'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Many thoughts and prayers to those in LA, MS, AL...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-02 8:37 AM
5 replies, 2991 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-30 3:59 PM (#29789)
Subject: Many thoughts and prayers to those in LA, MS, AL...

Expert

While this may not be the exact proper place to express this... my thoughts and prayers go out to all with family and friends in the areas recently hit by Katrina.

The news is now reporting that New Orleans has to be evacuated ***after Katrina hit***, since the flooding is so bad.

Even with gas prices as high as they are... if it's at all possible, call the Red Cross and make a donation. I just left my nearby center where I donated blood. I wish I had thought to drop off a check with the "other" side. It's not hard though. I usually call the 800 number and charge it to a charge card. For this effort that number is: 1-800-435-7669

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Summit2
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-31 11:58 AM (#29824 - in reply to #29789)
Subject: RE: Many thoughts and prayers to those in LA, MS, AL...

As you say this may not be the place for this subject, but happened to be checking the photos from "Katrina" and saw a man riding his horse through waist high water, it makes ones day to day small problems seem so insignificant to what is happening to all those people (and animals) .. my heart goes out to them all ...
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-31 4:23 PM (#29840 - in reply to #29789)

Extreme Veteran

"Amen"
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-09-01 1:29 PM (#29877 - in reply to #29840)

Extreme Veteran

Amen ditto.

New Orleans is where I was born and I still have family in the city. Majority of my family is in Baton Rouge but I have a cousin and Great aunt in the Big Easy, both are fine but have lost everything. I also have family in Grand Isle which we have not heard from. Thanks for all the prayers.

Safe Riding,
Todd
jeffghs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-09-01 9:40 PM (#29904 - in reply to #29789)

Veteran

Todd, I wish the best for you and all your family. Unfortunately I have not heard good things from Grand Isle, from what I understand, we have lost our Coast Guard station there, as well as most of the Island. We also lost our Coast Guard stations at Venice, LA and Gulfport. I got a chance to drive through Gulfport and Biloxi yesterday and see some of what most don't and it was just so overwhelming to see and take it all in. When you are able to see it all in person and take it all in you actually realize just how bad things are. I feel very fortunate to only need new shingles on my roof. I'll make it through. I had a stall wall collapse on one of my horses and, again I feel fortunate that she was scraped a little on her head, but was OK. I can tell you from that, the absolute best thing to do is to leave your horses out in a good sized pasture as long as it will be clear. For me leaving was not even an option until Sunday evening due to my military committments. I batttled back and forth to put them in the barn or leave them out. I have seen some things that indicate the best built barns would not have withstood the damage inflicted by this storm. I have learned a lot from this, and I think there will be many lessons and blessings to unfold ahead.

Edited by jeffghs 2005-09-01 9:43 PM
relay101
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-02 8:37 AM (#29914 - in reply to #29789)

Veteran

We tagged our horses and let them go.  I also felt that our barn would not withstand the storm and with several large oak trees surrounding it things didn't look good.  We looked out the window in the midst of the storm and those horses were calmly grazing in 120mph winds.  Their manes were being whipped all over the place!!  I guess with the sweltering heat they were enjoying what they perceived to be a nice cool breeze.  We are without power until further notice but we suffered no loss of life and no damage to speak of just downed trees.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)