'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Glide out Pros and Cons

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-28 1:47 PM
33 replies, 8183 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

2kkorral
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-09-07 3:44 PM (#30028)
Subject: Glide out Pros and Cons

Can anyone share an experience good or bad with a Glide out in any brand.  Is it worth the extra cost,  Noisy, Leaky, Does it really save space, How tight is it when its in VS out and would you buy one again?

All comments will be appreciated!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-07 9:58 PM (#30038 - in reply to #30028)
Subject: RE: Glide out Pros and Cons

Expert

Originally written by 2kkorral on 2005-09-07 3:44 PM

Can anyone share an experience good or bad with a Glide out in any brand. Is it worth the extra cost, Noisy, Leaky, Does it really save space, How tight is it when its in VS out and would you buy one again?

All comments will be appreciated!

I know some folk with a camper that has one.
Worth ? Your money, your choice.
From the construction, clearly it adds weight and is a HUGE HOLE in the side, so some wall stiffness is lost.
I doubt that it "saves space", I'd guess the opposite to be true, i.e. it encourages you to take MORE stuff along. Leaks and noise probably track with quality of design and construction, I'm not familiar enough with brand names to know leaders from loosers.
I can ALWAYS find better uses for money in that sort of quantity.

To put this in context, I'm not a camper.
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-08 12:05 PM (#30081 - in reply to #30028)

Veteran

Usually when a question is asked, persons who do not have one or a clue reply with misinformation. I have a slide in my Trails West, It slides out 18 inches, so the space question answers itself, yes it adds 18 inches of additional floor space to the living quarters, big difference, it in not noisey, its a solid box, it does not leak, its sealed, is it heavy?, no a large sheet of steel was removed and replaced with a alumninum box,, does it take away fron the structure, no the ares is framed to compensate for the cut out, and is worth every penny.  It may not be worth the money for a weekender, I camp from 3-10 days at a time in several different states, it is well worth it to me. Folks, if you have never had something, or done something, you should not answer forums, questions are asked to those that know, we can all guess.

Edited by Rostrenga 2005-09-08 12:08 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-09 7:54 AM (#30117 - in reply to #30028)

Expert

I do NOT have one.
I HAVE looked at them.
It is NOT worth MY money.
I am NOT a camper.
I DO have a clue.
I am NOT a camper.
The OP DID invite all comments.
Are these sentences short enough for you ?
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-09 8:16 AM (#30118 - in reply to #30038)

Expert

Reg, I do agree that a slider adds weight, which is a big factor if you can't upgrade your tow vehicle if needed.  A slider DOES add a lot of space though.  You can't store things in it but it does make life easier if there are a few people sharing a smaller LQ.  As for loss of strength because of the hole, better trailer manufacturers really reinforce the area to compensate.  Buying a quality trailer is the key. 
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-09 9:19 AM (#30121 - in reply to #30118)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-09-09 8:16 AM

Reg, I do agree that a slider adds weight, which is a big factor if you can't upgrade your tow vehicle if needed. A slider DOES add a lot of space though. You can't store things in it but it does make life easier if there are a few people sharing a smaller LQ. As for loss of strength because of the hole, better trailer manufacturers really reinforce the area to compensate. Buying a quality trailer is the key.

Agreed, agreed, agreed...
The hole in the wall is roughly analogous to having a bay or picture window.
Sure, they add double headers and double stud each side, but it DOES weaken the wall, but it CAN BE worth the view/light and it CAN BE done right, made waterproof, etc. I was just saying, "not for ME" & "other spending priorities".
I really DON'T need to own one to know that I don't want one.
Not a camper, but I am a pack rat, I don't need another incentive to take along more STUFF (-:

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-09 10:39 AM (#30124 - in reply to #30028)

Elite Veteran

All else being in equal shortwall footages, the slide out unit will have more square feet of floorspace, the non-slide will have more counter or closet space. The framing, etc. around the slide eats up almost 2' of otherwise usefull space. Just depends on what is important to you.
RTSmith
tobruk
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-09 8:04 PM (#30141 - in reply to #30028)

Veteran

Slide out adds 350 lbs, all alum.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-09 9:00 PM (#30146 - in reply to #30028)

Veteran

Is there a written rule somewhere that says you have to be an expert before you can voice your opinion or anwer somebody's question? Debbie

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-09 9:12 PM (#30147 - in reply to #30146)

Expert

Originally written by classygirl98 on 2005-09-09 10:00 PM

Is there a written rule somewhere that says you have to be an expert before you can voice your opinion or anwer somebody's question? Debbie

yes.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-10 8:56 PM (#30165 - in reply to #30147)

Expert

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-09-09 9:12 PM

yes.

