'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dogs on the trail?

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-21 12:35 PM
118 replies, 19436 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 8:10 PM (#31145 - in reply to #29611)
Subject: RE: Dogs on the trail?

Veteran

Well maybe the spray should be used on the owners of the wild dogs. LOL
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 10:11 PM (#31153 - in reply to #29611)

Extreme Veteran

Speaking of bear spray, has anyone here ever encountered a bear while on a horse, or know of anyone who has? I have often wondered what happens. Does the horse get really scared or do they just kind of watch with a wary eye? What do bears typically do when they come across a horse and rider? A few months ago a friend and I rode along the base of a mountain and encountered 3 piles of fresh bear scat within 1/2 mile. We decided to turn around, thinking if mamma was on one side of the trail and cubs on the other, it'd be really dangerous.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-30 4:56 AM (#31161 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

While riding in the Smokies we have encountered bear. The horses were not afraid. Wegot within 100 ft of the bear. It was around a corner on a trail. We just turned around and then came back and it was gone.

While camping at Cataloochee the horses are kept in tie stalls. Bear come into the camp on a regular basis. Wild turkey weat grain residue right under the horses feet. You never hear a peep out of the horses.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-09-30 8:07 AM (#31165 - in reply to #29611)

Extreme Veteran

Up here in Northern NJ and Southern NY state, we've encountered some bear.  When the horses are aware, they generally stop dead on the trail.  Sometimes that's the only reason we know the bears are there.  I've never encountered a bear who acted aggessively, but I'm quite sure if one decided to attack we could not outrun it, especially on some of the narrow woodland trails we ride.  We've also had some problems through the years with wild dogs, some of which are domestic runaways, that run in packs and take down deer and other domestic and farm animals.

For that reason, I'd be interested to know if anyone has used the repellent sprays from the back of a horse.

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-11-02 8:48 PM (#32616 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

When living in MI, I used to take my Aussies on trail w/us.  (she would "head", he would "heel").  Never had a problem w/them or other riders.  In AZ, I left them at camp - too many cactus needles out there to have to worry about digging them out later!  Now, in MT, we leave them home (or at camp) simply becuz a dog can bring a bear, moose, etc BACK to you when it chases after the dog!!  My horses were less spooky on the trails when I regularily had dogs running w/us.  As far as running into bear - we have many times.  Our horses usually don't pay too much attention to them, but we don't stick around to see what "could" happen.  The moose can be another story.....so far, we've not had any problems w/them either, altho one bull started snorting & pawing the ground when he saw us....
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-20 8:54 PM (#33288 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

Well, I'm one of THOSE peolpe. We took our jack russel/jack terrier cross puppy with us every time we camped. When in camp, he's on a leash because he's overly friendl;y and willjump in anyone's lap. We rarely saw anyone on the trails when we had him out. When we were at a busier camp/ride, we took him away from camp in the saddle. When we got out, we let him down. He stays with us. The first time we passed others, he started to go with them. After that, we always stopped when we saw other horses, picked him up, and went away from the horses. Once we were alone, we would let him down. He got quite used to riding inthe saddle. When our friends joined us later in the day, one had a green horse. We left them at home. period. I asked, she said it wouldn't be good, we respected her. He's a little dog and can get in the way. I completely know I am responsible if he gets hurt. I told my husband when we brought home our new horse the pup may get kicked. They always run up on our older gelding in the field. The gelding ignores them unless he wants to play. I wasn't sure what the new horse would do. Turns out new horse doesn't mind. I'm trying to break the pup from running up on the horses. He DOES NOT do this on trails, though or he definitely would NOT go. I also do not take him on rides when we are not camping. He's our camping dog. I know there is a leash law- so I guess I'm an outlaw. So far calling him and resaddling seems to be working fine. Also leavinghim behind works too.Just my 2 cents worth.
mustangrider
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-11-22 12:41 PM (#33327 - in reply to #29611)

New User

Hello, I'm new here and just wanted to add to this topic.

I take my dogs more times than not when I ride trails.  However, I ride alone most of the time and my dogs are under voice control always.  There are times that I ride with friends and ask if they mind if my dogs come along.  If they have a problem with them, the dogs stay home simple as that.  I don't have the opportunity to ride in state or national parks as most of my riding is in national forests or on private land and I have yet to have anyone tell me to leash my dog as they are extremely well behaved and do not chase wildlife or cause any problems. 

I have encountered bear before - twin cinnamon colored black bear.  They ran like heck when they caught scent and only got a glimpse of them running like their heads were on fire and asses were catching.

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-24 7:19 AM (#33402 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

I am an outspoken person yet if someone ask me if I cared if their dog went I would most likely lie and say I didn't care  so the person's feelings would not be hurt. 

I really believe the only people who like the dogs on the trail are the owners of the dogs and it is very selfish of the owners to bring them.  It is also more  dangerous riding with dogs than without them. 

