'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
help need to know where to tie horse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-12 5:49 PM
11 replies, 4348 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-11 5:18 AM (#29115)
Subject: help need to know where to tie horse

Regular

Hi-I just purchased a trail-ett 1999 horse trailer.  My first trailer ever and one problem...I can not figure out where to tie my horse.  There is only one large o-ring near the ceiling on each side.  Could this possable be where a rope hangs from.  Seems so high.  thanks for any help.  Deb B.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 7:04 AM (#29119 - in reply to #29115)
Subject: RE: help need to know where to tie horse

Expert

Welcome to the forum:

From your description ... That's the place to tie the horse. (not really...) Instead, I would get a couple of trailer ties that have the panic snap on the end.  Remember to put the panic snap on the trailer.  If you put the panic snap on the horse, you have a hard time trying to release the horse without putting yourself in danger.  Also, with the panic snap on the trailer, you'll have a short lead on a loose horse.  Other wise, just a loose horse with a halter.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 8:22 AM (#29122 - in reply to #29119)

Expert

I like to use a panic snap with a regular snap attached to it at the halter end along with the panic snap at the trailer wall.  I use the regular double end snap to attach to the halter but the panic snap is still there in case I have to quick release at the halter end.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 9:03 AM (#29127 - in reply to #29115)

Extreme Veteran

No, not too high at all, maybe for you to reach!! When people camp out, they highline their horses with the line being at a 7' height. Some people don't tie in a trailer, some use lead ropes, or trailer ties or those bungee type ties(which I personally wouldn't recommend). Pack a sharp knife in that trailer!!!
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-11 9:04 AM (#29128 - in reply to #29115)

Elite Veteran

IN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, YES, that is where the lead rope, trailer tie, bungee, or whatever you decide to tie them with is supposed to be connected to.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-11 11:54 AM (#29136 - in reply to #29115)

Expert

I don't tie in the trailer anymore. But I do usually run my lead rope through the tie loops, mostly to keep the horse from tangle it up. It just keeps the lead away from the horse feet.

My horses are polite enough to wait for me to ask them to back out.  So I don't worry about restraining them.  Your horses and trailer equipment require something different

When I load them I just throw the lead over their back and let them load themselves. I can then enter the trailer and close the partion and fish the lead rope through the tie ring. I asbsolutely don't want to be in a trailer with a horse that blows up. I don't want to be trying to cut a lead rope with knife while a goes crazy and scrambles in the trailer.  Especially with bungi trailer or cross ties.  Ever seen one of those fly through the air when a horse pulls back and snaps it.

Palmetto
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-11 12:40 PM (#29137 - in reply to #29115)

i dont tie my horses up in the trailer either.

I was walking out of a resturant one night a few months ago, and I heard a large banging coming from someones aluminum trailer in the parking lot.  It was a high sided stock combo style aluminum trailer with the 2 air slats on both sides.  Well, you could see the sides of the trailer bowing out where the horse was kickin/pawing at the trailer.  By the time I got over there, all the racket had shut down, and there was a dead horse in the trailer.

Apparently, the horse got chocked down somehow,and suffocated.  this was not a trailer with dividers, it was totally open.  In not sure what triggered it, but it was terrible to witness.

From now on when I trailer horses from pasture to pasture in the cattle trailer, I just throw the lead over their neck, and let them get comfortable in the trailer. They usually line up slanted, headfirst.  So far, this has worked fine for me.

Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-11 2:47 PM (#29147 - in reply to #29115)

Did the horse choke because he was tied and couldn't get back up, or was the lead rope wrapped around its neck? Sorry to be so blunt, but I just bought a stock type trailer and am trying to decide whether to tie or not. I also have one of those trailer ties that has the velcro release. I figured I could use that to tie, but still would want a lead rope on the horse in case of emergency. So what do I do with the lead rope to keep the horse from getting tangles in that?
thorkyl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-11 2:55 PM (#29149 - in reply to #29115)

every horse is different

I have one that will only load backwards and rides backwards.

I use the rope shipping halters.
All I do is wrap, not tie, the lead around the post or feed it through the ring.

I wrecked out a 2 horse once and the trailer wound up on its side. If either horse had been tied they would have had too be put down. but they where able to walk, or limp, away from it. By the time we got to them they where both standing on the side walls of the trailer and where alive.

As for stock trailers I box stall them again just wraping the rope around the post a couple of times
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 3:28 PM (#29152 - in reply to #29115)

Expert

I have a different experiance. 

A friend was trailering a new horse alone in a 2 horse straight load BP.  Horse was NOT tied.  The horse got his head wedged between the roof of the trailer and the top of the divider.  When he lost his footing, the divider choked him to death.  We surmise the horse turned his head over the divider, then when he tried to face forward, the sloped divider edge tracked his head to the roof ( this isn't a "I heard of" story.  I personally got him out of the trailer.  The owners were too upset)

So ... I always tie my horses in my slant load with dividers.  I use a 18" trailer tie with a panic snap to the trailer.  I attach the trailer tie to the upper ring of the halter so he can get his head down, but not get it back enough to get into trouble with his buddy or the divider

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-08-11 7:05 PM (#29170 - in reply to #29115)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, those are the ties.  I also use the 'bungee' cord with a bull snap at one end and a quick snap at the other, they stay in the trailer 24/7.   If they panic - they CAN break the bungee. 
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-12 5:49 PM (#29178 - in reply to #29170)

Extreme Veteran

Tying high is safer for a horse (as long as they have good footing).  However, I don't like to tie horses up with a lead line in the trailer.  I tie with bungees instead.  I like bungees because they have some give in them.  But that is in a slant load.  To prevent a pull back situation, I only attach the bungee when they are secured in their slant stall.  I release the bungee and switch to a lead before I open the trailer to unload.  If they do pull back in a panic or emergency situation that is what the panic snaps are for. 

Edited by RichB 2005-08-12 5:52 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)