'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
01 F250 stalling after hard stop/in reverse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-11 2:14 PM
2 replies, 2717 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lopin Along
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-08-10 9:04 PM (#29111)
Subject: 01 F250 stalling after hard stop/in reverse

New User

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 F250 V8 5.4L Lariat that I purchased 1yr ago. Has about 60,000 miles on it. In April I took it to a Ford dealer (not who I bought it from) and they fixed a door latch, performed oil change and flushed/replaced the transmission fluid. Ok, I'm not a car person but I believe that's what they said they did. The day I picked it up, I drove about 15 miles before parking the truck. I decided to back it in and when I shifted to reverse, the RPM's dropped and it stalled. Instead of taking it back next day, I let it go. The truck is my secondary veh and is only driven occasionally. Over the next several months, the truck has stalled 3 more times when putting it into reverse and also stalled 2 times when I had to stop hard due to traffic/red light. If you shift slowly from drive to neutral, give the RPM's a chance to come back up and then shift into reverse it's fine and if you know you are going to have to stop and do it slowly it's fine.

Finally got the truck back in and they hooked up some computer and tried to recreate the problem and found nothing wrong. Called me told me they couldn't find anything and I asked they keep it and try driving it again. I am not going to use this truck to haul with if they can't fix it. Today he calls said they have now recreated the problem 2x's but don't know whats causing it but they THINK it might be transmission. But they can't tell anything w/out taking transmission apart...about $500. Then they can figure out IF IT IS the transmission and see if extended warranty will cover. If not of course I'm paying the bill and if it's NOT the transmission then I have to pay another $500 to put the truck back together w/no answers. If I have to pay the $1000, I have to pay it, but I have read several posts on various sites about Ford f250/350's stalling while driving and it seems with so many posts about stalling trucks how can the dealer not have a clue what the problem is or how to fix it?

So, I'm just trying to find out of anyone had any similar problems and had any success in finding out what the problem was....this dealer is clueless at this point and I'm looking at $1000 on nothing more than someone 'thinks' it might be transmission.

I did post this on another forum and a guy responded saying given the circumstances he believes it is the tranny. Said that flushing it at 60,000 miles (I have no clue if previous owner had it done prior) was bad if it hadn't been done as regular upkeep and so it's ruined/shifted seals but didn't say what that means as far as getting truck fixed....is it a matter of changing seals or a new transmission?

Have also checked w/a few local people who suggested NOT going to the dealer that has my truck....nice to know now...so if I pick it up would you find another Ford dealer or take it to a transmission place?  Also the dealer keeps saying if they get it apart and find the problem was caused by work they performed they'd 'help me out getting it fixed' but I have no way to prove what caused it so I think I'm out of luck on that since they can just deny it....

Thanks for any suggestions! Please help me!!! LOL After about a year of looking I just found the trailer I want and got an estimate yesterday and now I don't have a truck to pull the dang thing! Roll Eyes

Tami

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-08-11 1:27 PM (#29143 - in reply to #29111)
Subject: RE: 01 F250 stalling after hard stop/in reverse

Expert

Did they cange the fuel filter?  Maybe a clogged filter is causing it to stall at low rpms.  If they say it's the transmission it wouldn't hurt to take it to a transmission shop for a second opinion.
thorkyl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-11 2:14 PM (#29145 - in reply to #29111)
Subject: RE: 01 F250 stalling after hard stop/in reverse

Three things Ford trucks are known for

1) - There is a sensor in the transmission that thinks that there is an RPM red line so it shuts the truck down.

2) - There is a different sensor in the transmission that is a overheat sensor

3) - the EFSR (Emergency Fuel Shutdown Relay) in the gas tank. looks for shock (e.g. car crash) and shuts down the engine.

Find a good (non-dealer) mech. (I use a local race car builder) and have him check it out. Take it to him with a full tank of gas and tell him to use the truck for a week and see if he can make it happen. (dealers will not drive it that much)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)