'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
F250 & trailer lights- want to run lights w/ the engine off

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-28 9:53 PM
16 replies, 5918 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-25 11:04 PM (#29617)
Subject: F250 & trailer lights- want to run lights w/ the engine off

Someone told me that there is a something I can add/alter/change w/ my '99 F-250 so that I can turn on just the truck lights and have the horse trailer lights come on also. As is, I must turn the engine on in order to turn on the trailer lights. Anyone?? In advance, thank you!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-08-25 11:19 PM (#29619 - in reply to #29617)
Subject: RE: F250 & trailer lights- want to run lights w/ the engine off

Ok, I'm confused already. Need to know what trailer lights that you want to come on, because taillights, for example, will come on without the key even, let alone the truck running, simply by turning the headlight switch either fully on, or to the 'parking' light position. In both of our trailers, the interior lights are wired in with the taillights, so the lightswitch in the truck has to be on for there to be current available to the interior lights. The interior lights then have their own switches at each light.

If your trailer is wired so that the interior lights are on the acceesory circuit, then you need the accesory terminal on the truck powered on. This is the only one that I can think of that you might be dealing with if the truck has to be runnig for the lights to work.

Let us know what you're trying to do specifically, and as much as you know about what you have, then maybe someone can provide a better solution for you.

Mark
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-26 8:40 AM (#29627 - in reply to #29619)

Than you Mark, let me clear up what I want. 

I want the dressing room and horse section lights to come on without turning on the engine.  Your right, the running lights come on by just turning on the truck lights.  Sounds like your onto to something when you mention the accessory circuit.  Is this a something an "electrically challanged girl" <me!!!> could examine and determine then take it to someone for alteration??   I hate having to start up the truck while we load up in the dark for concern of accidently hitting the "lock" button and getting locked out.  Yes, I have a magnetic key hidden for emergency's but those fall off from time to time.

The truck is a '99 F-250, SD, auto, V-10.  The trailer is a Titan 16' gooseneck w/ dressing room. 

santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-26 9:12 AM (#29630 - in reply to #29617)

Regular

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=3040

Try this,  I think this is what you are asking about.  Ford wires the vehicle this way to prevent you from draining the battery.

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-08-26 9:21 AM (#29631 - in reply to #29617)

Veteran

Hi Kansashoss,

I have a 99 Ford sd. also and there was a previous post regarding this same situation. You might try a search on this forum and find it.I know that it involves removing the relay that controls the 12volt power feed to your trailer and putting a jumper accross where the swithed power would have been in the relay socket. Unfortunatly I don't know right off hand which relay it is but may be able to look it up later on if You can't find it in a search or someone else don't have that information handy and post it soon. The proceedure is very simple to do but it must be done correctly otherwise it could cause a short to ground and possibly cause a fire.The relay will have terminals for both the 12 volt feed and also a 12 volt and ground to activate the relay.as long as you put the jumper accross the correct terminals You should be allright and have permanent power supplying the interier lights in your trailer.Just one more thought on the idea that You have is to remember that the reason Ford put the relay in there to start with is to keep anyone from forgetting to turn off the interier lights and running there battery down while hooked to the trailer.Hope this helps,

Ardly

Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-26 9:36 AM (#29632 - in reply to #29617)

Thank you for the other thread, that is exactly what I am talking about wanting with my rig. 

dylan1
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-26 10:23 AM (#29634 - in reply to #29617)

I have a 2002 F-250 and had the same problem you have, I hooked an 8 guage wire to one of the batterys and ran it back to my 7 pin RV plug, I disconnected the origonal wire that worked only with the key on and put a 20 amp circuit breaker in line between the battery and the plug, this way I can have lights in my trailer without having to have the key on. You do have to be carefull that you don't run your truck battery down.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-26 1:59 PM (#29637 - in reply to #29617)

Elite Veteran

It's simpler to just roll down your window and put the key in the start position than to pay somebody a couple hundred dollars to rewire your truck. Your lights will work without actually starting the truck.
ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-08-26 7:58 PM (#29645 - in reply to #29617)

Regular

No...They will not come on with the key on to the "auxilary" position.  Ford makes it so you have to have the truck running and wasting costly fuel.  I know....mine's a 94 F250 with the same set up.
SaddleSore
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-08-26 9:10 PM (#29648 - in reply to #29645)

Regular

Originally written by ISHOM on 2005-08-26 8:58 PM

No...They will not come on with the key on to the "auxilary" position.  Ford makes it so you have to have the truck running and wasting costly fuel.  I know....mine's a 94 F250 with the same set up.

