'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Opinions on Trailer Features

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-09 5:26 PM
14 replies, 6625 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-03 10:57 AM (#28820)
Subject: Opinions on Trailer Features

Veteran

Now that I have sold my old trailer, I am looking for a new one. I will be going from a BP to a GN and have found 2 possible fits in my price range. Since I have never owned a BP or a slant, I would like some opinions (both positive and negative) on the following trailers.

Trailer 1:

2004 Sundowner 727 Sunlite - Collapsable RT with swing out saddle rack, drop downs on head, bus windows on rear. Rear doors are 50 / 50 doors. Steel frame with aluminum skin and alum floor. Trailer is used so no transferrable warranty. A/C and heat in DR. Trailer width is 6'9", height is 7', and length is 21'2". Stalls are 42" wide.

Trailer 2:

2002 Keifer Built Genesis - Collapsable RT - saddle rack does not swing out. . Drop downs on head, bus windows on rear. Rear doors are 60 / 40. All aluminum trailer. Screen door on DR. Trailer is a demo so has never been sold and warranty does apply (3 yr. hitch to bumper with leak-proof guarantee, 8 yrs. structural). Trailer is 7'2" wide, 7' tall, and 22'7" long. Stalls are 40' wide.

Most of the other features are very similar but I was wondering about the all aluminum verses steel / aluminum, warranty verses no warranty (have any of you ever used your warranty?), and the overall size, weight, and door openings on back. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Just a little background......I will be using this trailer primarily for day trips for trail riding. I have 2 horses, a 14.3H QH and a 15.3H Appaloosa. I will be pulling it with a Chevy Silverado 1500 SL Extended Cab.

Edited by Champhorse 2005-08-03 10:58 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-03 11:25 AM (#28822 - in reply to #28820)
Subject: RE: Opinions on Trailer Features

Extreme Veteran

Your best bet would be to do  a search on this board for past discussions on aluminum vs. steel, slant vs. straight and the brands which you have mentioned.

I'm not sure why the warranty on the Sundowner would not be transferrable if it is used. I bought an '03 Exiss used, and the warranty was transferred over to my my name. Having the warranty, while you may never need it, it is there and gives you peace of mind.

Are you looking at 2 horse or 3 horse trailers? Check to make sure your truck is suitable for the trailer you wish to buy.

Good luck!!!

justinc
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-03 11:45 AM (#28824 - in reply to #28820)

Are you sure Sundowners warranty is non transferable?
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-03 1:19 PM (#28831 - in reply to #28820)

Veteran

Well, according to the web site it is so it looks like there would be 1+ years bumper to hitch left and 6+ years structural. There are some manufacturers who state the warranty is good for the original purchaser and when I called about this trailer, I was informed it did not come with a warranty. I will have to check further into that.

As far as the questions about 2H or 3H, I need to stay with a 2H due to the towing capacity of my vehicle. Also, I usually only haul 1 horse at a time so 2H is very sufficient.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-03 3:35 PM (#28834 - in reply to #28820)

Expert

Sundowner charged a $100 fee (as of my transfer) to transfer the warrenty.  Call the factory customer service line.

The selling dealer may not be a Sundowner dealer.  The factory was most helpful since I bought my trailer through a private sale.  (E-bay !)

Edited to add some detail

Edited by hosspuller 2005-08-03 3:39 PM
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-03 4:12 PM (#28835 - in reply to #28820)

Veteran

Any opinions on the 60 / 40 doors verses the 50 / 50 ? What about the swing out saddle rack verses the set saddle rack ? Lastly, what about Sundowner verses Keifer ? My last trailer was a Sundowner and I had no problems at all with it but Keifer is not as abundant in Texas so I don't have a lot of feedback on it. I have done a search on past posts but didn't find much.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-03 4:22 PM (#28836 - in reply to #28820)

Expert

Nobody here can tell you what is suitable for you- you need to figure that out. if you're planning to trail ride and no overnights, then it sounds as if either one can be good for you.  If you're not spending much time in the trailer, the AC/heat is a non issue, you probably won't be using it anyway ( unless things change and you plan on some overnights) The door width is primarily a personal preference- I have 60-40 doors and its nice to have a bit more space to the horse area since I haul stuff  in the first stall. If you just loading horses, I shouldn't think its  a real big deal. Alumuinm/steel combos are popular- I had one. My current trailer is all aluminum since I was concerend about rust. But a combo can hold up very well.

When I bought a new trailer I asked about the warranty- basically it covered little. Unless the trailer folded up in the middle, it didn't cover squat.  So if you're concerned about the warranty- make sure you fully understand it- don't assume it will cover a ding or dent, leaks etc...it might not. You might find that after its all over and done, it may or may not be worth it. I bought a used trailer without warranty- no problems and quite frankly, I wasn't concerned.  

texasjewel
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-03 5:45 PM (#28839 - in reply to #28820)

