'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tragic trailering accident in Mass.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-28 6:25 AM
16 replies, 7336 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-24 12:16 PM (#29565)
Subject: Tragic trailering accident in Mass.

Expert

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BOS3925/

According to friends of the driver, she hit a pothole and the entire rig flipped or rolled several times. There was a large horse (17.2 hands) and a pony on board who were both killed in the accident. The driver and passenger had minor injuries. 

Other comments were that the Expedition has too short a wheelbase for the 2H BP with DR. I don't know if a WDH was in use.

Hitting a pothole can be, many times, unavoidable. The results could have been just as bad with a larger vehicle because the pothole itself could have caused a blow-out or loss of control. Driving around major metropolitan areas on multi-lane expressways has to be the most white-knuckled driving any horse owner (towing a trailer) can ever experience.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Summit2
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-24 2:46 PM (#29571 - in reply to #29565)
Subject: RE: Tragic trailering accident in Mass.

How awful.  We have more than enough truck to haul our 4H LQ trailer however I always have a slight edginess when hauling horses, breathe a sight of relief when we arrive at our destination and then when we get back home.  I'm sure those people feel terrible about the horses. 
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-24 4:08 PM (#29573 - in reply to #29565)

Expert

Lets be glad the PEOPLE didn't die or sustain serious injury
Lankyman
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-08-24 5:04 PM (#29576 - in reply to #29565)

Regular

Farmbabe, that is so true!!!  That wreck could have been a LOT worse.  It could have been multi-vehicle with many people killed.  Sorry to hear about their loss, but at least they were able to walk away from it without serious injuries.  We all need to be careful out there on the roads.  Things like this only take a fraction of a second & can happen not only to horse people pulling big rigs, but other smaller vehicles. 
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-24 6:34 PM (#29579 - in reply to #29565)

Expert

a pothole, huh? must have been a big one.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-08-24 6:38 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-25 6:56 AM (#29586 - in reply to #29565)

Expert

Tragic indeed.
The particular road IS BAD, both for traffic and often surface.
That said, I still have some trouble understanding how she hit it without warning. If you don't see them DIRECTLY you usually see that the line of cars in front of you is doing the MDSN (Massachusetts driver snake dance), so you know that something other than road kill take out is up ahead. There was some suggestion that she overcorrected after she hit it,,, I find that quite believable.

As the article says, the cause is still under investigation, it is also under a LOT of local speculation.

Edited by Reg 2005-08-25 6:59 AM
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-25 7:37 AM (#29588 - in reply to #29565)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Reg it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My guess was that there was more to it than just the pot hole, inattention, speed, inexperience, and/or maintenance issues on the rig were likely part and parcel to the accident (but then most accidents are more a chain of events rather than one cause).

Regardless of the reasons, it is a horrible thing to have happen.  My heart goes out to her and her family.

Edited by MBRA518 2005-08-25 7:38 AM
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-25 7:50 AM (#29590 - in reply to #29565)

Regular

That is a tragedy. It's all ready been said. I breath a sigh of releif when we get there and when we arrive back at the house. For me I can't even imagine the pain they must be feeling right now. My heart goes out to them for their loss. I agree experience has a lot to do with it. Having the right vehicle when pulling horses or anything of significant size is equally important.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-25 9:42 AM (#29593 - in reply to #29590)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Horse Crazy on 2005-08-25 8:50 AM

. My heart goes out to them for their loss. I agree experience has a lot to do with it. Having the right vehicle when pulling horses or anything of significant size is equally important.

The vehicle was an Expedition - those things are huge - they are built on a full truck frame.... I doubt type of tow vehicle had any part of it - though set up and/or maintenance may have played a part. It does say that the rig rolled over the guard rail - so maybe the high center of gravity didn't help the issue..... though a 4x4 pick up truck wouldn't have faired any better.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-25 10:48 AM (#29595 - in reply to #29565)

Expert

I admit to being VERY surprised and taken off guard recently when my L'il Jamco SUDDENLY blew a tire. Despite the tow vehicle weight and the oft claimed "stability" of a dually, it DID pull the truck around. Fortunately this was below 30 MPH.

Re "Experience": The word reminds me of a strip cartoon;
Frame 1: Sail boat making good way, neatly trimmed, etc., caption "Doing things right comes from experience"
Frame 2: Similar sail boat, sails loose, sheets flopping everywhere, going nowhere., caption "Experience comes from doing things wrong".

I attribute my survival of my early driving years to LUCK !
I've learned to dampen my reactions, my reflexes have slowed, I'm not sure if I'm actually safer, though I know I'm more cautious.

Any (scuba) diver will tell you that just about ANY accident is the result of several contributing factors. I think with traffic accidents we (naturally) tend to want to shift the blame to... well, ANYWHERE, ANYTHING, just not ME !
Surface, visibility, traffic density, on and on - these are just EXCUSES.
We HAVE TO drive within the limitations they impose, ESPECIALLY with our larger, less manuverable, harder to stop rigs.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-25 11:24 AM (#29596 - in reply to #29579)

Expert

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-08-24 6:34 PM

chadsalt... living in SC buffers you from the absolutely wretched results of cracked pavement that gets water into it and then freezes and busts apart. Which is then repaired... albiet usually not adequately - and the repair then falls apart after 50 or so vehicles drive over it.  There's been times when I've seen holes completely through a bridge structure - no pavement AT ALL... 

