'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
any one ever pull a 12 ft flat bed trailer behind their gooseneck horse trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-19 10:33 AM
9 replies, 4678 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-07 12:07 PM (#30017)
Subject: any one ever pull a 12 ft flat bed trailer behind their gooseneck horse trailer?

Veteran

Was wondering how things handle when hauling tandem trailers.   I currently don't have a big enough trailer to haul my horse and vis a vis in.   The current trailer is a steel 18 ft with 8ft long wall finished dr.   Was thinking about putting a hitch on the back of the trailer and hooking up the 12 ft flatbed with the vis a vis on it rather then using a 2nd pickup to haul it places.   Will this work or is it a hassle? 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-09-07 12:30 PM (#30019 - in reply to #30017)
Subject: RE: any one ever pull a 12 ft flat bed trailer behind their gooseneck horse trailer?

Extreme Veteran

Is it legal?
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-07 2:27 PM (#30023 - in reply to #30019)
Subject: RE: any one ever pull a 12 ft flat bed trailer behind their gooseneck horse trailer?

Expert

Originally written by jakey1 on 2005-09-07 12:30 PM

Is it legal?

It is legal if...
Check out the CDL manual.
I'm fairly sure that if either trailer has a GVW rating of 10,000 or more you would need a Class A license with an endorsement for "doubles". It could be if the total of the towed trailers exceeds 10,000, so check it.

They'd probably both have to have brakes as well, any of them over 3500 lbs anyway, they could probably all work off the same controller.

This sounds like an adventure in the making (-:
Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-07 3:01 PM (#30025 - in reply to #30017)

There is also a length limit. The commercial carriage driver that we work for on occasion pulls a flatbed trailer (not sure on the length, but my guess is at least 12 feet long) behind his 18 or so foot horse trailer. He hauls either a vis-a-vis or a stagecoach depending on the job. I know he doesn't have a CDL or any special license to pull it, just has to stay within the legal length. It really works well for him since the escape door on his horse trailer is wide enough to load and unload horses so he doesn't have to unhook the flatbed to get the horses out.

Edited by Babygoose 2005-09-07 3:02 PM
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-07 3:23 PM (#30027 - in reply to #30017)

Veteran

baby goose, what size of trailer does he use when not using the flatbed?  Does he haul the carriage and horses in one trailer.  Just wondering, for I have been thinking about getting a custom trailer made to do that and also have a 10 ft living quarters.  Was thinking of a 28 ft trailer and 10 feet of it with no slant wall being living quarters.  Was also gonna have a full gate about 4ft or so in the front part of the horse part to use as a midtack/sleep area for my 2 kids.  thought about sticking bunks in there that can be moved out and then when I need it to haul the carriage I then can remove the wall or open it up to get it in there and then put a horse in the back.  Thought about making it a little more roomy in the back by 2 ft so I could get a 2nd horse in incase i need a team.  I am thinking the trailer would need to be a 5 horse size in the horse part to get every thing to fit. 

I have thought about the idea of ordering a new trailer but then with the costs of them going up I doubt if I could afford one.  I figure with the trailer not being finished that it was gonna cost me at least 25k for aluminum.    Kinda of nice to be able to use what I have for it is paid for.  Nice to not have payments. 

ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-07 4:38 PM (#30030 - in reply to #30017)

Veteran

I am guessing by your user name that you are from ND. If that is right, you would be legal here. I know you can't pull double in MN.
I pulled a 24' GN horse/stock combo with a 14' pop-up camper behind. It handled very good.
AZPenner
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-08 12:14 PM (#30082 - in reply to #30017)

Regular

I pull a 10' flatbed behind my rig to haul the Golfcart on. Is it legal? Wellllll, depends upon which DOT officer you speak to. Kinda pushing the legal length just a smidge. It handles real well. Just can't see it unless you turn a corner. I typically don't take the golfcart with when we go out of state, (too many tires to worry about).
Truck Broker
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-08 12:34 PM (#30085 - in reply to #30017)

Veteran

I don't know if it was legal or not but I have pulled a 24' gooseneck stock trailer with a two-axle dolly behind it with a gooseneck hitch mounted to it and pulled another 20' stock trailer off of that. pulled fine, just had a special harness made that ran down the side of the first trailer to hook into the second one. Total rig measured just over 81 feet. I have pulled in Missouri, Iowa, and Oklahona like that and have never been stoped and I have no special license. A wise man once told me to keep going straight forward until sombody tells ya to stop, so I do it and have never been stoped yet. Might be lucky, or might just be stupid???
Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-08 12:47 PM (#30086 - in reply to #30017)

Not sure on the size of the horse trailer. I am going to guess about 18 feet. He doesn't haul any vehicles in the horse trailer, they are all too big and have to be hauled on the flat bed or just towed behind in the case of the trollys with road tires. Normally he puts either the vis-a-vis or stagecoach on the flatbed.

I just bought a 16 foot gooseneck stock trailer with a center gate to haul my horse and two wheeled cart. The horse will go in the front and the cart in the back with the center gate closed. I also have a little camper on an ATV type trailer that I might pull behind the trailer if we go to a bigger show.

As long as you set it up right and it is legal in the states you are in, pulling a trailer behind the horse trailer works out good. Just watch where you park because you can't back it up!
ztug
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-19 10:33 AM (#30610 - in reply to #30017)

I see it done a lot out West and have only seen a couple wrecked

Here is a link to State laws that shows where it is legal and what the limits are.

http://www.towingworld.com/towinglaws.html

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)