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-25 4:37 PM (#33436 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

Well about 30 minutes after I posted this a friend called and ask if I minded if her dog came.  I told her no even though I really cared and did not want the dog to go. 

How many of us do this. 

sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-11-25 10:03 PM (#33443 - in reply to #33436)

Touchy subject huh?  I have good and bad experiences with dogs on trails.  i had one friend that had a great dog to go riding with, Belgium sheepdog.  Never bothered the horses, just looked like he was having the time of his life but wouldn't whine if he had to stay behind.  Another woman I knew had a dog that sooo many horse people have and was completely obnoxious out on trail and whined at camp.  I really haven't seen one of these dogs on the trail that I would call "good trail dogs" but they are everywhere with horses.  I did finally tell the one that her dog was not welcome, explaining that the dog nipped at my horse, frequently bringing up the rear, and constantly under the horses. 
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-27 4:05 PM (#33475 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

Sundance's girl, would it have been an Blue Heeler by any chance.  My sister has one, and we have to chain it up when we go riding because it will bite at the rear legs of the horses.  My lab/chow mix has been a great trail riding dog, but I also don't take him if there are several of us going or if someone minds the dog going. 
sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-11-27 8:50 PM (#33486 - in reply to #29611)

You got it right on the first try!  I love dogs but there are some I just don't think belong on a trail.  I have a basset hound and she thinks she would love to go riding but I know better!

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-29 2:23 AM (#33548 - in reply to #33486)

Elite Veteran

You guys would be livid if you went trail riding with me. When our group goes, we can have 10-12 dogs on the trail. Sometimes there are more dogs than horses! Breeds are from Shepherd/Husky, heelers, hounds, and many others mixes. In 10 years, we have never had a problem. Then again, our horses know what dogs are and the dogs know about the horses.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-29 2:38 PM (#33572 - in reply to #33548)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by krys on 2005-11-29 12:23 AM

You guys would be livid if you went trail riding with me. When our group goes, we can have 10-12 dogs on the trail. Sometimes there are more dogs than horses! Breeds are from Shepherd/Husky, heelers, hounds, and many others mixes. In 10 years, we have never had a problem. Then again, our horses know what dogs are and the dogs know about the horses.

Heck if you rode with us we would add 3 more, 2 heelers and an aussie! They sure teach a horse not to spook when they flush a cubby of quail out under the horse or come from out of the brush! They do obey voice command...heel!!!!  Is used around others....They don't need a 6' leash....We quit going to the regulated parks with rules and always more people! The wilderness areas on the populated side of the state are a zoo in my opinion! I ride to get away from that! It is the people that can't control there dog, kids, horses....whatever that make those who do suffer. I'll ride with a bad dog(biters=dead) over a bad horse anyday!

Edited by xyzer 2005-11-29 2:39 PM
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-02 3:54 AM (#33673 - in reply to #33572)

Elite Veteran

xyzer...I see you're in Oregon too. Where? I am about 6 miles off Hwy 47. You may just have to come and ride in our neck of the woods.  I can count on one hand how many times I have been riding in those regulated parks. I didn't like it either. I count my blessings where I live and the places I have to ride my horse. Hasn't always been that way. I remember way back, living in the city and boarding at a stable.

Edited by krys 2005-12-02 3:56 AM
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-12-02 1:38 PM (#33681 - in reply to #33673)

Extreme Veteran

KRYS...We live near Albany...Have many miles of...private trails..we are spoiled!!! Have some property in Southeast OR near BLY....no city folk down there...The wilderness areas are far enough away to keep the day people away....I found that the wilderness areas on the west side get trampled by the day people....Hwy 47...must be north of us ...not sure...We thought of moving awile back but it was hard to find a place that you could ride out the back door!! 

Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-12-06 12:43 PM (#33794 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

Dogs...have seen several people get bucked off when dog or dogs popped out of brush and ran right under horse's feet. And these were good, solid trail horses with lots of trail miles on 'em.

Don't mind dogs myself, but my opinion of taking them on trail rides is:

1. Okay if you're riding by yourself and you wanna take your dog with you.
2. Leave 'em behind if you're riding with other people, unless they are bringing dogs, too.
3. Teach your horse to not spook at dogs for the people who don't follow #1 and #2!!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by Flooper 2005-12-06 12:46 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-12-06 8:44 PM (#33809 - in reply to #29611)

Had my miniature horse and cart at horse camp a couple of months ago;  several "solid" trail horses spooked, one rather badly even though I pulled over and stopped.   Personally I like riding with dogs and think it is a good thing for both horses and dogs.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-12-06 10:54 PM (#33812 - in reply to #33809)

