'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How do you clean red clay off aluminum

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-06 7:04 AM
3 replies, 4192 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-05 9:15 PM (#29971)
Subject: How do you clean red clay off aluminum

Veteran

It has been there over 2 months. I had an accident and could not clean it off. Now I can't budge the spots on the trailer. I have tried the normal car cleaning stuff and Cameo aluminium cleaner. No reults with either. Help
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-06 6:23 AM (#29974 - in reply to #29971)
Subject: RE: How do you clean red clay off aluminum

Expert

Originally written by sable812 on 2005-09-05 9:15 PM

It has been there over 2 months. I had an accident and could not clean it off. Now I can't budge the spots on the trailer. I have tried the normal car cleaning stuff and Cameo aluminium cleaner. No reults with either. Help

I don't know the answer, but there are ways to find out (-:
I assume you've got rid of the lumps and clumps, if so you are probably left with a color that is now (chemically) a part of the finish, perhaps in a way similar to the coloring of anodised aluminum.
You may have a choice between only two options, both involving removal of the colored layer, a) Chemical, e.g. "acid wash". b) Mechanical, e.g. abrasive.
I think I'd find out what the chemical composition of "red clay" is before going too far, though an acid wash at a truck stop might be a low cost and low risk option worth trying anyway.

Good Luck,

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-09-06 6:33 AM (#29975 - in reply to #29974)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2005-09-06 7:23 AM

I think I'd find out what the chemical composition of "red clay" is before going too far, though an acid wash at a truck stop might be a low cost and low risk option worth trying anyway. Good Luck,

I don't know the answer to the question - but having been to PEI quite a few times (where red clay is abundent) It is usually a high iron content that gives red clay it's color - so it's basically rust.

One thing to try (as I haven't found a stain it will not remove yet) is a Mr. Clean eraser - no really - works on everything else. Like any cleaner, try it on a small space first to make sure it will not hurt the surface.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-06 7:04 AM (#29976 - in reply to #29975)

Expert

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-09-06 6:33 AM

Originally written by Reg on 2005-09-06 7:23 AM

I think I'd find out what the chemical composition of "red clay" is before going too far, though an acid wash at a truck stop might be a low cost and low risk option worth trying anyway. Good Luck,

I don't know the answer to the question - but having been to PEI quite a few times (where red clay is abundent) It is usually a high iron content that gives red clay it's color - so it's basically rust.

One thing to try (as I haven't found a stain it will not remove yet) is a Mr. Clean eraser - no really - works on everything else. Like any cleaner, try it on a small space first to make sure it will not hurt the surface.

Interesting...
I've done some filing and sawing of steel on the aluminum truck bed. Little red patches show up from time to time, but they seem to wash right off, not that I'm that fussy about the surface.

One thing about any abrasive method is that it is likely to leave bright polished spots. On a mill finish this could look worse than the colored spots - in the eye of the beholder, etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)