There are MANY other things that I don't have and having never had them know enough to know that I don't want them - more correctly, want to NOT HAVE them.

PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-11 12:03 AM (#30169 - in reply to #30028)

Veteran

I've had my Bison with a 6' slide out for almost 2 years now. Yes, I'd recommend a slide out if you spend much time in your trailer. Yes, I'd certainly buy one again.  I haven't had any problems with leaks. It's not really noisy and slides out rather quickly. Mine has a small electric motor that runs off the trailer batteries. Be sure to go with a slide cover. They are small "awnings" that roll out automatically with the slide. Keeps water and stuff off the top of the slide.

As for your question on how tight it is when the slide is in, my trailer is only 6'8" wide and when the slide is in the LQ is pretty much useless. It comes almost all the way across the floor.  I've learned to pack everything BEFORE bringing in the slide. After it's in I only have access to the neck and a small area in front of the door. However, I would imagine with a wider trailer you'd at least be able to walk past it.

Last year you hardly every saw a slide out in a trailer but this year at the big shows it seems that they are everywhere. I'm guessing slides will be somewhat "standard" in LQ trailers within the next year or so.

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-12 9:20 AM (#30211 - in reply to #30028)

Veteran

Another false statement is that the slide causes you to loose storage space, it does not, the only thing that slides out is the dinette, it has a 4 inch trim around it, not 2 feet, there is storage above the slide, both sides, and below the seats of the dinette, so actually I have more storage then I did without a slide, and as for taking up all the space when closed, new RV laws state there must be at least 17 inches of walk space to the rear of the LQ when the slide is closed, so all of the new ones have accessibility to the rear. I agree the additional cost may not be for the weekender or occasional user, but for people who camp with horses for extended periods, its a great investment and will add to the re-sale value when slides become the industry standard in high dollar LQ trailers.

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-12 4:08 PM (#30234 - in reply to #30147)

Veteran

Did not mean to start a debate about answering questions, but maybe its a good thing. Usually when a question is asked in a forum it asked of those who have one, done it, been there, etc, I would never answer a question unless I have some first hand knowledge of the topic.

Edited by Rostrenga 2005-09-12 4:18 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-12 5:45 PM (#30238 - in reply to #30234)

Expert

Originally written by Rostrenga on 2005-09-12 4:08 PM

Did not mean to start a debate about answering questions, but maybe its a good thing. Usually when a question is asked in a forum it asked of those who have one, done it, been there, etc, I would never answer a question unless I have some first hand knowledge of the topic.

Perhaps you woud consider, as a point of phliosophy if nothing else, that we can have valid opinions on not wanting things.
It is not necessary, for example to experience pain, disease or addictions to know that we don't want them.
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-12 8:40 PM (#30249 - in reply to #30238)

Veteran

True, as long as one does not describe the signs and symptoms of pain, disease or an addiction that one has never experiemced.
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-13 12:12 PM (#30285 - in reply to #30211)

Veteran

Originally written by Rostrenga on 2005-09-12 9:20 AM

Another false statement is that the slide causes you to loose storage space, it does not, .....

Actually, in my particular trailer the slide DOES cause me to loose storage space. In the same model trailer without the slide there are cabinets above the dinette. My trailer does not have these. The slide also caused me to lose the long bootbox area in front of the gooseneck that many people use as a means of stepping up to the bed. Because my slide comes in right there I only have a tiny box to step on. I have noticed that in newer models they are putting small cabinets inside the top of the slide, above the dinette. It's something to look for when trailer shopping and it's all going to depend on the design of the trailer.

greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-09-13 12:35 PM (#30287 - in reply to #30028)

I think as ar as space goes, it all depends on the layout. If you're to the point that a couple of small cupboards makes/breaks the enjoyment of the trailer, maybe you needed a larger trailer in the first place. Our next trailer WILL definitely have slide-out, for a couple of different reasons.
Often our stays are for more than one night, so the space will be nice. Also, we often have 3-4 people staying, again, another reason for extra space. We also use the LQ (and trailer) for activities other than horses, so we want it to be nice. Consequently, we won't have a LQ with a 6' wall....it will be considerably larger.

Go and look at some of the RV's with slide out's, they will give you more insight into the use of the spaces.

