'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Why Sundowner LQ????

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-20 10:36 PM
37 replies, 9105 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JakeB
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-08 11:31 AM (#28968)
Subject: Why Sundowner LQ????

My wife and I just sold our first LQ last week to my inlaws and are currently looking for a bigger LQ trailer.  We had a 03 Silver Star Starlite with a 6' LQ weekend package.  WE want a 10' SW LQ trailer but considering as small as 8' as being the minimum.  We went and looked at a Sundowner 8010 Sunrise which is the basic Sundowner LQ trailer with a basic LQ package.  No awning, no radio, and interior only comes with one color, no color options available.  Its a nice package but I've seen ALOT nicer LQ packages for ALOT less money on other brands of trailers.  I understand Sundowner has some nice features on their trailers, but how can they justify their trailers being between $8-12K more than other major brands with more LQ features.  We travel down to Big South Fork area in Jamestown, Tennessee frequently during the year and down there its almost like a status symbol!!!  We have found out that if you don't have a Sundowner that your looked down upon!!!  Several times we have been camping in that area and stayed a few places and every time we mentioned we had a Silver Star, people treated us differently!!!!!!!  So I'm just trying to find out what makes Sundowner so much better than everyone else's trailer???  Any info/comments would be greatly appreciated!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 12:15 PM (#28971 - in reply to #28968)
Subject: RE: Why Sundowner LQ????

Extreme Veteran

To me, I like Sundowners but I'm not into the "status" thing. I buy what is comfortable for my horses, me and my wife within our budget. If some one doesn't like us for what trailer brand we have, then the hell with them. They are not worth hanging around any way.

Just my .02ยข

Safe Riding,
Todd

Edited by maccwall 2005-08-08 7:06 PM
dustnem
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-08 2:25 PM (#28976 - in reply to #28968)

Sundowner has done a good job marketing, making people believe that they are top of the line and that it is a status symbol to own one. I know because I fell prey to that. That high price you pay is not for a quality trailer, but more to finance their propaganda techniques. Look past the name on the nose and more closely at the meat the trailer and you will find much better built trailers with more features for less money ie: 4 Star, Featherlite, etc... 

Edited by dustnem 2005-08-08 2:27 PM
HOGMAN
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 6:19 PM (#28992 - in reply to #28968)

Has to be a status thing.  Sundowner is OVER PRICED.  And, there are a number of trailers better built.  Having said that, after two failed attempts to buy custom built LQ trailers, we bought a used sundowner.  The reason being that it was two years old, had been very well maintained and the original owner took the BIG HIT on the price. I would suggest buying what you like, what you feel is the best value and tell the snobs to take a hike.  Good Luck. 
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 7:11 PM (#28993 - in reply to #28968)

Expert

there are "brand names" in every game, discipline and walk of life that you will simply pay more for the "honor" of owning.........in my observation sundowner is one of them.
CrazyAgain
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 8:31 PM (#29000 - in reply to #28968)

Jake, I bought the small Sundowner LQ just this last spring. I looked at trailers in the lower price range (just happens to be my price range) and couldn't find any other trailer with as many nice features as the Sundowner. I honestly looked for 3 years before I found something that made me want to buy. I read all the discouraging words about Sundowner on here and then I read the review of my little LQ on here.

There are other trailers that may be built different and if I had an extra $10,000 my decision might have been diferent. I don't believe I paid for the Sundowner name. I looked at all the brands and many different LQs and decided the Sundowner was the best value for me. It was what I wanted.

I have friends and acquaintances that have other brands of trailers and most of them had an issue or two with their trailer. I talked to as many people as I could before I made my decision.

My advice - get what you want in a trailer and LQ and pick a dealer that you like and that has a good reputation. Be smart about what prices they are getting around the country and use that to your advantage (this site is a HUGE help for that). And enjoy whatever you decide.

Happy trails!!!
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-08 8:44 PM (#29003 - in reply to #28992)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by HOGMAN on 2005-08-08 7:19 PM

Has to be a status thing.  Sundowner is OVER PRICED.  And, there are a number of trailers better built.  Having said that, after two failed attempts to buy custom built LQ trailers, we bought a used sundowner.  The reason being that it was two years old, had been very well maintained and the original owner took the BIG HIT on the price. I would suggest buying what you like, what you feel is the best value and tell the snobs to take a hike.  Good Luck. 

If you feel that there "are a number of trailers better built" then why did you buy a Sundowner? Do you think your Sundowner is less built than the other brands?

The trailer market is very competitive and the advertising that Sundowner does speaks for itself.

Maybe it is a status thing to own one, maybe it isn't. I personally think that is silly to say that to own a Sundowner you are suddenly a member of the status quo. Gimme a break people. Are people just jealous of those who can buy one and not have that so-called "status"?  

