'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Why Sundowner LQ????

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-20 10:36 PM
37 replies, 9103 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-09 9:17 PM (#29067 - in reply to #28968)
Subject: RE: Why Sundowner LQ????

Make your point, but please keep it civil ya'll....

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dnickerson
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-08-09 10:22 PM (#29070 - in reply to #28968)

Well Jake, with all said an done from everyone. If you an your wife are still interested in a sundowner ? I have a 2004 Trail Blazer 3/Sunlite 727 8008 that my wife & I are selling. The reason is that when we bought the trailer, we would be able to get away once or twice a month camping & riding , well that just has'nt happened. We've used the trailer maybe 6 or 8 times & I have'nt even had time for any riding at all now.So if you & your wife are interested , you can call me at 401-225-5401 we're selling the trailer well below what the dealers say the book value. Either way good luck on finding a trailer you like. By the way, if my friends or people judge me by what i own then i don't need to be around them

Good luck
Horsehead41
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-11 12:46 PM (#29139 - in reply to #28968)

When you pay the kind of money we pay for trailers today, there is no excuse for poor service. I would talk to people who own and use the trailer I am interested in to find out about the trailer and to find out about the dealer they bought it from. It seems to me that the opinions of disgruntled ex-dealers are kind of like the opinions of ex-spouses. Sometimes a little biased. If he isn't selling brand X any more then now he's selling brand Y. Read the posts on this forum. I'll bet that some of the hottest arguments you see are salesmen ragging on each other's brands. It's pretty entertaining sometimes.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-11 4:32 PM (#29159 - in reply to #28968)

Expert

Personal experiance:

1)I bought my Sundowner trailer on E-bay!  Not a dealer involved.  I called the Corp office, They were most helpful in getting the remainder of the warranty transfered to me (Cost$100)

2) Steel frame was getting rusty (trailer spent 1st 3 yrs in FL)  Corp office Authorized local dealer to fix it under warranty.  They cleaned and painted it.

3) Weight rating.  Original VWR was 11,000 pounds (2 x 5,500 # axles)  My driver's license is only good to pull 10,000#  Corp Sundowner said send in old vin plate and they'll issue new one rated at 9,950.  I did, they did.

4)  Roof leaked at seam.  Called Corp Sundowner service & asked where to get the OEM caulking.  They sent me 3 Tubes ... Free (it's expensive stuff)

I'm very happy with Corp Sundowner service

Sounds like dealer service is mucho variable from some of the postings here

Edited by hosspuller 2005-08-11 4:35 PM
KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-15 3:16 PM (#29235 - in reply to #29067)
Subject: DELETED

Veteran

DELETED

KCW
karl1952@email.com

Edited by KCW 2006-02-14 8:19 AM
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 3:57 PM (#29237 - in reply to #28968)

Veteran

Hi all, Purchased a used Sundowner in late June of last year. 1994 Sunlite 4 horse with extended dressing room from an individual. After awhile I was looking at the vin. sticker and the weight ratings seemed to be incorrect.I was reluctant to call the manufacturer over a trailer this old but decided to give it a try. Much to my suprise I was not only treated well but was treated as tho I had just purshassed a brand new Sundowner with every attempt made to correct the issue I had with the vin. sticker. I don't recall the gentlemans name that I spoke to but he took my phone number and said he would call me right back. Being the skeptic I am I really didn't exspect to hear back from him at all (ten year old trailer,who cares we made our money on it back then). Was totally surprised to hear back from him in less than 5 minutes and having an answer to all of my questions. Moral is that this may or may not be the response that folks are getting from the dealers but for a owner of a now eleven year old used trailer this was factory service beyond compare. Of coarse this was my experiance, Yours may vary!!!! Ardly
beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-08-15 8:25 PM (#29246 - in reply to #29159)

Originally written by hosspuller on 2005-08-11 4:32 PM

Personal experiance:

1)I bought my Sundowner trailer on E-bay!  Not a dealer involved.  I called the Corp office, They were most helpful in getting the remainder of the warranty transfered to me (Cost$100)

2) Steel frame was getting rusty (trailer spent 1st 3 yrs in FL)  Corp office Authorized local dealer to fix it under warranty.  They cleaned and painted it.

3) Weight rating.  Original VWR was 11,000 pounds (2 x 5,500 # axles)  My driver's license is only good to pull 10,000#  Corp Sundowner said send in old vin plate and they'll issue new one rated at 9,950.  I did, they did.

