'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Gas Usage

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-05 11:15 AM
22 replies, 8271 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hidden
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-10 1:51 PM (#29085)
Subject: Gas Usage

I'm in the market for my first trailer and have been talking about it with lots of folks.  My sister-in-law knows nothing about horses.. but cast her vote for a Brenderup (if I can find one) because she thinks that gas prices will continue to climb and that will really offset the price difference.  Anyone with some feel for how much the trailer weight affects the gas usage?  Would it be something to factor in my thinking (given I'm pulling a horse in a trailer means I would use lots more gas than usual).
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-10 2:07 PM (#29086 - in reply to #29085)
Subject: RE: Gas Usage

Veteran

I cringe when I fill up at the gas pump. However, since I don't pull cross country the fuel cost directly related to the times I pull my trailer pales in comparison to other expenses required to own a hay burner. Start looking at trailers, tow vehicles, barns, land, vet bills, farrier bills, show entry fees, tack, insurance, oh and the horse and the difference in fuel mileage between one trailer versus the others becomes small.

Now that I thought about all of those items -- I feel depressed...

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-08-10 2:17 PM (#29088 - in reply to #29085)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with barry! Now that he made me think about all of those items -- I also feel depressed!  Weight doesn't bother my mileage as much as the front airflow of the trailer does. My flatbed with loaded with hay(10,000lbs) gets the same mileage as my loaded 3H gooseneck(7,500 lbs).A lot of pushing wind is going on!   

Edited by xyzer 2005-08-10 2:20 PM
hidden
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-10 2:19 PM (#29089 - in reply to #29085)

Well of course, my early retirement is completely invested in this.. however, I save where it makes sense and what she said makes sense.. when the gas costs more than the show entries do.. that's what I worry about.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-10 3:10 PM (#29092 - in reply to #29085)

Expert

There is no doubt that hauling a horse trailer will burn prodigious amounts of fuel.  Gas or diesel... It takes lots of energy to move lots of mass.  The Brenderup may allow the use of a smaller vehicle.  But after considering the high cost of the Brenderup, I figured I could do better with a conventional rig.  It's like gas vs diesel.  In my application, the gas engine was a better choice money wise than the diesel option.

Focus on the safe travel aspects of horse trailering.  What is it worth to you to get there safely.  10 bucks?  $50   Like Barry said .. in the overall picture of owning and enjoying horses  fuel costs pinch but shouldn't stop anyone.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-10 6:46 PM (#29103 - in reply to #29085)

Expert

Here is a set of MPG numbers to ponder;
20.00, 16.67, 14.29, 12.5, 11.11, 10.00
Of course you would PREFER the higher ones, but here is the reason I chose them; They represent 5,6,7,8,9 and 10 gallons of fuel per hundred miles, so the difference between any two of them represents another gallon for a 100 mile trip {currently about $2.37 for gas, 2.47 for diesel around here}

So, if you think 12.5 is UGLY and 14.29 is a whole lot better, just remember that the difference is a couple of bux per hundred miles. { 8 vs 7 gallons}. Non trivial if you use it as a daily driver and/or haul a lot, but as already noted quite small on the scale of other equine expenses.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 1:05 PM (#29141 - in reply to #29085)

Expert

I have a 2004 F150 that I get 14 mpg in my commuting (44 miles EACH way - about half and half 35 & 55 mph)

When I hook up to my steel 3H GN (5200 pounds empty) and 1 horse (7200 pounds with camping, horse, feed, water), my mileage drops to 11 mpg.

Hope this helps.

thorkyl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-11 2:47 PM (#29148 - in reply to #29085)

This might help place it in scope:

I have two trailers and am looking to replace one.

I use a 1/2 ton Dodge gas to pull with.

I pull two horses From Houston to Dallas at 60 mph in the 2 horse
or I pull 4 horses in the 20' goose neck.

Drop the truck out of overdrive and guess what
I get the same milage as if I had 500 punds of hay in the bed.

Milage is more from the resistance not the weight.
If you have a slant nosed trailer or a spoiler you will get about 10% better milage than a flat nosed trailer.