I cannot believe how many times a Sundowner topic has been brought up on this forum only to be bashed and brought down. Who are the snobs here? Why such the heat towards Sundowner?

If they were such a crap trailer then why are so many people buying them and why do I see so many of them going down the highway?

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 9:00 PM (#29006 - in reply to #29003)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by MIfarmbabe on 2005-08-08 9:44 PM

The trailer market is very competitive and the advertising that Sundowner does speaks for itself.

Not a Sundowner basher here (though I did buy a different brand)  But what exactly does Sundaowner's marketing say for it? Interested to know your point of view.

IMO Sundowners marketing only speaks to how much they spend on it. Anyone can buy an ad... it takes a good company to get good word of mouth advertising - which is how I found out the brand I bought even existed.

From all the "bashing" and good I've seen here about Sundowner it seems they do have a good product (every brand/product is going to have lemons no matter what), but it seems to me that Sundowner has turned off the "bashers" with it's service - or lack there of, it some circumstances. And the PO'd customer always yells loudest.

As for the "Status Quo"... Haven't noticed it around here (Toronto area), or on the east coast (Canada)... more Exiss in this area - speaks to the large dealer, and lots of Featherlite's both here and on the east. But no real status symbol really. But hey - if Sundowner can create that perception through marketing and/or loyal fans... good for them - it's a good way to sell trailers. 

Edited by MBRA518 2005-08-08 9:03 PM
smoothride
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-08-08 9:39 PM (#29007 - in reply to #28968)

Regular

We went to Congress last year looking for a LQ trailer. We were able to see basically all the brands that we were interested in. Due to the trip, here is our opinion of why you pay more for a Sundowner, a corporate jet, marketing etc. This doesn't have anything to do with the trailers, they are excellent trailers with wonderful interiors. We feel we didn't need to pay for all of the frills so we chose another brand. We go to Southfork and Eastfork all the time and do not feel that we have been looked down on. We are very proud of our trailer. It wasn't cheap by any means but, we do feel that we got more trailer for the money.
Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 11:01 PM (#29010 - in reply to #28968)

Regular

Who are you hanging with in TN???  Sundowner's not bad, but the other posters are right, their marketing went into high gear about five years ago or so.  Listen to what comes up regularly on this site as a quality trailer, 4-star, Elite, Jamco, etc.  If your TN friends are truly know a good trailer, then they'll recognize quality.  If they're just into labels, well then, you'll get the last laugh.  Use your extra $10,000 and take a few extra trips to Shawnee, Birdsong, or Golden Hills.  Happy Trails!

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 1:05 AM (#29012 - in reply to #28968)

Veteran

IMO you are paying for the name. And that includes the advertising others have mentioned on here. I am not bashing them, I have owned one and loved it. It was a basic stock w/o LQ and was a 1995. When I began looking late last year for a new trailer with LQ's I could not beleive it. I started with Sundowner sunrise and could not believe how little you got for the price compared to some of the others. I knew I wanted a sink in my bathroom and was told at congress by a reg. manager that I would have to get a 10ft. sw. to get that.(sundowner) I trail ride and camp, do the every once in awhile show and don't really need or want leather on my sofa. Most of them had way to much stuff that I didn't want and not nearly enough of what I wanted. If I'm going to fork over that kind of $$$$, I'm going to get what I want. Just keep looking, there are brands that will build you what you want. I got a 12ft sw 3h, 8ft wide, horse area insulated and lined around 39,000. I could have gotten something for less, but I like how the trailer is built and the follow up on service I get from my dealer. I would have spent 10,000 more if I had went with Sundowner close to that size with comparable options,(I checked). If you are interested in more info, look on the post "American Spirit" on this forum. I love my trailer and have not found anything I would change on it. I have people with other brands looking at it and really liking it too. Good luck trailer hunting.
HOGMAN
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-08-09 8:01 AM (#29014 - in reply to #29003)

Mifarmbabe. Never said my sundowner was poorly built, just that IMO there are better built trailers out there. As I said, I ended up with the sundowner because it was the best value I could find at the time. That's after 3 years of looking and two failed attempts to buy a custom built trailer of other brands. Neither failure was the fault of the trailer mfg. but the problem of dealers who believed they knew everything, that price shouldn't be a consideration, and that the customer is stupid. As for status symbols, don't get me started on that subject, there are a number of them in the horsey set.
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 9:33 AM (#29016 - in reply to #28968)

Regular

Well here's my $.02. Sundowner trailers don't impress me in the least. Secondly, Yeah what he said the hell with them. Buy the trailer you can afford. Having and trailering your horses is not and should not be about how much money one has. It's not a prestigious thing. For me and my family it's a way of life. No brand of trailer will ever change that.