New User

We have a 2004 Sundowner Sunlite 727 with a Trailblazer V Living Quarters Pkg. We love the trailer, have had no major complaints with anything on it, however now that we are taking week long horse trips, we are looking to trade it in for something bigger.  It is the perfect size for overnight or weekend trips.  The horse area is very well made and feels very solid. We have the drop down feed doors with separate bars so you can travel w/the windows down.  The loading lights with external switches are a great feature.  The only thing on the horse area I would change are the rear door latches.  The newer latches on other model trailers are easier to use, I think.  We used our warranty once to get minor things fixed in the living area (reglue the wall mouldings in a couple of places).  Absolutely no problem getting anything done, 3yr. bumper to hitch warranty means what it says.  The warranty should be transferable.  We would upgrade to another Sundowner, but their prices seem way over other manufacturers with similar quality.  We pull ours with a 3/4 T Chevy Diesel which hardly knows the trailer is there, so I can't comment on your truck's capability.
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-08-03 5:54 PM (#28840 - in reply to #28820)

Regular

I looked at a lot of trailers before I bought my 1997 all aluminum Sundowner two horse slant and what feature I most like about it, is that there is no middle bar where the doors come together in the back. Most of the trailers I looked at either had a fixed bar or a removable bar that took two hands to deal with. With mine, you can collapse the tack door while hanging on to the horse since there's no bar to deal with. Also, my saddle rack does swing out, so you can totally collapse the door flat to the wall, which gives a nervous or not so easy loader a huge opening. One more thing about my all aluminum Sundowner is that evern though it's 8 years old, it still looks like new.

This Sundowner was my second GN slant that I had ever bought and now that I have a little more experience and information, there are things that I would want my next trailer to have that this one doesn't. A)Next time I would buy a trailer with Drop down windows that have seperate bars. When I drop mine, the bars stay with the window, so I have to put up mesh screens to keep the horses heads from sticking too far out the window when I'm going down the road.  B) I would like an escape door, which mine doesn't have. C) My trailer has built in mangers for both horses which I don't really like. It takes up too much horse space, so my next trailer will not have that. (Because of the built in mangers, it's harder for a horse to turn around if he doesn't back out well and they are just a bit more cramped.) Mine do fine, but you never know when I may get a horse that doesn't like to back out. I think those are the only major changes I would do. My budget was limited, so I was not able to buy the perfect trailer this time around, but maybe next time.

Anyway, good luck and do lot's of research before you take the plunge.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-03 7:38 PM (#28844 - in reply to #28835)

Expert

Do you have english or western tack?  60/40 doors on a trailer that wide means for a narrow rear tack which could be a problem for the larger western saddles.  I prefer 60/40 for the larger stall entry though.  As for brands, between the 2, I'd go with the Sundowner brand but I also prefer all aluminum trailers.  I guess it's a toss up.
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-04 11:23 AM (#28872 - in reply to #28820)

Veteran

Well, apparently the Sundowner is a 2002, not a 2004 like it was originally listed and confirmed to me on the phone.      Makes me a little nervous about what else might change.

Anyway, I am going to look at new models of both this weekend to compare 2005 prices, features, quality, workmanship, design, etc. and that should help me decide not only which one will work best for me but which is the best value for the price. With both these trailers being 150+ miles away, I want to have most of my questions answered before I drive that far to look.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and opinions. They really do help !!!

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-04 10:54 PM (#28892 - in reply to #28835)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Champhorse on 2005-08-03 1:12 PM

Any opinions on the 60 / 40 doors verses the 50 / 50 ? What about the swing out saddle rack verses the set saddle rack ? 

I personally like the 50/50 doors. My horses have no problems getting in or out. If I absolutely needed a bigger area to load a horse, I could open the the left door, pull the pins on the rear tack walls, swing the saddle rack out and open it up for the horse. After 5 years and different horses, I have never had to do this. I have big western saddles and the bigger tack door makes it easier. Also I love the swing out saddle racks. There would be no way I could get one of my westerns saddles in there, especially on the top rack if they didn't swing out.

marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-06 4:46 PM (#28934 - in reply to #28820)

Regular

I have a 2 horse Keifer. It has 60/40 doors. My western saddles fit fine in the tack area. It is collaspable, but I've never had to do it. Mine is alum/steel. It's my first trailer (well, I had a stock trailer before this one), so I don't know how it compares to other brands. We use it on weekends and day rides. We also have a 1/2 ton truck and it pulls (and stops) really well. Good luck on choosing one. We like ours, we weren't picky on brands, this one fit our budget and already had what we wanted in the LQ.
JakeB
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-08 11:07 AM (#28964 - in reply to #28934)

We have a 2003 Starlite Silver Star with LQ, and we just sold it to my in laws.  We go weekend camping alot with the horses and all of our friends have other brands of trailers such as Sundowner, Featherlite, and Keiferbuilt.  I do like the fact that in the july/august heat that our silver star was insulated in both the lq and horse area.  compared to the sundowner and featherlite, inside the trailers  was incredibly hotter than our silverstar was.  the keifer was similar to ours but I cannot understand why sundowner dont insulate their horse area with roof insulation.  I would say there is a 20 degree difference.
Horsehead41
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 5:26 PM (#29061 - in reply to #28820)

I'm pretty sure the other writer is right about the Sundowner warranty being transferable. There is a fee, not sure how much, around $100 I think. I'd contact a dealer or call the factory to be sure. Also, IMHO, I'd go with 50/50 rear doors with folding tack. Half the trailer should be plenty wide enough for any trained horse and gives you more room for gear and such in the tack. Being able to fold up the tack is a good thing when you are schooling a young horse to load.Just my 2 cents.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)