On a 600 mile trip with both of my trailers I average about 12 MPG (Houston is flat)

I would look at other ways to save fuel.
here are a few

Air spoiler on the roof of the truck - Big Help

Replace the tailgate with a cargo net - Big Help

Get a trailer that is smooth - no protrusions
   Move its spare tire to the bed of the truck or the rear gate

Tune your truck befor you haul - Major help

Here is one that may feel strange
   Buy mid grade or better fuel
       I get about 10% increase in MPG when towing using Mid Grade
       Truck runs better, cooler, more power.
       Still the cost of the trips is the same but less strain on the truck

55 - 62 Keep the speed down.
       We did a test on my neighbors truck one weekend for the local high school.
       We ran the truck with 4,000 pounds on a flat bed at 70 mph for 500 miles
       We then did the return trip at 50 MPH.
       Results travel time 22 minutes longer at 50 MPH (more fuel stops
       Fuel cost 60% savings at 50 MPH

Recap
Lessen the drag
make the wind go around the trailer not hit it
keep the tow vehicle in tune
keep the speed down

You do this and you should be able to save some good money
If not what's $20.00 on a 400 mile trip

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-11 3:20 PM (#29151 - in reply to #29085)

Extreme Veteran

'm with hospuller on this - the bigger advabtage/gas savings with a Brenderup would be the option of a smaller tow vehicle.

Unless you are hauling every day - or long hauls every week (which I doubt if this is your first trailer) I don't think it's worth it. Reg's numbers say it all - minimal cost difference with seemingly large milage differences and with the extra cost of a Brender up (they are one of the most expensive small BP I've seen) Factor in Intrest (even if you buy it outright you could have make interest on the extra money the BU costs) I don't think your payback will be very good. I would suggest buying an aluminum or alum skin to protect your resale or look for a good used deal.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 3:36 PM (#29153 - in reply to #29151)

Expert

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-08-11 2:20 PM

'm with hospuller on this - the bigger advabtage/gas savings with a Brenderup would be the option of a smaller tow vehicle.

Unless you are hauling every day - or long hauls every week (which I doubt if this is your first trailer) I don't think it's worth it. Reg's numbers say it all - minimal cost difference with seemingly large milage differences and with the extra cost of a Brender up (they are one of the most expensive small BP I've seen) Factor in Intrest (even if you buy it outright you could have make interest on the extra money the BU costs) I don't think your payback will be very good. I would suggest buying an aluminum or alum skin to protect your resale or look for a good used deal.

Thanks .. you've summed the discussion points very well.

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-11 6:19 PM (#29169 - in reply to #29153)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hosspuller on 2005-08-11 4:36 PM

Thanks .. you've summed the discussion points very well.

LOL.. would help if I could spell though!!! 

PJ11777
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-16 8:31 AM (#29260 - in reply to #29085)

New User

As a very occasional horse-hauler who has owned a Brenderup, I can say from my own experience that the difference isn't what your mileage is when pulling the trailer, it's your mileage when you aren't.  My ex- and I bought a Brenderup and used it very satisfactorily with her 6 cylinder Ranger to pull 1 horse in the Texas hill country.  The point of the B'up is that you can do use a Ranger, 4Runner, Highlander, or even a 6 cyl. Camry.  You don't need an F150, Hummer, or larger diesel.  It's a weekend horse-person thing, though.  If you're hauling large horses, lots of horses, or hauling them lots, you'll need more serious horsepower (so to speak).  But if you're only going to take the horse out occasionally -- especially locally (like weekend shows or weeknight barrel races) and don't want to drive a big truck the rest of the time, the Brenderup gives you that option.  Now, personally, I think the B'up has a lot to recommend it from the horse's perspective, too, but this thread's about mileage.  Hope that helps.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-20 7:13 AM (#29423 - in reply to #29085)

Expert

I've been running an economy experiment for about 3 weeks now.
If I drive just fast enough to keep up with traffic and stay maybe only 3 or 4 above the speed limits, don't accellerate any faster than the loaded 18 wheelers I can get 20.2 without a trailer, 15.1 with the bumper pull trailer. These numbers include hooking up, parking, idling, etc. and each is the running average, not a freak peak.
How much time this is costing me isn't clear, though I do seem to see the same vehicles again that whizzed past me 10 minutes earlier. I guess we all travel at the speed of the slowest vehicle in our lane anyway (-:

