'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Range Rover

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-13 4:21 PM
37 replies, 7382 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Patricia
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-12 12:43 AM (#30203)
Subject: Range Rover

New User

I am interested in starting to haul my own horses. I drive a 2005 Range Rover. Can I pull a two horse with it? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Patricia

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-12 6:16 AM (#30204 - in reply to #30203)
Subject: RE: Range Rover

Expert

short answer, yes.

according to the range rover website, max trailer is 7716 pounds, however i could not find a GCWR. it appeared to be in the 14000 pound range though.  the owners manual may have more specific info.

some points of interest........max trailer weights generally require use a weight distrubting hitch. you will also need a brake controller. and an external tranmission cooler is a good investment in the transmission if the vehicle does not already have one.

i pull a steel 2h slant with dressing room, which is about as heavy as you can get with a 2h, and loaded with my medium size horses and tack it weighs about 6000 pounds.  i also tow with a suv, you WILL catch flak on this aspect, especially when the suv is not a suburban or excursion. it can, and is, being done safely all over the country. and before someone with a 1 ton dually trys to scare you, telling you wont be able to stop, let me tell you, yes you will. be safe and good luck.

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-12 6:49 AM (#30205 - in reply to #30203)

Veteran

I don't know about towing with a RR. However, I spent one summer many years (1980) ago tooling around the jungles of South America driving in conditions such a knee deep mud, water over the floor boards (the carpets pulled out back then). The versions we drove had air assisted steering and brakes and would make most any of today's SUVs seem like toys. Being a farm kid I thought I knew all about driving in rough country. I was amazed where we drove even back then. Now since I am older I am amazed we weren't all killed, but such is the mind set of aging. Horses seem taller and the ground seems harder today too. Just my ramblings for the day. To your question. I would say YES but Chadsalt provided more definative numbers.

Edited by barry 2005-09-12 6:50 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-12 7:16 AM (#30208 - in reply to #30203)

Expert

Originally written by Patricia on 2005-09-12 12:43 AM

I am interested in starting to haul my own horses. I drive a 2005 Range Rover. Can I pull a two horse with it? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Patricia

Hi and Welcome.

YES ++
In this forum you'll probably get some bad info about the wheelbase being "too short", but it is long enough to get from the front wheels to the rear.
Be sure to carry chains and tow straps, you are likely to be called upon to get the tractor out when it gets stuck trying to get trucks out at events (-:
I was close to getting one in Switzerland, but I would have had to register it as a vehicle available to be taken by the military (or emergency services) in the even of an emergency. They pay a few thousand to have this "right", but I wasn't sure how I could legally leave the country with it afterwards.

Anyway, a FINE tow vehicle - congrats on your choice.
Patricia
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-12 10:33 AM (#30214 - in reply to #30204)

New User

Thank you so much on the info. A lof of people with Suburbans had been telling me the wheel base was too short and I couldn't do it. I think the car is heavy enough. Would you sugest a two horse slant with extra room or just a regular two horse?

Thanks,
Patricia
Sherman oaks, CA
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-12 11:13 AM (#30215 - in reply to #30203)

Extreme Veteran

Buying a 2horse straight or a 2horse slant is really up to you and how you want your horses to travel. Nobody on here can tell you otherwise, some are partial to slants with big arguments why, and others will say buy a straight load. Just start looking around and talking to your friends and see what suits you and your horses best.

One thing you may want to get with your trailer is a dressing room, some place to store your tack, clothing, supplies etc. I will add that a slant load trailer does provide a rear tack area which is nice to have to keep those stinky saddles/tack out of the dressing room.

Best of luck trailer shopping!

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-12 1:37 PM (#30226 - in reply to #30215)

Expert

Originally written by MIfarmbabe on 2005-09-12 12:13 PM

Buying a 2horse straight or a 2horse slant is really up to you and how you want your horses to travel. Nobody on here can tell you otherwise, some are partial to slants with big arguments why, and others will say buy a straight load. Just start looking around and talking to your friends and see what suits you and your horses best.

One thing you may want to get with your trailer is a dressing room, some place to store your tack, clothing, supplies etc. I will add that a slant load trailer does provide a rear tack area which is nice to have to keep those stinky saddles/tack out of the dressing room.

