'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
DC Problems in new Elite/Sierra LQ Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-16 1:44 AM
10 replies, 5448 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

IMBrenda
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-14 1:55 PM (#29195)
Subject: DC Problems in new Elite/Sierra LQ Trailers

New User

I'm hoping there's an electrical whiz somewhere on here. Purchased a 2005 Elite LQ, 14' with a slide out, from Leonards Truck and Trailer this past April. I travel and work out of my trailer unit along with a small crew, and count on using DC power about 1/2 of the time, just for low use general lighting when on the road. Hate to be left in the dark.

This trailer unit won't hold a charge. It's been serviced seven times (mostly on my dime). The primary wiring harness was replaced. The plug from truck to trailer replaced. Fridge: replaced. Nothing works. The manufacturer/dealership won't replace the trailer, and refuses to pay for a generator to help get my crew and me down the road. I'll have to buy a generator--but still want very much to know if anyone out there has any suggestions that might get this brand new unit running as it should? Everyone seems to be fresh out of ideas. . .and I'm sick about having a brand new trailer that doesn't work properly.

Help?

Brenda Imus
gaitsofgold.com

PS: Next time I'll go to Dixie Horse and Mule Co.-they were GREAT when I got my last trailer!

Edited by IMBrenda 2005-08-14 1:57 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-14 3:13 PM (#29196 - in reply to #29195)
Subject: RE: DC Problems in new Elite/Sierra LQ Trailers

Extreme Veteran

I have an Elite with TMP package and my DC power does not keep charged over maybe two or three days. I have to keep my trailer plugged in or run the generator. The smoke detectors, fridge, and lights will run it down faster than you think especially if you have only one battery.

Sorry to hear your trouble. Sounds as if you need a generator to me.
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-08-14 9:30 PM (#29202 - in reply to #29195)

Veteran

Could we get more information Please.  When you say that you are on the road, do you mean parked away from home, or moving down the highway.  If you are moving and the battery is going down, the polarity on the truck may be reversed.  Does your truck charge the battery as you drive?
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-15 7:46 AM (#29209 - in reply to #29195)

Expert

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe Elite does their own LQs.  This means that you should be contacting the LQ installer, not the dealer.
jeffghs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 11:23 AM (#29221 - in reply to #29195)

Veteran

Brenda,I also have a Sierra LQ in my trailer I just got. You could contact them for assistance, their web site is www.sierrainteriors.com Something I also picked up on while reading the package that came with my trailer is that the main power switch needs to be on while hooked to your tow vehicle in order to maintain the trailer batteries. How much the batteries will be able to charge depends on the amperage of your alternator. Another way to help maintain the batteries is to install solar panels on the roof of your trailer.
justinc
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-15 11:44 AM (#29222 - in reply to #29195)

I am not sure I would like that. My master switch would need to be on while driving down the highway.That doesn't sound very safe.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 1:18 PM (#29225 - in reply to #29222)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by justinc on 2005-08-15 11:44 AM

I am not sure I would like that. My master switch would need to be on while driving down the highway.That doesn't sound very safe.

Everything should be fused?! If you get a short they should blow. Depending how it is wired the main switch would have to be on. You could check to see if the tow vehicle is charging is by measuring the voltage at the LQ battery with tow vehicle is running. 14.0-14.3 Volts +/-. Check the voltage with the main switch on and off. If the voltage is the same, you can run with it off and it will be charging. If the voltage drops to 12.6ish with the main off you will have to run wiyh it on. Another post mentioned there are other accesories that draw current. They may be helping in draining your battery. Two or Three batteries may be cheaper than a generator?!   

Edited by xyzer 2005-08-15 1:21 PM
justinc
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-15 2:20 PM (#29233 - in reply to #29195)

Depending on the load and the short. What happens when your power awning switch shorts closed and it opens up on the freeway? Your slide out room?
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 2:50 PM (#29234 - in reply to #29233)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by justinc on 2005-08-15 2:20 PM

Depending on the load and the short. What happens when your power awning switch shorts closed and it opens up on the freeway? Your slide out room?

I agree with you 100% justinc!  But if the master switch disconects you from the tow vehicle charge system you arn't charging the battery with the switch off, my point was to test the system to see how it is wired. It is probably wired correctly...Just maybe depending alot on one battery and all of the hidden (more than lights) 12v requirements for L/Q. Most L/Q's have provisions for 2 aux. batterys.(hmm I re-read and it's not stated how many batteries they have) Batteries are cheaper than generators.When you activate your slide out you may want to leave you truck running. There is a big current draw there!  Anyway justinc I agree with you 100%!

Edited by xyzer 2005-08-15 3:08 PM
LTT1
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-15 6:16 PM (#29242 - in reply to #29195)

New User

It is true that Ms. Brenda Imus, of Gaits of Gold, purchased a 2005 Elite three horse trailer with a Sierra Interiors conversion from Leonard Truck & Trailer, Inc. on April 18, 2005. However, Leonard Truck & Trailer would like to respond to the open letter Ms. Imus has published.

Each and every time Brenda has contacted Leonard Truck & Trailer regarding service issues, our staff has immediately responded. Each time Ms. Imus contacted us about her service problems she received prompt attention and service from either us or Sierra Interiors or our designated service provider. On those occasions where Ms. Imus failed to contact us or take her trailer to a designated service provider, she may have unnecessarily incurred costs. All service provided by us or our designated service provider was provided under warranty.

Finally, Sierra instructed a technician to service Ms. Imus's unit until there were no longer any issues. Upon the installation of a new refrigerator the amperage issues were finally resolved.

The staff and management of Leonard Truck & Trailer, Inc., as well as those at Sierra Interiors have worked diligently to resolve the problems Ms. Imus encountered when they were given the opportunity. Both Leonard Truck & Trailer, Inc. and Sierra regret that Ms. Imus has chose to inaccurately portray the service history associated with her trailer.

Clint Leonard

President

LEONARD TRUCK & TRAILER, INC.

rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-08-16 1:44 AM (#29253 - in reply to #29195)

Extreme Veteran

She obviously STILL has problems, which is very frustrating for us working class folk after we shell out the enormously high dollar that dealers get for trucks/trailers, only to have them malfunction and break down. According to her post some very basic, (Brand New)main components, primary wiring harness,plug from truck to trailer,fridge, were defective and had to be replaced. Has the sound of poor quality/inferior workmanship. Leonard would have done better to get to the route problem and fix it, and let Brenda post how satisfied she is with them as well as their product, rather than  air their inefficacies on a public forum. Word of mouth is the most valuable measure of a product or service. Trying to publish a defense to those not involved has a ring of admission of guilt. 

I've heard good about Leonard before, sure hope they can reslove this issue and we continue to hear good reports.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)