coleS
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 10:48 AM (#29022 - in reply to #29014)

If you believe there is a better built trailer Id like to know what it is. Ive toured the manufacturing plant and now own a Sundowner. Ive pulled a Travalong, CM, Exiss, and a 4 Star, all of them fell apart after some real use. Hinges broke, welds craked, doors got torqued and wouldnt close right and many other things and noone stepped up to warranty any of it. Sundowners will take any amount of abuse.Eveyone buys a trailer and then has to baby it around, and take special care of it, not a Sundowner, you can slam everything on it that can be slammed and drive it thousands of miles ad they are going to work, and if something does brake take it to any Sundowner Dealer and it will be warrantied and fixed try that with an Exiss. Bottom line is good things arent cheap and cheap things arent good. Its like trying to say youd rather have a honda than a Lexus, its just an ignorant, stupid statement, sure if all your doing is price shopping then ya buy a cheap dressed up piece. Try to sell that thing after some good use and a few years. Im just tired of hearing a bunch of uneducated, bigmouthed, bashes on a trailer that other companies cant touch in quality and overall function. The suncoat is covering up steel? come on, whoever said that probably has a steel framed trailer and anyone that has investigated that issue would know that sometimes the aluminum frame can weigh in heavier than a steel frame trailer. Just investigate and go to a SundownerSuperstore and talk to a rep who knows what their talking about, theyll tell you the truth they dont care if your dumb enough to buy a different trailer or if you jus t cant afford it , they arent pushy.Know what your talking about before you talk about it, that is good advise in any conversation about anything. No it alls always eat their words.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-09 11:09 AM (#29024 - in reply to #28968)

Expert

Blah Blah blah....

Ok if you like Sundowners, fine.Super. Neato. Whatever. Would I buy one? Only if it had the features I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. So big deal, you toured a manufacturing plant. Big whoop. So a Sundowner rep told you they are the best in the land- big whoop. Thats what they get paid to do. the bottom line- you buy the rig that suits your needs within your ability to pay for it. If you have your heart set on a Sundowner, have at it. if you want something else, bully for you. Some people are so blinded by a name, so right they are the smartest in the world, they actually sound lame.
coleS
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 11:34 AM (#29029 - in reply to #28968)

Edited by Mr. Trailer ...

If you want to make your point, please make it like an adult. Calling another member smartass just won't be tolerated. K?

Thank you.

kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 12:24 PM (#29031 - in reply to #28968)

On my  2004 Exiss, my trailer jack failed  and a brake coupler failed. Neither of these items were assembled by Exiss-they just stuck them on the frame- but they damn sure covered it as a warranty issue, not a dime out of my pocket on either item.

Snobbery exists everywhere. Somewhere out there is a guy in a 1979 Dodge Dart looking down his nose at a guy in a 1980 Neon. So be it.

I don't make fun of my friends who have 'less' trailer than me, they are my FRIENDS- I'm happy to have them around to ride with me. Friends don't make fun of friends. Jerks with nasty attitudes-do.

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-09 2:19 PM (#29037 - in reply to #29022)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by coleS on 2005-08-09 11:48 AM

Bottom line is good things arent cheap and cheap things arent good. Its like trying to say youd rather have a honda than a Lexus, its just an ignorant, stupid statement, sure if all your doing is price shopping then ya buy a cheap dressed up piece. Try to sell that thing after some good use and a few years.

... Maybe I would... I'd rather have my 92 Chevy than a new one... sure it's price related, but more "value" related. I don't want to pay more for bells and whistles I don't need/want. I think it's a pretty "stupid" statement to assume everyone wants/should buy a "Lexus" if that were the case there would be no Honda's built... But there are WAY more Honda's, Toyota's, Chevy's sold per year than Lexus's or Cadillac's. Obviouly lower end (cheaper, less complex, less options) products are wanted, because quite a few of them are sold every year.

I bought a CM for a few reasons.... I like the dealer, I talked to many that loved their's and I liked what I saw from a strength and manufacturing quality stand point - I watch cars go off an assembly line all day, I know what I'm looking for and what I want. Is a CM right for everyone - of course not, but I'm pretty pleased with mine. And I'm happy you're pleased with your Sundowner... You're happy - I'm happy and two companies are in business for it... everyone's happy!

Bottom line is what I want, need and am willing to pay for is not going to be the same as everyone else... we are all different and have different needs, wants and budgets. I didn't buy the cheapest trailer, but I didn't buy the most expensive either - I bought what I wanted and what I felt was the best value for me and my use and it had nothing to do with a "name" or advertising.