1 ton Chev duramax, Allison 5 speed auto, about 20% highway, the rest rural/suburban, this is on SUMMER diesel blend.
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-29 5:03 PM (#29725 - in reply to #29085)
Subject: RE: Gas Usage BRENDERUP

Regular

I really don't understand the logic of only being able to use the Brenderup for short trips.  Last year and this year I traveled from California to Colorado and back.  Three days each way and my horse was fine.  I'm tankful the Brenderup is available in the US.  Brenderups are used in Europe since trucks are not available.  If they were so dangerous and unsafe Eupopeans would be copying us on our trailer design and desire to use large vehichels to haul, regardless of gas prices.  Those of us that have Brenderups are not sacraficing the safety of our horses to save on gas $$$$$.
woodhouse
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-30 1:13 PM (#29774 - in reply to #29085)

New User

Leslie,

What did you pull your Brenderup with? I am trying to find out what people's experiences have been with different tow vehicles, especially with long term maintenance and wear and tear issues. I'm particularly interested in the Volvo station wagons, as that's what I see most people using in Germany. (Well, to be honest, the Mercedes wagon seems to be the primo horsemobile over there ... but that's waaaay out of my budget!)

Thanks!
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-30 1:55 PM (#29779 - in reply to #29774)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by woodhouse on 2005-08-30 2:13 PM

Leslie, What did you pull your Brenderup with? I am trying to find out what people's experiences have been with different tow vehicles, especially with long term maintenance and wear and tear issues. I'm particularly interested in the Volvo station wagons, as that's what I see most people using in Germany. (Well, to be honest, the Mercedes wagon seems to be the primo horsemobile over there ... but that's waaaay out of my budget!) Thanks!

Actually when we were in Britain in July I was surprised to all SUV's and small trucks pulling horse trailers. I'm sure people do it with cars, but in 2 weeks of being all over I only saw SUV's and trucks. Now these were smaller though, like something about the size of a Jeep TJ and trucks similar to Rangers or S10's

There were a lot of cars pulling "caravans" (campers) though.... and one MG (yes the small one!) pull a caravan that had to be 12 feet long...... I think that was a little over it's limits! - just a little

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-30 5:17 PM (#29798 - in reply to #29085)

Expert

I'm not DOWN on B-Ups, but I had a 1/2 hour conversation last night with a woman who had got my number from somewhere/someone saying how her horse would load OK but scramble as soon as the trailer moved a few feet. She'd gone a bit farther, but the scrambling and kicking got worse and worse, the horse fell down and was sweating profusely when she got out to check it. Basically she went back to wherever she'd picked her up at and unloaded her. Oh, and (fortunately) the halter had broken.
Somewhere in that 1/2 hour she asked me if I thought it might be the trailer itself that was causing the problem, right after the subject of tranqs. I asked what kind it was, expecting her to say B/P, GN, number of horse capacity, slant/straight, whatever, but she just said "Brender-Up".

She seems to believe the horse feels claustrophobic in there, from her description I think I agree, in fact I'm guessing the horse is either in panic or close to it. I'll probably get the chance to give it a test ride around the block sometime next week, if I'm not before a Judge for assault on whoever gave out my number - If ever I find out.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-31 6:40 AM (#29813 - in reply to #29085)

Extreme Veteran

That issue can happen with any trailer though. Near the end my horses were not keen on my small 1977 2H.... I think it was mostly because they couldn't see where they were going - with only one plexi window in the front and bus windows at the rear, they could see back (the upper doors were usually open) but nowhere else. All would baulk when going on, but would still get on the trailer. With the new 3H my two hop on without any hesitation at all, while my friends horse (always travels with us) is getting better - but he's a horse that takes a while to trust on any issue.

It seems to me that lightness/brightness and a view out are the biggest issues for horses that are claustrophobic. It doesn't really seem to have as must to do with actual space.

I have a friend whose horse will only get on a stock trailer. To get her on anything else you have to blindfold her and then she shakes the whole way (they have video in the trailer for this reason). The last time they moved her to their new farm she almost took out the trailer - broke the divider and everything - she was on there alone - and had tons of space (the trailer is a largish 2H BP) - I think they even had her a little tranq'd - to take the edge off. They tried to have her shipped by a guy with a large, but enclosed 4H slant.... no-way - they don't trailer her anywhere anymore - afraid she'll hurt herself. Not even sure if she'll get on a stock anymore now - too much risk, and she's only a trail horse anyway - so they just ride from home.

