30258)

Hi,

My steel stock trailer rusts from rainwater sitting in nooks and crannies! I just bought a new Sooner all aluminum 4 horse goose neck but I live on the salt water in FL.

haul_n_horses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-09-20 8:39 AM (#30662 - in reply to #30595)

Regular

Just ask yourself this

Self - "I wonder why more major automobile manufactures don't use aluminum frames?  Especially on HD trucks"

figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-20 11:18 PM (#30711 - in reply to #30662)

Regular

Good point haul_n_horses! Had another thought about All Aluminum trailers. All of them use Steel in the goosenecks most in the axles, where they need to be strong. Also screws, rivits, nuts and bolts are made of steel again because an aluminum screw wouldn't be stong enough.   That would mean every All Aluminum trailer out there is suffering from Galvanic Corrosion at every point a screw, rivit or nut and bolt is used. How about that All Aluminum people.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-21 8:40 AM (#30724 - in reply to #30258)

Elite Veteran

Be careful, we have a talented structural engineer in the discussion now. And I tend to agree with him. Reason auto mfg's don't use aluminum is because it doesn't handle stress well, it will fatigue crack long before steel. There are 100 other reasons, but that is the one I hear most often when sitting in a GM, Ford, or Diamler conference room for not using aluminum in an application. Heck yesterday we ran C pillar window guides out of plastic in Utica because aluminum can't replace the steel for weight savings and be structuraly capable in the application. And all it does is have the window go up and down through it and handle door slamming to keep glass from cracking.
ajs01
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-21 11:37 PM (#30776 - in reply to #30258)

Regular

listen, first if you live in a hunid area like S. Fl. steel is a non starer. You make an investment and watch rust aound you.

I've had all three steel, alum. over a steel frame and two alum. trailers.

The alum. won hands down. You couldn't compare a steel trailer with alum.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-22 7:47 AM (#30778 - in reply to #30258)

Expert

Considering the sheer number of all aluminum trailers on the market, I doubt we are seeing structural failures, stress cracks then trailers falling apart on the roads. It isn't happening. Otherwise you just would not see manufactures buliding them ( they would get sued) or they would be declared illegal. gravel trcuks are generally aluminum now and they are carrying far greater amount of weight than a horse trailer. I know people who advocate for steel have this chip on thier shoulder,a bit of a inferiority complex- but I think we need to get some perspective here. Its a matter of personal prefernce- I hava had all three types of trailers all steel ( its a rusty bucket talk about metal fatigue!) steel- aluminum ( it was ok) and all aluminum. Our next stock trailer ( for hauling cattle) will be all aluminum hands down......
haul_n_horses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-09-22 8:09 AM (#30780 - in reply to #30776)

Regular

Now I am not wanting to start a battle with anyone, but it is not wise to look at trailer purchasing in this light. Now with that said, I am by no means saying that aluminum can not be used as a structural member, it just takes more of it at more cost with just the right combination of materials.  Which in sense makes the all aluminum trailers noticeably higher in price than steel trailers.  Plus it explains why there is such a wide variance of pricing in the all aluminum market, more material stronger(heavier) trailer and higher price(for the most part neglecting purchasing power).  While in the steel framed aluminum skinned market there is a very narrow variance in pricing, which is directly the result of the amount of 'standards' on the said trailer.  Therefore if done correctly an aluminum framed trailer will last, but not as long as the equally designed steel frame.  The biggest concern with steel framed trailers is how the steel frame gets protected. 

So all you really need to figure out is how long are you wanting to keep this trailer before upgrading?  I would say if it is within the 10-15 yr range take your pick over that I would not have a clue do to not knowing the actual design of many different aluminum trailers.  I am also not saying that at that 15 year mark that the trailer is just going to break in half, that is just when I would really start getting worried about it.  That is what is bad about aluminum when it starts to fatigue you can not visually see it as you mostly can in steel.

Now stepping into my flame suit

Edited by haul_n_horses 2005-09-22 8:14 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-22 8:27 AM (#30781 - in reply to #30662)

Expert

Originally written by haul_n_horses on 2005-09-20 8:39 AM

Just ask yourself this

Self - "I wonder why more major automobile manufactures don't use aluminum frames? Especially on HD trucks"

In a word, "cost".

See LARGE otr trailers.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-22 10:02 AM (#30792 - in reply to #30778)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by farmbabe on 2005-09-22 8:47 AM

Considering the sheer number of all aluminum trailers on the market, I doubt we are seeing structural failures, stress cracks then trailers falling apart on the roads. It isn't happening. Otherwise you just would not see manufactures buliding them ( they would get sued) or they would be declared illegal. gravel trcuks are generally aluminum now and they are carrying far greater amount of weight than a horse trailer. I know people who advocate for steel have this chip on thier shoulder,a bit of a inferiority complex- but I think we need to get some perspective here. Its a matter of personal prefernce- I hava had all three types of trailers all steel ( its a rusty bucket talk about metal fatigue!) steel- aluminum ( it was ok) and all aluminum. Our next stock trailer ( for hauling cattle) will be all aluminum hands down......

Inferiority complex?? Aluminum is great in many applications, such as a truck flat bed, or a bed for a dump truck. Also, aluminum will not replace steel in an actual truck frame anytime soon, as it takes twice as much aluminum to make it structurally sound. And there has never been an all aluminum horse trailer made. The box/body of the trailer is aluminum. Whereas the axles, suspension and actual main gooseneck frame and the hitch that all see the actual radial and stress loads are made from steel. I don't have a problem in the world with aluminum trailers. I think they are nicer looking, and are overall easier to clean. And I would like to have one too, but the weight savings everybody tries to tout is bogus, as 10-15% is the max you will save over a steel/aluminum trailer.

figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-22 10:05 PM (#30836 - in reply to #30258)

Regular

I guess the question is How much you are willing to spend, how much you are willing to do to keep up your trailer and how do you use your trailer. There is a place on the market for every type of trailers and application.  What everyone else thinks is best for you is of little use when it comes down to it. Good dealer, good manufacturer, pick um.
Scooter
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-22 10:23 PM (#30838 - in reply to #30258)

New User

Been around trailers most of my life and honestly see no reason steel and aluminum can't mix. The gravel guards on the old trailers was aluminum and it never caused the fenders to fall off. As long as there is some kind of barrier (paint, undercoat, plastic, etc.) between them. I don't believe aluminum will take the beating steel will. As far as weight, there isn't much difference. Sure aluminum is lighter but you have to use more to get the strength. So if the trailer is gonna last, the weight won't be that different. Just look at the overall construction, the welds, the fit, and try to see some that have been around a while. That will tell the tale.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 2:19 AM (#30840 - in reply to #30258)

Elite Veteran

I am now about to purchase my second all aluminum trailer. This time I am going for all white skin on the outside.my horse doesn't kick inside the trailer or paw so decided not to have the extruded lower half.(supposed to be stronger)But when tied to the outside of the trailer, my guy loves to rub, lick, and blow buggers all over the side of the trailer!The extruded aluminum lower half was real easy to get scratched up pretty bad.Also noticed that on a nice day, being tied up to the side of the trailer was at least 10-15 degrees hotter!My horse and I were sweating before we even got going on the ride! I am now looking at the Classic Trailers Inc.(Cavalier)These look like really nice trailers too. They have the fiberglass roof(cooler) and rumber floor
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)