Honestly I knocked Sundowner out of the running early on, the dealer was too far away and I would have had to pay a couple of 1000's more for the same options and it was a steel frame. One dealer tried to lie to me (told me it was all alum - I have a computer - I can check those things!).... All in all, it turned me off. Some of that is "Sundowner" related, some not... but as any car company will tell you, you are only as strong as your dealer base.

As for Warranty issues - those are usually as much dealer related as company related.

As with any negative or positive feedback about anything - take it with a grain of salt, because it's only one side of the story. When I hear negative things about a product I'm interested in, it prompts me to investigate a little more, maybe find out if that issue is a common one or is the complainer is just a complainer. Some people take it as gospel... but fortunately for Sundowner those are usually the types whooed by big advertising too.

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-08-09 3:00 PM (#29039 - in reply to #29031)

Extreme Veteran

Well said kat.

Safe Riding,
Todd
coleS
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 3:15 PM (#29042 - in reply to #29037)

Thank you you said that well. I never said anything about looking down on anyone nomatter who they are or what they have
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 3:22 PM (#29044 - in reply to #29037)

Regular

Yes, that was very well said. I'm impressed.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-09 3:26 PM (#29045 - in reply to #28968)

Elite Veteran

Love my Bison!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-09 3:34 PM (#29047 - in reply to #29042)

Expert

"Thank you you said that well. I never said anything about looking down on anyone nomatter who they are or what they have"

Well your whole first post was extremely inflammatory-I have corrrosponded with another poster( another forum) who had a ramp fall off her Sundowner and the company, at first, refused to fix it. Now that doesn't mean they are a bad trailer or company but it goes to show ain't nothing perfect out there.  It silly to think NOTHING will EVER go wrong with a Sundowner or that things ALWAYS fail on another brand. If you like your trailer, good. Its JUST a trailer nothing more. I think people like you take this way too seriously.

JakeB
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 3:44 PM (#29049 - in reply to #28968)

this post has been great.  I learned some interesting news last night while visiting one of the largest RV dealers in the nation last night.  TOM RAPER RV'S( in Richmond, Indiana) is a very large RV/trailer dealer and many people know the name if not at least heard of them.  I talked with the main horse trailer manager last night and he enlightened me on Sundowner.  They (Tom Raper) was a Sundowner dealer until recently.  They had taken some Sundowner trailers even to Congress to sell and he had toured the plant and all that dealer only fun stuff.  Some people might know that Sundowner has a outlet store just west of Columbus, Ohio on US 42 and I-70.  Originally, Tom Raper was going to buy that facility with Sundowner as their main trailer source.  Tom Raper had purchased 1.5 million dollars in sundowner trailers to get started.  A week later Sundowner went and bought the whole facility out from underneith Tom Raper trailer/rv sales and opened their outlet store and left Raper's with several trailers to sell and no help from Sundowner.  I know everyone has a story to tell but it really left a bad taste in my mouth after hearing how much everyone thinks "Sundowner" and its "CUSTOMER SERVICE" takes care of their dealers and customers!!!  If they are willing to screw a future major dealer to sell their trailers, what do you think they would do for a normal potential customer!!!  After hearing this, and the salesman telling me this and showing me the only Sundowner LQ he has left, he mentions. "Sundowner has a nice sticker on the front of their trailers, but everything else including their "excellent customer service is a joke!"  That is pretty encouraging when a past Sundowner dealer would tell you that kinda information about a trailer that he is trying to sell on his lot!!!

Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-08-09 7:37 PM (#29064 - in reply to #28968)

Veteran

I've had two separate Sundowner dealers tell me that they're been "wronged' by Sundowner. Apparently, there's intense pressure to meet sales quotas or else you'll lose the dealership. Plus, Sundowner used to have a strict territory system that gave dealers the benefit of being the exclusive dealer within a certain mile radius. This system has been severely relaxed so there's more competition for customers between dealers.

I'm not sure how appropriate this was to share with a customer. It did of course give me some bargaining power, but I would have pursued that anyway.

A lot of stuff in my LQ did not work when I got the trailer home. The refrigerator, radio, and water pump were replaced and a wire had to be removed so that I could use GCFI protected outlets. Most of the items broke while I was camping which was a major inconvenience. The dealer did not perform the standard check list prior to letting me drive it off the lot. (Lesson learned for me to do the proper inspections myself). Because the dealer was so busy selling new trailers to meet his quota, my calls for service went unanswered. I moved out of state and eventually got the repairs done elsewhere.

Aside from this dealer's poor service, I love the trailer. Its designed very well and I love the layout of the LQ and it's features. My horses are safe and happy in it.

I am proud to own a Sundowner. I bought it because of its features and resale value that would be applicable anywhere in the country (I move a lot). But I was just as proud of my homemade LQ I built in a steel trailer! Happiness comes from within not the brand of your LQ!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)