'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to electricity in a LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-12 10:53 PM
4 replies, 5268 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

chris herron
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-09-06 6:57 PM (#29991)
Subject: How to electricity in a LQ

Hi horse people. I am going to do my own LQ and would like some input on the electrical part of it. Do you have to have a generator unless there is no 110v hookup? Can anyone help or direct me in the right direction on this how to thing?  Greatly appreciated

Edited by chris herron 2005-09-06 7:10 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-09-06 11:39 PM (#29997 - in reply to #29991)
Subject: RE: How to electricity in a LQ

It all depends on what you want to power. If you want to run AC, the toaster, coffe maker, microwave, etc. then you have your work cut out. If all you want are a couple lights for night time navigation, then it's a totally different story.

For 'stand-alone' use, (RVers use the term Boondocking), as long as your power consumption isn't heavy (no AC or toaster, etc.) and it's usually just overnight, then you can likely run off a couple of batteries, and if 110V is needed (say a radio or small portable TV), then you can use an inverter. Batteries can be setup to recharge from the truck while driving, or with a charger at home, or while away if 110 hookup is available. A solar panel can also be setup to maintain/charge the batteries if desired.

Let us know waht sort of uses you have in mind, then hopefully someone can guide you in the right direction for what you need.

Mark
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-09 10:33 PM (#30152 - in reply to #29997)

Veteran

This could get long but I'll talk about what you need...you can make it as simple as you want or as complex...suggest you refer to phrannie.org for a lot more info.

First for the 110volt ac..you will need to mount a small circuit breaker box in your trailer.  Say a 6 circuit box available from lowes or home depot. Inside the box you  should have a ground lug that will connect all your grounds from the 110vac outlets, lights, etc to the ground/trailer frame and the green wire that connects to the main ac plug/cable.  Also there should be a neutral lug inside the box that all the neutrals (white) wires from your outlets/lights etc connect to and also the white wire to the main ac cable...lastly the main ac cable black or hot wire will connect to the bussbar inside the box that the breakers are connected ...then the hot wires (black) that connect to your 110vac outlets are connected to the circuit breakers...likewise if you have a roofmount ac unit, it would be connected to its dedicated breaker.  Some folks wire up a direct extension cord to the breaker box for use as a main plug..others put in a bulkhead connector and then use a rv type extension cord.  Look at some factory trailers/rvs for how its done. 

For the 12volts, most trailers have a 12volt battery mounted on the trailer and use 12volt lights extensively...buy these from any rv supply store or west marine for the better quality.  You can use 12volt rated switches at an autoparts store...most simply use 110volt rated light switches to control the lights..Run a heavy battery cable from the - (neg) post to the trailer frame.  The + (positive) post will connect to your light switches and then to the lights using at least 14awg stranded wiring.  You can use crimp connectors for the 12volt wiring.  You can also purchase a small fuse panel or breaker panel for the 12volt wiring from most rv supply stores or west marine.

Past this you can install a converter that supplies 12 volts to charge your battery and provide 12volts to your lights when you are plugged into 120volt ac...these converters are available from rv supply stores.  Then there are inverters that provide 110vac from your 12volt battery..then there are solar panels...then generators...goes on and on depending on how much $$ you want to spend.

Suggest you visit some horse trailer dealers in your area and look at  some that are finished out...most basic unfinished trailers have at least a 110volt ac breaker box installed.

Hope this helps.

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-09-10 12:05 PM (#30158 - in reply to #29991)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Chris.

TO get into you can write a book which some people already have. I have some links on my website that can probably lead you in the right direction. The only thing I can say about DIY electrical is to FUSE EVERYTHING and use good quality wire.
http://todd.redwrench.com

Safe Riding,
Todd
chris herron
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-09-12 10:53 PM (#30260 - in reply to #29991)

Thanks Todd, I really like your LQ. Just a little apprehensive about DIY stuff.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)