4)  Roof leaked at seam.  Called Corp Sundowner service & asked where to get the OEM caulking.  They sent me 3 Tubes ... Free (it's expensive stuff)

Soooooo.. if my trailer weighs too much, just call Sundowner and they will lie for me to get a different weight rating on the VIN??? NOW THAT's CUSTOMER SERVICE???
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-16 7:25 AM (#29258 - in reply to #29246)

Expert

Originally written by beenaround on 2005-08-15 7:25 PM

Personal experiance:

Soooooo.. if my trailer weighs too much, just call Sundowner and they will lie for me to get a different weight rating on the VIN??? NOW THAT's CUSTOMER SERVICE???

Who said anything about lying or any untruth ??

Seems to me... A trailer builder is able to rate their design and product at any weight they choose.  Consider the logic here...

If they rate the trailer at a "Million" pounds, I load the trailer up and the thing crushes like a beer can.  I have an actionable case against Sundowner.  Conversely, if they rate the trailer at 4000 pounds (about what it weighs) and I put 10,000 pounds on it.  (for a GVW of 14,000#) I'm the one liable and overloaded if stopped by the police.  Sundowner has no liability if the axles break or something fails.  Seems like the older trailers were rated by the axle ratings as a convenience.

I'm also sure Sundowner won't rerate a 6 horse LQ to under 10,000 pounds either.  They asked me a bunch of questions before agreeing to the rerate.

Anyone have better knowledge?

Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-16 11:32 AM (#29266 - in reply to #29235)

Originally written by KCW on 2005-08-15 4:16 PM

Oh, Whats up with MILEY?

KCW
karl1952@email.com

Old name, new trailer...very nice little piece for the money!!!

beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-08-16 6:16 PM (#29278 - in reply to #29258)

Originally written by hosspuller on 2005-08-16 7:25 AM

Originally written by beenaround on 2005-08-15 7:25 PM

Personal experiance:

Who said anything about lying or any untruth ??

Seems to me... A trailer builder is able to rate their design and product at any weight they choose.  Consider the logic here...

If they rate the trailer at a "Million" pounds, I load the trailer up and the thing crushes like a beer can.  I have an actionable case against Sundowner.  Conversely, if they rate the trailer at 4000 pounds (about what it weighs) and I put 10,000 pounds on it.  (for a GVW of 14,000#) I'm the one liable and overloaded if stopped by the police.  Sundowner has no liability if the axles break or something fails.  Seems like the older trailers were rated by the axle ratings as a convenience.

I'm also sure Sundowner won't rerate a 6 horse LQ to under 10,000 pounds either.  They asked me a bunch of questions before agreeing to the rerate.

Anyone have better knowledge?

Sorry, I thought 2 X 5500# equals 11,000#?? Didin't know a manufacturer could make up their own VWR??
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-08-17 9:56 AM (#29298 - in reply to #28968)

Veteran

Need to come down from that high mountain peak every now and again,

it seems  the air is getting a little too thin up there.

Most peaple know  by now on this forum that trailers are normally weight rated by there weakest link, not just because the axels are a certain weight rating.

Sometimes its the tires, rims, design, but whatever the case may be they certainly would be the best judge of that since they where the ones that put them together.

If you intend to put together an argument at least do so with some facts to stand behind. Allthough I'm relativelly new hear and my credability may be lacking, at least its not lost in some high mountain cloud.............

Ardly

beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-08-20 6:59 PM (#29431 - in reply to #28968)

My "point" is that I doubt Ford will give me a new VWR if I ask so why would a trailer manufacturer be exempt??  Doesn't Sundowner have to change ALL the "like" VIN tags that effect this model, or they are allowed by law, to make special VIN tags to coverup the originals already on the trailer, based on individual needs basis??????.  No lawyer or wise guy here, just don't understand why some companies are OK if they break the rules everyone else has to play by??
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-20 10:36 PM (#29435 - in reply to #29431)

Expert

Originally written by beenaround on 2005-08-20 5:59 PM

My "point" is that I doubt Ford will give me a new VWR if I ask so why would a trailer manufacturer be exempt??  Doesn't Sundowner have to change ALL the "like" VIN tags that effect this model, or they are allowed by law, to make special VIN tags to coverup the originals already on the trailer, based on individual needs basis??????.  No lawyer or wise guy here, just don't understand why some companies are OK if they break the rules everyone else has to play by??

What rules?  What law?  The ones you think should be? or.. The ones you make up? 

I'll agree with you... You are definitely not a lawyer nor wise

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)