Best of luck trailer shopping!

what she said, and how experianced are your horses? do they have a slant/straight preference? i have one that doesnt care, and one that will load a straight but it is generally an ordeal. so i went with the slant.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-12 1:45 PM (#30228 - in reply to #30214)

Expert

Originally written by Patricia on 2005-09-12 11:33 AM

Thank you so much on the info. A lof of people with Suburbans had been telling me the wheel base was too short and I couldn't do it. I think the car is heavy enough. Would you sugest a two horse slant with extra room or just a regular two horse?Thanks,Patricia Sherman oaks, CA
so i see youve already seen some of the attitude towards smaller tow vehicles. next time ask them why the wheelbase is to short? most of the time they wont have an answer, just something a dealer told them or they remember reading in a book. education is lacking on this subject as a whole.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-12 3:24 PM (#30231 - in reply to #30203)

Extreme Veteran

Patricia, In my opinion the longer the wheel base is better on the road...but short does work! Better when backing and manuvering. I would keep the trailer weight down and a WDH(weight distributing hitch) will be needed...maybe. That will depend on the trailer configuration and weight. Keep the weight down and it will keep you away from the towing limits of the Rover. My wife has a Dodge Durango rated at 6500# with a 2h straight load  and it tows great without the WDH...about the same class tow vehicle except $! lol The Dodge may have a bit longer wheelbase but close enough.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-12 5:00 PM (#30236 - in reply to #30203)

Expert

You should be ok if you stay within the GCWR.  Range Rovers are not the typical SUV.  But here is an excellent article on the topic that is on a horse trailer web site.  Read the WHOLE thing.  It states some important things about towing that some people on this site tend to trivialize.  http://www.equispirit.com/info/articles/choosingatow.htm
sjhinkle
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-12 6:18 PM (#30241 - in reply to #30203)

Check your owners manual carefully - some RR's do not allow the use of weight distribution.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-12 6:24 PM (#30242 - in reply to #30236)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-09-12 5:00 PM

You should be ok if you stay within the GCWR. Range Rovers are not the typical SUV. But here is an excellent article on the topic that is on a horse trailer web site. Read the WHOLE thing. It states some important things about towing that some people on this site tend to trivialize. http://www.equispirit.com/info/articles/choosingatow.htm

The claim in that article that a longer wheelbase "adds stability" is false.
It adds comfort by reducing "choppiness" on bumps, that is about all.
Consider a suburban, a big long, empty box with a LOT of the engine and transmission weight on the front wheels. I doubt that you would ever get out of a jack-knife if the trailer ever swung around, there's just too much leverage between the coupler and the front wheels. Adding WDH just takes MORE load off the rear wheels, MY suburban needed MORE weight on the rear wheels.
ymmv, etc.
`
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-12 6:38 PM (#30243 - in reply to #30242)

Expert

Originally written by Reg on 2005-09-12 7:24 PM

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-09-12 5:00 PM You should be ok if you stay within the GCWR. Range Rovers are not the typical SUV. But here is an excellent article on the topic that is on a horse trailer web site. Read the WHOLE thing. It states some important things about towing that some people on this site tend to trivialize. http://www.equispirit.com/info/articles/choosingatow.htm
The claim in that article that a longer wheelbase "adds stability" is false. It adds comfort by reducing "choppiness" on bumps, that is about all. Consider a suburban, a big long, empty box with a LOT of the engine and transmission weight on the front wheels. I doubt that you would ever get out of a jack-knife if the trailer ever swung around, there's just too much leverage between the coupler and the front wheels. Adding WDH just takes MORE load off the rear wheels, MY suburban needed MORE weight on the rear wheels. ymmv, etc. `

exactly. and with a modern WDH you can tweak the distrubution to your liking, getting almost 50%/50% on the tow vehicle as opposed to 60%/40% (give or take) unloaded.

and given more time i would explore this crap about horses being top heavy cargo. compared to what? ever haul round bales stacked? ever haul an equipment trailer with a backhoe/field tractor? sure horses can move on their own, but if tied in a stall, get real. they are no more top heavy than anything else one might tow. top heavy cargo is a situation any towing senerio can encounter, the driver is what makes it safe or unsafe. not the vehicle.

and the 150 pound overload being a very dangerous situation? talk about melodramatic. i doubt most landfills, co-ops, or most any other place, CAT scales included,  will accuratly weigh within 1.5%.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-12 7:00 PM (#30245 - in reply to #30203)

Expert

Long ago and far away...
I'm fairly sure that Land Rover's literature used to spec hitch to rear axle distance. I think I havn't seen that spec'd on US trucks and SUVs.
YES it MATTERS ! it needs to be as SHORT as reasonably possible.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-12 7:23 PM (#30246 - in reply to #30203)

Expert

from the above link,

" For safety reasons, the tow vehicle should be able to perform as well with a trailer as without."

what the HELL? ive sat here and read, re-read, had my wife read, re-read trying to figure out how i may have taken that statement out of context, but i have not come up with any possible way.

who in their right mind would expect to take a vehicle, hook it to another "vehicle" which now at the very least doubles the length and weight with a hinge in the middle and expect it to "perform as well"? its amazing what finds its way into "print".

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-13 12:07 AM (#30263 - in reply to #30241)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by sjhinkle on 2005-09-12 6:18 PM

Check your owners manual carefully - some RR's do not allow the use of weight distribution.