I find that one of the problems with a lot of horse trailers is the height/width....if your trailer is only 6 or 6 1/2 feet wide, and only 6 1/2 feet high, your limiting yourself a lot right off the start. Even going to a 7' wide by say 8' high trailer will greatly increase the volume of a LQ the same length. Maybe going a little larger in other areas would eliminate the need for a slide out in your case.

PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-15 3:14 PM (#30424 - in reply to #30287)

Veteran

I agree with everything you said Greywynd. I, too, intend to have a slide in every LQ trailer I own from now on. The lack of a few cabinets certainly would not make me go back to a "slideless" trailer. However, I was pointing out that you do have to realize that in SOME trailers you may loose important storage space. It's one of the things you need to look closely at when shopping around. Easilly accessed storage space can make life so much easier! For instance, my trailer does not have a single cabinet big enough to store a western hat box in, except up in front of the bed. It's the little things like that that you don't think about until you've used the trailer for awhile. My trailer does have longer than a 6' SW, it just happens that the slide comes in right against the neck instead of further back. One of the things I liked best about the slide was that I could add space WITHOUT having to go with a wider or longer trailer. I PERSONALLY didn't want a trailer with fenders in the horse area, nor did I want mangers. So, for me, a 6'8" trailer with a slide was a perfect arrangement.
greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-09-15 3:30 PM (#30425 - in reply to #30028)

If storage is a concern, even in your case, an extra 6" or foot of height would give you a lot more volume of space. If it's a tapered nose design, with a tapered roofline, it shouldn't affect the drag a whole lot either. Another thing I'm surprised the trailer manufacturers haven't copied yet (other than mangers) is storage access from outside for some things. There can be a lot of spaces accessed from outside (sometimes both in and out) that might give you more effective storage for certain things. I know we always carry some folding chairs with us for outdoor use, but right now they usually just get thrown in on the floor. If there was a storage locker big enough from outside, guess where they'd be going?

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-09-15 11:02 PM (#30445 - in reply to #30147)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-09-09 9:12 PM

yes.

My in-laws have a camping trailer with a huge slide out and they LOVE it.  No leaks at all.

diamond_j
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-17 9:10 AM (#30515 - in reply to #30028)

Regular

Every choice you make in a LQ has a trade off. Slide outs do cause you to change the cabinet layout. A well designed layout will leave you with the storage you need. Like the PP brought up, you need to make sure it is storage it will work for you.

The awning over the slide is definately something to look for. Try to find out about the structural framing the company uses. Not a place to skimp on materials!

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-18 9:34 PM (#30585 - in reply to #30028)

Extreme Veteran

Just one point to mention about the slide out is that you have to make sure that the walls are dry when you slide it in.  We had a heavy rain one morning before packing up to leave and the side walls of the slide out were wet from the rain.  When we slid it in, some of the moisture came through and drained on the carpet.  There are seals that help to wick it away, but you are better off to take a towell and dry it off.  Just remeber the exposed side walls are coming into your LQ wet or dry.  I would certainly recommend getting an awning over the top.  This helps keep the leaves out which in turn can come in the LQ on the top.  All in all, I really like having the slide out.  The extra feet come in handy for everyone to move around in.
ztug
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-19 9:56 AM (#30602 - in reply to #30028)

Hi, I have a 39' motor home with a large slide out that includes dinette and sofa bed. I previously had similar 36' MH and 30' trailer, before that, both with slide outs. None have leaked, none have been noisy, and none have caused any noticeable loss of structural integrity.

On the Plus side:

1) Makes it much more livable with 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 large dogs.

On the Negative side:

1) Weight

2) Can't use the washer / dryer while driving.

Overall, if you are going to do more than just overnight at a horse show, go for it. we spend most of the summer in our MH and wouldn't want to be without it. But we didn't spring for it in our 4H Goose neck cause we will rarely spend more than a night or 2 in it and didn't want to spend that much more and tow that much more. Good luck!

Edited by ztug 2005-09-19 10:09 AM
figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-21 10:55 PM (#30772 - in reply to #30028)

Regular

This will erk a few of you. Last week I took a look at the new Bison(Stratus) 15' short wall with a 12' slide-out. It has a flat floor (no step up to the slide) you loose a lot of storage but man you and a bunch of your best friends could dance in that thing. When you take a look at that thing, a 12' opening sure looks like the roof is sagging I could be wrong but it sure looks like it. So haul your stuff or have a dance it's what works for you.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)