'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
SunCoat on Sundowners?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-01 1:55 PM
19 replies, 6901 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JakeB
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-08 11:18 AM (#28967)
Subject: SunCoat on Sundowners?

My wife and I just sold our 2003 Silver Star Starlite LQ to her mother and we are currently looking for a new LQ trailer.  We have looked at Sundowner mostly because most of our friends have them.  Does anybody know if any other trailer mfg undercoats and does that rhino lining (Suncoat) on their goosenecks and breastplate like Sundowner does? 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
karenb
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-08-08 2:01 PM (#28974 - in reply to #28967)
Subject: RE: SunCoat on Sundowners?

Regular

Jake, I was recently trailer shopping and was also trying to find (for comparison), some other brands that have the suncoat. Didn't find any. Although, there are companies that can put it on after-market, just like the spray in bed liner on trucks. Not into the status 'thing' but do feel that Sundowners keep their value well for resale. Last trailer was a Sundowner and ended up buying another Sundowner for several reasons, one being the Suncoat. However, if I were to do it again, I would try to get the factory to put rubber on the stall walls. The Suncoat is easier to clean and looks nice but will dent with kicks, where the rubber on our older Sundowner never dented, it seemed more resilient than the Suncoated panels. Neither of my trailers had LQ, so, can't really comment about that. Good luck in your search for a new trailer!
CMEL8TR
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 3:11 PM (#28982 - in reply to #28967)

CMEL8TR
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 3:16 PM (#28983 - in reply to #28967)

JAKE, THE REASON THAT THEY HAVE THE SUNCOAT IS TO COVER THE STEEL FRAME THAT THEY ARE USING ON SOME (MOST) OF THEIR TRAILERS THESE DAYS.  MOST PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THAT THEY HAVE A STEEL FRAME WITH AN ALUMINUM SKIN.  THE REASON THAT I KNOW IS I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.  GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!

janna@toec
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-08 3:53 PM (#28985 - in reply to #28967)

New User

Is the suncoat more important than structure and option. What about the over all build of the trailer.  I agree the suncoat can be put on any trailer.  I also agree that it is hard to determine the steel frame from the all aluminum.  Defenetly go with the all aluminum.  Why Sundowner? Good luck with your shopping.   :
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-08 4:04 PM (#28986 - in reply to #28983)

Expert

Originally written by CMEL8TR on 2005-08-08 2:16 PM

JAKE, THE REASON THAT THEY HAVE THE SUNCOAT IS TO COVER THE STEEL FRAME THAT THEY ARE USING ON SOME (MOST) OF THEIR TRAILERS THESE DAYS.  MOST PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THAT THEY HAVE A STEEL FRAME WITH AN ALUMINUM SKIN.  THE REASON THAT I KNOW IS I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.  GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!

"I have no connection with Sundowner Inc."

Sundowner makes all steel, steel frame with aluminum skin, roof & fixtures, all aluminum except hitch & axles, trailers.  Each fills a market.  I believe, they are big enough to compete in many markets.   Other trailer builders can only or choose to compete in limited markets.  The Suncoat does a very good job of protecting the undersurfaces from dings and chips.  It's an expensive material compared to paint.

(I believe) They aren't trying to fool anybody or hide anything.  Just ask the dealer what the trailer is made of, if you can't figure it yourself.

"...Stupidity is forever, ignorance can be cured with learning.."

Edited by hosspuller 2005-08-08 4:14 PM
CMEL8TR
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 4:30 PM (#28987 - in reply to #28986)

ask the dealer?  WOW  that's a novel idea!!!  why didn't I think of that.  And the response that I received wasn't anywhere close to the truth.  So GENIUS  what do you do when it is a factory store that is telling you that it's just a protective coating that they put on their trailers to keep them looking better from the elements. 
beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 5:04 PM (#28989 - in reply to #28967)

Suncoat (Rhino liner) only sticks very well to steel. Where there's suncoat, there's usually steel .  Sundowner sprays on their aluminum floor, but it comes off pretty easily.

Edited by beenaround 2005-08-08 5:06 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-08 8:42 PM (#29002 - in reply to #28987)

Expert

Originally written by CMEL8TR on 2005-08-08 3:30 PM

ask the dealer?  WOW  that's a novel idea!!!  why didn't I think of that.  And the response that I received wasn't anywhere close to the truth.  So GENIUS  what do you do when it is a factory store that is telling you that it's just a protective coating that they put on their trailers to keep them looking better from the elements. 