There's some magic line that bisects northern states into north-south regions where only asphalt can be installed for roads built on the northern side of this line and on the southern side of the line, concrete can be installed. This is the civil-road engineers method to that allows road builders to use concrete for some roads and blacktop for others to allow for the ice-breakup-road phenomenon. Alas, mother nature plays us the fool and doesn't always follow this north-south division.

So far as avoiding the pothole... there are times when I'm not sure if I'm approaching a hole or a patch in the road...  Taking evasive action when towing a horse trailer might be the worst thing to do... or who's to say that perhaps she DID tried to avoid the pothole, hit it anyway, and the combination of efforts was what created the accident?

I posted the article as a simple reminder that accidents CAN and DO happen. Hug your horse when you return from a safe trip.

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-25 12:27 PM (#29600 - in reply to #29565)

Extreme Veteran

Reg - funny you mention the diver thing... I'm a diver - that's likely where the "chain of events" came from. But it is so true - often it's a chain of 3 or more events that result in an accident... where if only one or two things happened all would have been fine. For instance, the article mentioned the rig flipped over a guard rail.... had it only been a shallow ditch there this likely would have been a much happier story. That fact does make you think that maybe the guard rail should have been higher in the first place!

I agree experience comes from mistakes - hopefully more of someone else's than your own, and small mistakes - not big one's like this poor lady.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-25 12:46 PM (#29602 - in reply to #29600)

Expert

I'm also superstitous (-:
Not only about the rule of thirds (1/3), but if I find 2 mistakes in my pre-dive routine, prep, or problems with my gear - I just don't dive that day.
I figure my senses are "off" and the third (fourth and fifth ?) items would probably conspire to kill me.

I don't remember where I picked this up, but I've had a few days on the boat's deck or the beach and enjoyed them about as much.

safe bubbles,
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-25 3:01 PM (#29605 - in reply to #29596)

Expert

Originally written by gabz on 2005-08-25 12:24 PM

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-08-24 6:34 PM

chadsalt... living in SC buffers you from the absolutely wretched results of cracked pavement that gets water into it and then freezes and busts apart. Which is then repaired... albiet usually not adequately - and the repair then falls apart after 50 or so vehicles drive over it.  There's been times when I've seen holes completely through a bridge structure - no pavement AT ALL... 

There's some magic line that bisects northern states into north-south regions where only asphalt can be installed for roads built on the northern side of this line and on the southern side of the line, concrete can be installed. This is the civil-road engineers method to that allows road builders to use concrete for some roads and blacktop for others to allow for the ice-breakup-road phenomenon. Alas, mother nature plays us the fool and doesn't always follow this north-south division.

So far as avoiding the pothole... there are times when I'm not sure if I'm approaching a hole or a patch in the road...  Taking evasive action when towing a horse trailer might be the worst thing to do... or who's to say that perhaps she DID tried to avoid the pothole, hit it anyway, and the combination of efforts was what created the accident?

I posted the article as a simple reminder that accidents CAN and DO happen. Hug your horse when you return from a safe trip.

gabz thank for pointing out the road conditions for north/south. a true "southener" may not have been away of that. i however only recently moved here having spent most of my time near chicago. and after running through potholes and destroying my share of tires/rims and never ending up in the ditch, i was simply equating the "pothole" to the mysterious "i was swerving to miss a deer" senerio. but i would also agree with the fact it was likely a series of events that lead to the wreck.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-25 3:17 PM (#29606 - in reply to #29605)

Expert

i was simply equating the "pothole" to the mysterious "i was swerving to miss a deer" senerio.

Gotcha..... I did that once.... to avoid a dog, or a fox, or a coyote...

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-25 4:11 PM (#29607 - in reply to #29606)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by gabz on 2005-08-25 4:17 PM

i was simply equating the "pothole" to the mysterious "i was swerving to miss a deer" senerio.

Gotcha..... I did that once.... to avoid a dog, or a fox, or a coyote...

he he he.. me too - Dog.... auh to be 16 and driving Mom's car again LOL.... that was one of those "exerperiance" mistakes

Reg... I'm also not too proud to abort a Dive... I have done that a few times... When you are requiring everything to go well to stay alive, you don't mess with it. I find a if a few things are off and I just don't feel good about it I get out of the water! better Safe than Sorry!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-28 6:25 AM (#29672 - in reply to #29565)

Expert

My son had several cases of a green pick up truck coming towards him that was "fish tailing", so he had to avoid it. It isn't clear whether it was always the same one (-:

In Mass we have a driver who "stops short" and provides everyone else with a reason to run off the road. I think its only one, though he/she really seems to get around. SOMEhow whoever it is manages to get the following car to follow within a few feet of their bumper before they suddenly brake and stop in about 1/4 of the distance possible under the prevailing laws of physics.
Not that Mass has ever accepted such laws as being constitutional...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)