'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hide-a-ball hitch problems

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-16 11:05 PM
14 replies, 6088 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

nonblue
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 12:56 PM (#29223)
Subject: Hide-a-ball hitch problems

New User

For the second time this weekend, we had problems with the handle (for the ball engage/release mechanism) dragging on the back tire of the pick-up.  Last time, it cause the ball to disengage when my husband was backing the trailer into its parking spot.  This time, we kept hearing a noise that sounded like "grit" on the ball--you know that squeaking/grinding noise.  Before we realized what was happening, the handle had rubbed a hole in the tire & we had a blowout.  My husband handled it well...we changed the tire & continued the remaining hour home.  We checked the ball after he changed the tire (& bent the handle against the bed so it wouldn't do the same thing to the spare).  The ball was secure.  When we got home to park, the ball twisted again & the trailer wound up sitting in the bed of the truck.  Thankfully, this didn't happen on the road!  The folks who installed it are going to look at it this afternoon (they supposedly fixed it after the first incident)--so I don't know what their response is going to be.  Has any body else had this sort of problem?  What was done to fix it?  Is this something that may happen again with this type of hitch?  The hitch is installed in an 04 Chevy 2500HD diesel extended cab, long bed.  We pull a steel 3-horse with living quarters.  The hitch is rated plenty high enough for the load (30K rated, 11.5K trailer).  Should we be considering a different type of hitch?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 1:06 PM (#29224 - in reply to #29223)
Subject: RE: Hide-a-ball hitch problems

Extreme Veteran

Question....What brand hitch is it?
nonblue
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 1:26 PM (#29228 - in reply to #29223)

New User

I think its a Reese, but I'm not certain. 
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-15 1:30 PM (#29229 - in reply to #29223)

Veteran

Without knowing the brand of hitch......but when I went to buy a gooseneck hitch for my 02 F250 Crew Cab, I was fortunate enough to get the owner manual for the "turn-over" ball hitch that the dealer recommended. After reading the manual I found it was not recommended for trucks like mine due to heat and possible problems with the ball being hidden and hitting the rear end if rough terrain was encountered. I doubt this is your problem, but I went with a "Remove a Ball" type and its working great. I think they use the same frame mount as your unit. Maybe its just a minor adjustment on yours...hope so.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 1:37 PM (#29230 - in reply to #29223)

Extreme Veteran

I have the fold over type and haven't had a problem and I know quite a few people using that type. The release for mine is right at the ball  - so your's sounds completely different.

here's how mine works if you are interested http://community.webshots.com/album/213656445VGKIiq

I can't get a mental picture of how your works - mine is no where near my tire...

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 1:38 PM (#29232 - in reply to #29223)

Extreme Veteran

I'm not familar with the configuration of a Reese. I have a B&W and would recomend it highly! It doesn't have any clearance issues like you describe on a Dodge. I would scrap a hitch that causes a blowout in milliseconds!  Wait for more responses...I'm sure you will get more specific information!

Edited by xyzer 2005-08-15 1:40 PM
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-15 4:45 PM (#29238 - in reply to #29223)

Extreme Veteran

This is the type of GN hitch that you can turn the ball over to be flat in the bed of the truck without climbing in and out of the bed to flip it:

http://www.towshop.com/page21.html

You should contact the manufacturer of this problem before you get into a dangerous situation. I can see where this would cause a tire blowout. I wonder if others are having this same problem. Sounds like a future recall! The lever to flip the ball hitch is under the drivers side rear tire well. Yikes!!! Hope you can get this fixed soon.

BTW I have the same type of hitch as MBR, the Curt, in my '04 Duramax shortbed, and love it. Don't mind climbing in and out of the truck. Works for me!!

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-15 5:56 PM (#29240 - in reply to #29238)

Extreme Veteran

I'd get rid of that hitch, no need for more worries when you are towing.  I have a flip hitch.  But,  oh my lord, I have to climb in the bed of my truck to flip it!  Mine is locked in place with a threaded bolt, very safe but a little more labor intensive.  When climbing in the back of the truck becomes too much work, perhaps it's time to consider a new  hobby. 
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-15 10:49 PM (#29250 - in reply to #29223)

Expert

One of the reason I went with the Diamond Hitch (www.DIAMONDHITCHINC.com) was because they don't have any handles under the bed that might cut a tire or get gummed up with mud/debris.

Yes I have to climb in the bed and depress a spring with my thumb in order to remove the ball and invert it for a flat bed. For me that's once or twice a month. I use my gooseneck more than I haul flat objects. So it's no big deal.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-08-16 2:17 AM (#29255 - in reply to #29223)

Veteran

I have a B&W hitch in the same kind of truck as you have. I have not had any problems with mine. The handle on mine is right up next to the frame so I don't think it could even cause a blowout. It's on a spring that pulls it back next to the frame when I'm not changing the ball. Hopes this helps.
FordLvr
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-16 10:24 AM (#29262 - in reply to #29223)

Our gooseneck ball is removable. It is held in by a spring loaded locking pin. Yes you have to climb into the bed of the truck to release the ball. Handling it when you remove it and put it back in can be messy because we keep it greased so well. But the system is simple and easy to operate and very strong/durable.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-08-16 11:04 AM (#29264 - in reply to #29223)

Extreme Veteran

I also have to pull a lever to release the pin that holds my ball in place.  The lever is on the driver's side, but in the bed, so I have to climb into the bed to pull the lever and lift the ball.  I keep the ball well greased with waterproof grease and use an old sock on the ball to lift it out and store it in the cab. It keeps my hands clean and I can replace the sock when it gets really bad.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-16 11:07 AM (#29265 - in reply to #29223)

Elite Veteran

Something is amiss, or it must be something other than a B&W or popup, because the handles for both those hitches are within a couple inches of the frame rail, nowhere near the tire.

Ike has a short bed, I can tell from his post, as he can't use a popup brand or B&W because of the way they mount. UNLESS you put it in the normal position and get a GN extender, which I did.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-16 12:30 PM (#29268 - in reply to #29262)

Expert

I have the spring loaded pin, get in the truck bed type too and think it's probably one of the best I've ever had.  To keep my hands nice and clean, I take a plastic bag, turn it inside out, and pull the greasy ball out with it.  Then I just flip the bag back to the right way and seal it.  No mess at all!
bgavlick
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-08-16 11:05 PM (#29285 - in reply to #29223)

I have the same pop up ball setup and had the same problem, blew the inner tire on my dually...the problem is in the engineering of the handle that you push/pull on.When the truck is unloaded (no weight from trailer)the handle has plenty of clearance from the tire however when the trailer is hooked up and puts a load down on the rear suspension of the truck the frame drops down about 2-3 inches and the lever only has about 1 inch of clearance so when you hit a bump while loaded the lever will touch the tire...what we did was pull the lever out of the hitch assembly which is held in by a single set screw (that wont hold it permanently) and shorten it about 1 1/2 inches, re-install it and weld the lever to its coupler along with the set screw...problem solved...other than that little problem I really like this hitch setup.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)