'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer bucking???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-04 1:57 PM
5 replies, 3169 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

skeeter7
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-08-03 12:41 PM (#28827)
Subject: trailer bucking???

I have a 99 Dodge 2500 with the 24 valve deisel and haul a GN 2horse Four Star aluminum trailer w/ 5' LW dressing room no LQ. I have noticed that some times it seems that when pulling the trailer it seems to "buck" at about 1800 RPM and I either have to let of the gas or really put my foot into it and it will shift through. What could be causing this, truck has just passed 100K miles, seems to run great and gets great gas mileage. Is this something normal or what. I hate to sound ignorant, but I have always had gas trucks prior to this and they were dogs all of the time. I get great acceleration up hill, etc and I know that I am not exceding my GVWR. Any suggestions? Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-08-03 1:22 PM (#28832 - in reply to #28827)
Subject: RE: trailer bucking???

Extreme Veteran

skeeter7
Try this site
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php?s=
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-03 10:24 PM (#28855 - in reply to #28827)

Expert

Originally written by skeeter7 on 2005-08-03 12:41 PM

I have a 99 Dodge 2500 with the 24 valve deisel and haul a GN 2horse Four Star aluminum trailer w/ 5' LW dressing room no LQ. I have noticed that some times it seems that when pulling the trailer it seems to "buck" at about 1800 RPM and I either have to let of the gas or really put my foot into it and it will shift through. What could be causing this, truck has just passed 100K miles, seems to run great and gets great gas mileage. Is this something normal or what. I hate to sound ignorant, but I have always had gas trucks prior to this and they were dogs all of the time. I get great acceleration up hill, etc and I know that I am not exceding my GVWR. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If that is around a shift point for your transmission - it could be a couple of things. The easiest one to check and eliminate is looseness in the coupler, ball mount, ball mount plate, trailer neck, etc. OTOH, it could be the trannie itself )-: Then there's the TP cable thing, or whatever it is called now, that indicates the throttle position to the trans' logic.

How much towing, how many filter and fluid changes ?
Has it started (or got worse) since the weather got hot ?
Any other straws we can grasp at ?

Edited by Reg 2005-08-03 10:27 PM
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-03 10:32 PM (#28858 - in reply to #28827)

Elite Veteran

Also, does it only do it on certain road surfaces, primarily concrete sectioned roads, not so much on black top?
skeeter7
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-08-04 10:06 AM (#28868 - in reply to #28827)

That is a shift point for my truck, coupler, etc all seem fine, you bring up a good point, might need to have tranny serviced, might just need fluid and filter changed or maybe even fuel filter might not be getting adequate fuel. I will take to the dealership and have tranny service performed, can't hurt anyhow as it has just passed 100K miles. I will try those things first, if that doesn't fix the problem I will let you know. Thanks!!!!

PS: I have noticed it more since getting brakes and tires replaced and weather has gotten hotter, could be coincidence?!?!?

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-04 1:57 PM (#28880 - in reply to #28868)

Expert

Originally written by skeeter7 on 2005-08-04 10:06 AM

That is a shift point for my truck, coupler, etc all seem fine, you bring up a good point, might need to have tranny serviced, might just need fluid and filter changed or maybe even fuel filter might not be getting adequate fuel. I will take to the dealership and have tranny service performed, can't hurt anyhow as it has just passed 100K miles. I will try those things first, if that doesn't fix the problem I will let you know. Thanks!!!!

PS: I have noticed it more since getting brakes and tires replaced and weather has gotten hotter, could be coincidence?!?!?

WHICH brakes and tires ? {truck or trailer}

I'm not sure that this is recommended anywhere, it might be "retentive", but if I'm towing a lot I like to change trannie fluid and filter annually (pun). A LOT being either HEAVY(subjective, but "loaded") or over about 20,000 miles.
If 100K is the first change it might not CURE anything, but it might help slow down the rate of deterioration. Check if that trannie needs ATF+3, it might not, the cars do for certain. I guess that should have been another T/S question: has it been changed to (or topped off with) regular dextron III ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)