'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brake Controller Problem?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-10 10:08 PM
9 replies, 3762 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mkenngen
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-06 4:27 PM (#28933)
Subject: Brake Controller Problem?

I noticed today (hope it hasn't been happening a long time) that the brake indicator light on my Voyager brake controller turns orange when my hazard lights are on (which I turn on when I'm going quite a bit slower than other traffic up a hill).  It doesn't do it when the turn indicators are on and it doesn't do it when the engine's not on.    Any ideas what this might be and how big a deal (obviously won't use the hazards 'til figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-06 6:26 PM (#28935 - in reply to #28933)
Subject: RE: Brake Controller Problem?

Expert

Originally written by mkenngen on 2005-08-06 4:27 PM

I noticed today (hope it hasn't been happening a long time) that the brake indicator light on my Voyager brake controller turns orange when my hazard lights are on (which I turn on when I'm going quite a bit slower than other traffic up a hill). It doesn't do it when the turn indicators are on and it doesn't do it when the engine's not on. Any ideas what this might be and how big a deal (obviously won't use the hazards 'til figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

It might/could be due to a poor ground... iffy/maybe.
OTOH, it might just be that your four (eight, ten ?) way flashers are sucking a lot of current with the trailer attached.

I havn't noticed it, but I replaced all the stop/turn lights of the trucks and trailers with LEDs, so those draw very little current anyway.

What brand/model brake controller ?
How many stop/turn bulbs on your 4 way flashers when the trailer is hooked up ?
mkenngen
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-07 7:39 PM (#28951 - in reply to #28933)

Thanks.  I think I have figured out that the brake controller is doing someting wrong.  A volt meter on the pin in the wiring harness for the brakes reads 12 volt when the truck is just sitting there.

Peggy

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-07 7:52 PM (#28952 - in reply to #28951)

Expert

Originally written by mkenngen on 2005-08-07 7:39 PM

Thanks. I think I have figured out that the brake controller is doing someting wrong. A volt meter on the pin in the wiring harness for the brakes reads 12 volt when the truck is just sitting there.

Peggy

Which pin ?
I think the one that eventually becomes the blue wire to actually send the CURRENT to the brakes should be at zero Volts when the truck is "just sitting there". As I understand it these are voltage devices. Are the trailer brakes APPLIED when the truck is just sitting there ?

mkenngen
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-07 8:10 PM (#28953 - in reply to #28933)

I'm sure it's obvious by now that I don't know much about this . . .

It's the pin that does the brakes - we tested the other ones and they worked (e.g., only read when turn indicator on) - I can't read any indications on the wiring harness but matched it up with the plug on the trailer (it say's "S"). I wasn't stepping on the brakes but the parking brake was on (that wouldn't do it would it - I don't understand how this inertia brake controller turns red when I step on the brakes if the truck isn't moving)

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-08 2:26 PM (#28977 - in reply to #28953)

Expert

Why type of plug between truck and trailer ? 6 or 7? or 4 pin?

I have a voyager brake controller.  My book says that red indicates electricity going to the brakes (well duh, like "we" didn't know that already).  If you step on the truck brakes, the light on the controller should change color - regardless of your motion (stopped or moving). Adequate braking is from light orange to dark red (Hard / agressive braking)

Have you ever adjusted your level and gain? Do you have the owner's manual for the brake controller? If you do not have the owner's guide, go to Tekonsha's web site for instructions

http://www.tekonsha.com/tevoyagerintro.html

You need to use Internet Explorer (Netscape is not good viewing).

THere is a troubleshooting section for every model they make. For example, there is this statement... which is why I think you need to set your level and your gain and then go about troubleshooting for the 4-way flasher thing.

Q.) There is 12 volts on the Blue Wire all the time.A.) This is normal operation. The Voyager® sends a low current voltage checking for the trailer. Once the Voyager has a complete circuit to ground on the Blue wire. Then the Green light will come on and the voltage will disappear.

Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-09 2:18 PM (#29036 - in reply to #28933)

On many of the older controllers, when the flashers are running, you are also applying power to your brakes...in pulses, of course.

Turn the gain up and see if your trailer jerks you around a little and the flashers go on and off. If so, that's your answer..

Just a thought..

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-09 5:16 PM (#29059 - in reply to #29036)

Expert

Originally written by Mr. Trailer on 2005-08-09 3:18 PM

On many of the older controllers, when the flashers are running, you are also applying power to your brakes...in pulses, of course.

Turn the gain up and see if your trailer jerks you around a little and the flashers go on and off. If so, that's your answer..

Just a thought..

yeah i remember something about that, the 4 way back feeding the brake light switch which in turn was sending a false, pulsing signal to the brake controller. isnt there a relay or something that supposed to filter that out?

Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-09 6:06 PM (#29062 - in reply to #29059)

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-08-09 6:16 PM

yeah i remember something about that, the 4 way back feeding the brake light switch which in turn was sending a false, pulsing signal to the brake controller. isnt there a relay or something that supposed to filter that out?

I beleive it depends on the age of the controller...

mkenngen
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-10 10:08 PM (#29113 - in reply to #28933)

Thanks for all your thoughts.  After a call to Tekonsha, I had a "pulse preventer" installed that hopefully will fix it (the description on the product indicates it's for exactly my problem). 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)