As far as trailers go - no matter what brand/size/type you have you can always find a horse that will not like it.

verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-31 3:32 PM (#29835 - in reply to #29774)

Regular

I pulled my trailer with a Ford F150. I go everywhere with two large horses. No problems pulling at all. I have seen them pulled with Explorers and other vehicles. The Brenderup dealer, Pat Chowning, usually pulls his with a Volvo and I believe he has a VW now. You should call him, he'll give you the straight scoop. Chowning Trailer Sales - PO Box 33, CA 93432, Tel: 877-550-8899 If you have any other questions on the trailer let me know. I've owned one for years.

Leslie
olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-09-04 12:22 PM (#29952 - in reply to #29085)

Regular

I have a friend who bought a single horse Brenderup(she hauls her minis and cart in it!)It is VERY light inside--the horse who "came unglued" riding in one may be adverse to being where it can't SEE the out-of-doors, because there is AMPLE room, and LOTS of light,inside the Brenderup. Another factor,it seems to me, could be the Brenderup's construction-my guess is that those composition walls and roof just  "feel" different to the horse inside....

When she was living alone, she could roll the Brenderup back into the close space between her garage and the one of the townhome next door... the trailers DO have their benefits! If money were no object, and I just had a mini or two or three, and a two wheeled cart to take, I would consider one.

Margo

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-04 8:00 PM (#29957 - in reply to #29813)

Expert

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-08-31 6:40 AM

That issue can happen with any trailer though. Near the end my horses were not keen on my small 1977 2H.... I think it was mostly because they couldn't see where they were going - with only one plexi window in the front and bus windows at the rear, they could see back (the upper doors were usually open) but nowhere else. All would baulk when going on, but would still get on the trailer. With the new 3H my two hop on without any hesitation at all, while my friends horse (always travels with us) is getting better - but he's a horse that takes a while to trust on any issue.

It seems to me that lightness/brightness and a view out are the biggest issues for horses that are claustrophobic. It doesn't really seem to have as must to do with actual space.

I have a friend whose horse will only get on a stock trailer. To get her on anything else you have to blindfold her and then she shakes the whole way (they have video in the trailer for this reason). The last time they moved her to their new farm she almost took out the trailer - broke the divider and everything - she was on there alone - and had tons of space (the trailer is a largish 2H BP) - I think they even had her a little tranq'd - to take the edge off. They tried to have her shipped by a guy with a large, but enclosed 4H slant.... no-way - they don't trailer her anywhere anymore - afraid she'll hurt herself. Not even sure if she'll get on a stock anymore now - too much risk, and she's only a trail horse anyway - so they just ride from home.

As far as trailers go - no matter what brand/size/type you have you can always find a horse that will not like it.

Yes, the chances of that happening with any particular horse just INCREASE the smaller (physical and perceived) the trailer is.
A center load 4, 5 or 6 horse head to head trailer is almost like a small center aisle barn (-: With the rear ramp & top doors and the opposite ramp & top door open it looks to a horse going in on a side ramp that there are two potential walk through exits, though there had better be a chest level chain across both. Once (s)he backs into a rear facing stall others will usually follow a little more willingly. Leaving the top doors all pinned back, but the ramps up, still gives a very open feeling when rolling - with no possibility of horse heads hanging out - BTW, I saw that on I-495 yesterday, the clown passed me like I was standing still, the horse was out to --- it SEEMED like the withers, but it couldn't have been.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-09-05 10:21 AM (#29962 - in reply to #29957)

Expert

I've never seen one of theose head to head trailers.  Who makes them, I'd like to gee a picture of one.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-05 11:15 AM (#29965 - in reply to #29962)

Expert

Originally written by Terri on 2005-09-05 10:21 AM

I've never seen one of theose head to head trailers. Who makes them, I'd like to gee a picture of one.

Just about all the name brands have them.
The biggest thing AGAINST them seems to be the opinion that they're not "space efficient", i.e. they take a lot of floor length per horse.
I *_LIKE_* the fact that the horses have a lot of space each and I'm willing to haul around a trailer that is 30ft on the floor - so EASY to back up (-:
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)