So.. what were you told that "...wasn't anywhere close to the truth..."?  Suncoat is "...just a protective coating..." 

I don't believe it has any structural properties.  It's a rubber like coating... Sounds pausible to me.

I'm willing to be enlightened... do tell.

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-08 8:51 PM (#29004 - in reply to #28967)

Extreme Veteran

Exactly, it(Suncoat or Rhino lining) is to protect the steel or aluminum from the elements and prolong the life of the trailer. I think the stuff is the horse's A@@ myself. I have the Rhino lining in two of my trucks and while it serves no "structural" purpose it sure is prolonging the life of the bed of my trucks from the "elements", weather, rocks, shovels, quads, garbage. I would love to have some of the stuff on the floor of the horse area in my trailer and on the underside of the gooseneck. Bravo to Sundowner for using the stuff in places other than the trailer floor. I hope other trailer brands catch on.
dylan1
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 10:47 AM (#29021 - in reply to #28967)

I sell H&H Trailers, they don't make horse trailers but, do spray Line X which is like Rhrino lining on the hitch area and rear frame around the doors, of their cargo trailers. It has been a real sells aid when comparing our trailers to the competion. It's not a way to hide anything, but a good way to protect the metal from chipping paint, and rusting, especially on the hitch. I have been considering having the liner sprayed on the front wall under the gooseneck of my Titan trailer.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-09 11:16 AM (#29025 - in reply to #28967)

Expert

Stuff like the sunoat will catch on only if the public wants it. I don't put gravel, garbage or quads on the hitch or underside of the gooseneck. It maybe a nice feature that would appeal to some and perhaps it will become a industry standard but I don't hink ti would amke me buy one trailer over another especially if price was a factor. All things being equal, that might be a different story....
JakeB
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 3:55 PM (#29051 - in reply to #28967)

I have two trucks both with rhino lining bed liner in them.  I have looked at several trailers and everyone of them start rusting under the goosneck quickly.  I've been to Congress and seen brand new trailers starting to lose their paint and rust showing already on a NEW trailer.  Our 2003 Silver Star trailer was stored inside other than when being used and the goosneck was showing rust on it too as soon as it was bought new.  I am a fan of the rhino lining, but only think on a aluminum trailer it needs to be on the gooseneck and breast plate only.  That sure would make a nice trailer stand out from the rest!!!  Especially if the rhino lining was a color to match the graphics on the trailer like red, gree, blue!!  It would be sharp!!!
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-08-09 4:17 PM (#29054 - in reply to #28987)

Veteran

Originally written by CMEL8TR on 2005-08-08 4:30 PM

A little anger management needed here?
Horsehead41
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 5:00 PM (#29057 - in reply to #28967)

Nothing like a question with a brand name in it to get the salesmen stirred up. Some of them provide good advise but too many of them are just slinging mud. Back to the original question, "Does anybody know if any other trailer mfg undercoats and does that rhino lining (Suncoat) on their goosenecks and breastplate like Sundowner does?" I don't recall seeing it on any other brands I've seen at trail rides, shows or barrel races so I'd say no, but never say never. I guess it could also be added aftermarket. Although, its not inexpensive, I think it is probably worth it. The breastplate can take a lot of abuse.
trailers21
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-08-16 11:58 AM (#29267 - in reply to #28967)

The Sundowner trailers can be a "727" (powder coated steel frame) or what the industry refers to as an "all" aluminum trailer in their "725". For the person who was mislead, that is unfortunate from your dealer. ALL of the Sundowner 727 trailers have a powder coated frame, and depending on the model it could be a steel frame (727's) or the equivalent in aluminum frame (725's). The powder coat is different from the suncoat as it is a heat treated application that is run through an oven. The Sundowner trailers come standard with powder coated frames (727), suncoated under the gooseneck, kick panels, and floors, and undercoated underneath the trailer. All of these are different materials and are on every trailer.  

