'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
NEW Used Trailer owner -- exterior care info needed

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-12 9:22 PM
7 replies, 3471 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

prettypaso
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-10 7:27 PM (#29104)
Subject: NEW Used Trailer owner -- exterior care info needed

I live in Denver, and just bought a 2000 WW 2 hrs with dressing room. The exterior is dark grey with white pin striping. Since I've always borrowed trailers before, I'd like to know what I should do to get & keep this trailer in great shape on the exterior. It has a little rust now, and a screen is missing from the rear slider window. Any suggestions as to how to care for, and what to do as a plan, would be greatly appreciated. And, if you have any tips for the interior care that would be great, too. Thanks in advance!  Lynne    

Edited by prettypaso 2005-08-10 7:30 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 7:15 AM (#29120 - in reply to #29104)
Subject: RE: NEW Used Trailer owner -- exterior care info needed

Expert

The best exterior preservative is a shelter.  Next best thing, is a wax job.  The fabric covers are a pain to put on and take off.  AND covers can flap in the wind and wear your paint off.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 8:56 AM (#29124 - in reply to #29104)

Extreme Veteran

Keep the coupler/hitch greased. Occasionally W-D40 the hinges on the doors. If your trailer is open to the weather(screen missing from the window,keep the window shut), then watch for bees nests inside the trailer. Keep the floor of the horse area cleaned out. Manure and urine can do wonders to a floor. Yes, putting it under some shelter would be ideal, but not always feasible for some. Keeping the tires covered is another thought and helps to prolong the life of them.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 10:48 AM (#29132 - in reply to #29104)

Expert

Ditto the shelter- keep it out of the weather and it will look good longer than if its outside.We have farm equipment and you can tell which pieces have been stored inside vs the stuff we leave outside( some of it is too big to fit in the machine shed) It may not be fesible but I'd make the effort to do so.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-11 11:44 AM (#29134 - in reply to #29104)

Expert

Use a graphite powder or a white lithum grease in place of WD-40. WD-40 is a solvent. It removes or breaks down grease & oil. Yes it'll stop the squeek, But you will have to use it more often than if you used other products.

It's great for breaking loose rusted nuts or cleaning electrical connections. And I've sprayed my share of wasp & hornets nests with it.
prettypaso
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-12 4:11 PM (#29176 - in reply to #29104)

THANKYOU so much for the great info. I have to store it outside right now, but what would you recommend for the best way to wash & wax? Drive up car wash with the brush, and a good wax of some kind? Anything anyone would suggest for the rust spots, that do drip rust lines at the manger doors? Also, is it ok to remove the floor mats every 6 months? And, are shavings the best way to go as far as usage? Looking forward to your info!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-12 7:01 PM (#29180 - in reply to #29104)

Expert

I take my trailer to the car wash and give it a washing- just don't wash the horse are if there is alot of straw,sawdust and manure. Clean that out before you go. You can give it a good waxing with a automotive type wax- I don't know if the car wash type wax is as good or not. I like to use shavings on the inside but straw will work ok too. My horse rarely urinate in the trailer but it does give the floor some cushing. Its a good idea to remove the mats and clean the floor periodically- some people do this every3 -6 months like clock work( or after every use)- I do it in the fall when I am ready lay her up for the winter. Otherwise the old shavings get swept out and fresh bedding added. But I am not anal about this- sometimes the horses get hauled repeatly before I sweep out the old stuff just because its not that dirty yet and it just didn't get done...may make me a very bad person but I can live with it. Mostly keeping a trailer is just common sense- like your car, it needs an occasional wash and wax, vaccuming, and freshening. Like your car, it helps to store it inside. But since you don't use it everyday, like a car, you'd have really be a total slob over a period of time to really mess it up.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-12 9:22 PM (#29182 - in reply to #29104)

Extreme Veteran

Sure the wash and go place in town is good, just start saving your quarters. Otherwise just do it at home with the hose, bucket of auto wash and a  good scrubber. I have used the Turtle Wax spray on wax. Easy to use, takes very little time and seems to leave a nice finish on the trailer.

I use shavings or sawdust in my trailer. Like the infamous Farmbabe mentioned, helps to soak up urine and leaves a good cush on the floor for the horses. Otherwise if your horses are pissers in the trailers, you'll have quite a mess once you open that back door, so I'm for shavings/sawdust.

As far as the rust problem, you can sand down the rusty spots with some sandpaper I guess and purchase some of that Rustoleum(sp?) spray paint for touch ups. But as long as the rust isn't affecting the frame or floor or roof of the trailer, don't get too worried.

Have fun!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)