This is odd,my '95 F350 isn't like that.I can have the keys in my pocket and turn the lights on.

SaddleSore

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-26 9:46 PM (#29651 - in reply to #29617)

Expert

It cost me $80 to install a deep cycle battery on the trailer. Then I had power ANY TIME, not just when the truck was hooked up.

Truck charged the battery when I drove.

I think that is a better solution than messing with the wiring on the truck.
greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-08-26 11:57 PM (#29654 - in reply to #29617)

This is what I was thinking, if you find a spot in/on your trailer somewhere to mount a battery, you can use it to run the lights when the truck is off. Are the interior lights that you want on a part of the running light circuit, (can be turned on when the taillights are on), or are they hooked up to the auxiliary circuit? The auxilary circuit is intended for this purpose, to charge trailer batteries (normally RV) while driving, then you have 'stand alone' power when you are parked. Some of the horse trailers with LQ take advantage of this feature. With an extra battery, some wire of the appropriate gauge, and some time, most people could handle this if they aren't afraid of wiring, and can keep things straight in their mind.

To do this, here's how I would go about it. If the plug on the trailer cord is not molded on, take it apart so that you can see what colour your accesory wire is (do a search on here for wiring colours, the 'standard' colour list should be easy to find) Now we're looking for two things, where the accesory wire ends, and where the wire branches off to go to the lights that we want on the battery (in this case the interior lights.) Follow the electrical cord from the plug at the front of the trailer back. At some point it will have to 'separate', whether it be in an electrical box, or someplace is hard to say, it will vary from one trailer to another. What we have to do is this, run a wire from the accesory terminal at the trailer plug (hopefully the wire goes on that we can connect under the trailer or wherever rathr than having to run all new), to the positive terminal on the battery. Another wire has to go from the negative terminal on the battery to ground (ideally back to the white ground wire that hooks into the trailer/truck plugs). Then by disconnecting the wire feeding the interior lights from the taillight circuit, and connecting it to the positive terminal on the battery (may need to run more wire again), you will have a supply for your interior lights, that won't run your truck battery down WHEN (not if) the interior lights get left on.

Mark
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-27 12:55 PM (#29659 - in reply to #29645)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by ISHOM on 2005-08-26 8:58 PM

Well, your truck is older, and mine is the same year as theirs, 1999 F250, and it works just fine on mine and it is factory wired. As long as your key is in the "ON", not auxilary, position the relay for power to the trailer is on. My 2003 F250 woeks with this as well.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-27 10:33 PM (#29668 - in reply to #29617)

Expert

Why take a chance of running down you truck battery.

My trailer dealer welded the aluminum box up under the gooseneck, installed a deep cycle battery and hooked up the wiring for $80. Granted that was 5 years ago. So prices may have changed. but it's still not that expensive for the convience of a battery on the trailer itself.
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-28 11:38 AM (#29682 - in reply to #29617)

The separate battery seems like a very nice option and it's one I wasn't familiar with at all.  Thanks!  May go that route.

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-28 5:37 PM (#29688 - in reply to #29617)

Elite Veteran

On '99s and 00's there are 2 relays by the brake master cylinder. One of them is for the battery charge (accessory). You can ID the relay by turning key on, lights on, and then pull relays until lights go off. Take a 20 amp inline fuseholder, install blade ends on each end, and then insert it in place of the relay. Typically in pins labeled on relay #30 & #87. This will give you a fused circuit that is hot all the time. $2.00 and only 5 minutes. On later Fords (not sure when), this relay was moved to the underdash center, but same procedure. Just a thought...

RTSmith

Edited by RTSmith 2005-08-28 5:39 PM
greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-08-28 9:53 PM (#29697 - in reply to #29617)

Putting the fuse in instead of just a jumper wire is a good idea, but it still has the problem of that ONE time that a light gets left on, and you end up with a dead battery. I know at our place for example, often final loading is done in the early morning while it's still dark, often barn lights and so on are left on, because it's getting light while loading is going on. I can easily see the same thing happening with an interior light on a trailer. If they are hooked into the running lights, then you can easily see when they are on, reducing the chance of them getting left on. If they are running off a separate battery on the trailer then it doesn't matter, the truck battery is independant and can't be affected. (At least if wired correctly.) In our case, it's often my wife doing the driving/trailering these days, I don't want to see her stranded somewhere because of a light being left on running down the truck battery. I'd rather spend $50-100 ahead of time than spending it on a boost from a tow truck in the middle of nowhere. (Assuming that you have a way to get in contact, and in the meantime you have horses to deal with too.)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)