Edited by trailers21 2005-08-16 12:03 PM
Zane
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-08-16 3:29 PM (#29272 - in reply to #28967)

In answer to CMEL8TR, and Trailers 21----Trailers, you're pretty sharp and knowledgeable.  But--powder-coating is a little more inclusive.  There's a five-stage wash----Alkaline wash,rinse,Acid wash,rinse,Sealer-coating. After the wash stage, parts go through a drying oven in preparation for paint.  Then the parts move through the paint booth and paint powder is "fogged" onto the parts to insure complete coverage.  At this time,powder is attracted to the parts by a difference in "static" charge between the part and the paint powder.  Parts then go to the Bake oven where they are heated to melt the paint powder and fuse it to the part !!!   And that, my friend, is Sundowner's $1.6 million dollar process !!!!    Now, to answer CMEL8TR-----  If you had taken the time to look at any of Sundowner's brochures on their various models, regardless of what some misinformed person told you,  complete descriptions are listed on each brochure.  If it is a steel-framed trailer, it will say so--just as the aluminum-framed trailkers will say so !!  A little knowledge can be a powerful thing----casn't it ???  The Suncoat process evolved through a lot of testing and research.  Rubber matting can be stretched and torn by a horse that "wall-walks".  It is expensive to replace.  Rubber matting fades and holds odor.  Suncoat does none of these things !!  Plus an added bonus--suncoat can be repaired easily if a horseshoe nail gouges it .  It stays bright and shiny,is odor-free,doesn't take much to clean--what's not to like??  The breast-plate has always been a hard area to keep clean on an aluminum trailer especially.  Mud, road film,stone-chips,oxidation,--they all take their toll.  Suncoating this area made sense.  It's easier to maintain, and looks good.  So, as you can see--Suncoating didn't evolve to "hide" a steel trailer.  It's there to make your trailer nicer looking, easier to maintain, and longer-lasting.  So I ask again---What's not to like ???     Zane.

trailers21
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-08-19 1:46 PM (#29401 - in reply to #28967)

Thanks Zane! I appreciate your description of the powder coat process to help potential trailer purchaser's understand. As you say....."What's not to like?"
beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-08-20 6:51 PM (#29430 - in reply to #29272)

Originally written by Zane on 2005-08-16 3:29 PM

In answer to CMEL8TR, and Trailers 21----Trailers, you're pretty sharp and knowledgeable.  But--powder-coating is a little more inclusive.  There's a five-stage wash----Alkaline wash,rinse,Acid wash,rinse,Sealer-coating. After the wash stage, parts go through a drying oven in preparation for paint.  Then the parts move through the paint booth and paint powder is "fogged" onto the parts to insure complete coverage.  At this time,powder is attracted to the parts by a difference in "static" charge between the part and the paint powder.  Parts then go to the Bake oven where they are heated to melt the paint powder and fuse it to the part !!!   And that, my friend, is Sundowner's $1.6 million dollar process !!!!    Now, to answer CMEL8TR-----  If you had taken the time to look at any of Sundowner's brochures on their various models, regardless of what some misinformed person told you,  complete descriptions are listed on each brochure.  If it is a steel-framed trailer, it will say so--just as the aluminum-framed trailkers will say so !!  A little knowledge can be a powerful thing----casn't it ???  The Suncoat process evolved through a lot of testing and research.  Rubber matting can be stretched and torn by a horse that "wall-walks".  It is expensive to replace.  Rubber matting fades and holds odor.  Suncoat does none of these things !!  Plus an added bonus--suncoat can be repaired easily if a horseshoe nail gouges it .  It stays bright and shiny,is odor-free,doesn't take much to clean--what's not to like??  The breast-plate has always been a hard area to keep clean on an aluminum trailer especially.  Mud, road film,stone-chips,oxidation,--they all take their toll.  Suncoating this area made sense.  It's easier to maintain, and looks good.  So, as you can see--Suncoating didn't evolve to "hide" a steel trailer.  It's there to make your trailer nicer looking, easier to maintain, and longer-lasting.  So I ask again---What's not to like ???     Zane.

Just wonering why so many Valuelites , now renamed 727 (steel framed) are showing so much rust around the window and door openings??? Isn't this problem of rusting from the inside out, the reason Sundwoner went to Suncaot and quite powdercoat????

Horsehead41
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-09-01 1:55 PM (#29880 - in reply to #28967)

Out of curiosity Ben, do you really see that many Valuelites high up on your mountain?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)