I agree! And I bet there is a Range Rover forum that you can get some real specific towing information from. Camp or horse trailer the basic towing limits are the same.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-13 7:09 AM (#30266 - in reply to #30246)

Expert

"For safety reasons, the tow vehicle should be able to perform as well with a trailer as without. The chance of an accident is increased when the tow vehicle is sluggish, or doesn't handle as quickly on the road as it should. Braking becomes ineffective."

Chadsalt, This is the WHOLE quote.  The statement is perfectly clear to me.  But, of course, you just don't agree with the concept so naturally this trailer manufacturer HAS to be wrong!  You are the expert here, right?

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-13 8:47 AM (#30268 - in reply to #30266)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-09-13 7:09 AM

"For safety reasons, the tow vehicle should be able to perform as well with a trailer as without. The chance of an accident is increased when the tow vehicle is sluggish, or doesn't handle as quickly on the road as it should. Braking becomes ineffective."

Chadsalt, This is the WHOLE quote. The statement is perfectly clear to me. But, of course, you just don't agree with the concept so naturally this trailer manufacturer HAS to be wrong! You are the expert here, right?

Not JUST for the fun of it, but I'd like to state that a tow vehicle that "handles quickly on the road" is yet another thing that I don't need to have to know that I want to not have. Sluggish steering is probably an asset in the event of trailer sway. "Braking becomes ineffective.", is not a complete sentence.
Just by the way... NO tow vehicle will perform as well with a trailer as without, which is part/most of the reason that we have to slow down, allow longer braking distances, etc.

That is a COMMERCIAL site, they're pushing product, I don't expect reason or rationale, but at the same time I don't expect nonsense.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-13 9:53 AM (#30270 - in reply to #30268)

Expert

"That is a COMMERCIAL site, they're pushing product, I don't expect reason or rationale, but at the same time I don't expect nonsense."
Reg, not one time in that article are their trailers mentioned.  The article was about safe towing. 

" Sluggish steering is probably an asset in the event of trailer sway. "

Having towed with 3 Suburbans that did have sluggish steering and 2 Ford trucks who have a much tighter feel to the steering, I much prefer the tight steering!

It amazes me that you can't accept the word of trailer manufacturer experts.

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-09-13 10:32 AM (#30273 - in reply to #30266)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-09-13 8:09 AM

Chadsalt, This is the WHOLE quote.  The statement is perfectly clear to me.  But, of course, you just don't agree with the concept so naturally this trailer manufacturer HAS to be wrong!  You are the expert here, right?

I balked at the same quote - I agree - no tow vehicle will perform as well pulling a trailer - nor should it - I don't pull away as fast from a stop with a trailer as without one - nor should I. And are we to expect a truck and loaded trailer to stop as quicly as an unloaded truck??? Ofcourse not - we expect a short stopping distance but of course less weight will stop faster - no matter what tow vehicle you own. - that the Law of Physics - not much to argue with there.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-13 10:44 AM (#30274 - in reply to #30273)

Expert

Ok, to clarify the staement for those who just don't understand it...

Don't tow with a vehicle that doesn't drive right to begin with!  If you truck isn't braking well, don't use it to tow with.  If there are questionable aspects to the tow vehicle, don't tow with it!!

santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-13 11:21 AM (#30277 - in reply to #30203)

Regular

Would Al Gore allow erroneus information on the internet?  As with everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.  I would say at best this bad advice and poorly written.  I think it is trying to refer to the previous paragraph about being within your vehicle limits and capacities when towing a trailer.  My way of thinking about it is that if I am within my capacities of my tow vehicle then my vehicle will perform " as well with a trailer as without"   However you must take into consideration that you will not be able to turn/ accelerate/ decl the same.

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-09-13 11:22 AM (#30278 - in reply to #30274)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-09-13 11:44 AM

Ok, to clarify the staement for those who just don't understand it...

Don't tow with a vehicle that doesn't drive right to begin with!  If you truck isn't braking well, don't use it to tow with.  If there are questionable aspects to the tow vehicle, don't tow with it!!

What you just said makes perfect sense

But that is not what the quote from the website says - that may be what they meant - but it's not what they said.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-13 12:05 PM (#30284 - in reply to #30278)

Expert

"What you just said makes perfect sense

But that is not what the quote from the website says - that may be what they meant - but it's not what they said."

Maybe I understood it from the beginning because of the "female factor".  It was written by a woman and men seldom understand us anyway!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-13 12:59 PM (#30289 - in reply to #30284)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-09-13 12:05 PM

"What you just said makes perfect sense

But that is not what the quote from the website says - that may be what they meant - but it's not what they said."

Maybe I understood it from the beginning because of the "female factor". It was written by a woman and men seldom understand us anyway!

Ahhh, gottit.
There were no html tags indicating that the text was in womanspeak, so I assumed that it wasn't.

Deadly sin #8: Assuming masculine origin of texts that purport to be (semi) technical.

Of the others: Lust, glutony, sloth - graduated. 4 more to go.

(-:
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)