Extreme Veteran

For me, it really depends on the dogs. I always rode with a lab/shepard mix when I was a kid. He stayed right behind us, and never ran under their feet or ran into their legs. The situation I was complaining about was that it was truly dangerous for me because of undisciplined dogs that were with my group. They repeatedly ran by my horse on a trail about a foot wide, basically running between and bumping into his legs and kept stopping abruptly in front of me, all while on trails that had some fairly steep drop offs. My horse is pretty tightly wound, and I had my hands full just staying on the trail. I can handle most situations with my horse, but that ride was nuts. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, just don't want to ride with dogs that are idiots.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-12-08 12:44 PM (#33867 - in reply to #29611)

Extreme Veteran

I love dogs, too.  I don't think it's the dogs who are the idiots! 
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-12-08 8:10 PM (#33879 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

I've already posted my opinion on dogs. My horse got used to my dog scaring stuff up head of us. He was a little more edgier when we were solo.Anyway, If you are really concerned about your safety, then you shouldn't be so shy about saying No. I hope you don't have children because if you can't say "no" to someone when you don't feel comfortable what would that teach your children? I'm sorry I'm off topic and on a soap box, but you've got to stand up and say no.When a friend invites me on a trail ride, I ask if it's OK for my daughter to ride, too. We respect each other and are able to be repectful to each other. Some ride just aren't for kids-- or dogs.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-12-09 6:56 PM (#33911 - in reply to #33809)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by rose on 2005-12-06 6:44 PM

Had my miniature horse and cart at horse camp a couple of months ago;  several "solid" trail horses spooked, one rather badly even though I pulled over and stopped.   Personally I like riding with dogs and think it is a good thing for both horses and dogs.
I agree....I had a horse that never saw a pack mule loaded down...WEEEEEEEEEE...Sacking out a horse in my book includes everthing alive or not nailed down....but I agree there are times they should stay home....like kids!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-12-09 10:45 PM (#33918 - in reply to #29611)

Also I ALWAYS wear a helmet when I ride;  and just got a protective vest which is going to take some getting used to but wear it, I will.  Safety is a real personal issue and I agree that riding groups need to be courteous to one another and that includes asking that dogs stay at home/in camp if need be.  No one should take offense to a request to put the dogs up if it helps the safety of the group.  I want the folks I ride with to feel safe and comfortable.  A little sense and courtesy makes things go more smoothly.  About my wicked mini, sometimes some horses will spook, its the nature of the critter.  Happy and safe trails.
csshea
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-01-08 10:10 AM (#35109 - in reply to #29611)

Like XYZer and Krys, I ride with a group that frequently has more dogs than horses. The group has been riding together, with dogs, for 20 years. If I didn't want to ride with dogs, I wouldn't risk it, but I wouldn't ask this group not to bring dogs. I'd go with other people. I went for a year with my horse with this group before I brought my dog. I wanted to feel comfortable being responsible for my self and my horse before adding the responsibility of the dog. I have 3 dogs, and tried each of them separately, and only one made a good trail dog. The other two actually heeled too much for the horses comfort. I bring the one every time now. The other two stay home. The group makes choices about the dogs they bring. Most of the people in the group have dogs they bring and dogs they leave home. We have a new person that does not bring a dog. She only rides with us some of the time. She has one horse that doesn't mind the dogs, and one she rides without us. If I ride with other people that don't bring dogs, I usually just leave the dog home. I have had people that know me ask "where's your dog?" and I just say I left her home because I didn't know how your horse would do. Sometimes they'll say they were worried about it, and I just don't bring her with them. Other times they'll say, "bring her next time, we're fine." I agree that if people aren't comfortable with something they are responsible to say "no." But it is important for all of us to be respectful of others.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 10:32 AM (#35112 - in reply to #29611)

Expert

I've owned a GOOD dog that required no voice to stay with me.Stayed close in and was wary of horses.BUT I didn't take him often.One of the reasons I did not was DOG FIGHTS.I've seen a few and seen the aftermath of dogs with one group encountering another group with dogs.I've seen a Harlequin Great Dane with 4 dogs on every corner of him and owners of the four hollering and screaming trying to get them off him.Two groups passing each other and the Dane did NOT start it.I've seen smaller dogs hurt bad because of this.Wife and I had a big sorrel half and half(Saddlebred/Walker cross)that was a racking machine.She was riding him and we went through a curve to the right on the trail at a gait and a dog that was with his owner(good dog) was just NEAR this horses left  rear and without missing stride poor dog got his nose kicked dead on through his butt.I saw it and he was  hit solid and dead on.Dog went into convulsions and pee'd all over himself and stopped moving.It didn't kill him but ALL of US sure thought at first it did.Dog rode back in the saddle to camp and next day still acted like he'd been hit by a Mack truck.Anyhow.I'd prefer unless REALLY out in the boonies for days leave dogs AT HOME.

Edited by hounddog 2006-01-08 10:35 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)