'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need help with first purchase

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-04 12:17 PM
6 replies, 7288 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lasnider
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-01 6:21 PM (#28758)
Subject: Need help with first purchase

New User

I've been researching trailers for a first time purchase and have basically gotten information overload.

What I'd like is an aluminum, extra tall, extra wide, 2 horse, bumper pull, straight load with dressing/tack compartment.  I think that's all the necessary info.

The Sundowner 777 fits the bill, and I have friends who use them, but I have also seen similar models from other manufacturers with various feature and price differences.  The Featherlite 9406, for example is almost the same.  I've also seen a similar Trail Et model.

Then there's the used verses new question.  I've seen ads for used Sundowner 777's--a 1997 model for $8000 and a 2003 model for $9950.  Also know of a new 2004 model Featherlite for $10500.

I'm sure there are other manufacturers I haven't even considered, so I thought I'd see if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

Lori

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-08-01 10:59 PM (#28765 - in reply to #28758)
Subject: RE: Need help with first purchase

Extreme Veteran

I'll ring the Silver Star bell.  I have one and LOVE it!
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-02 6:57 AM (#28773 - in reply to #28758)

Extreme Veteran

A 1997 trailer for $8000 vs a 2003 for $9950. What does that tell you about resale?

I have an Exiss Event trailer and love it, am very happy with it.

Ask your friends what they think of their trailers.

Good luck!

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-02 10:22 AM (#28777 - in reply to #28758)

Veteran

I have also been looking at trailers and I can tell you that resale on Sundowners is great. If this is a trailer you are planning on having for less than 10 years and then upgrading, you will not lose a whole lot of money on a Sundowner. The other brands I have found around this area that retain value well are Sooner, Hart, 4 Star, Platinum Coach, Keifer, and there are a few others that I know I am forgetting. I think because everyone in Texas has a BIG TRUCK, the appeal of Featherlite is not as great in this area although they do OK on retaining value and I think it is a good product. I have seen various other brands who have recently burst onto the market around here and are well made trailers, however I don't see many for resale yet to know how they will hold value. Another thing to remember is where the local dealership is located. A few of the newer brands don't have dealers within 50 or 100 miles of the Ft. Worth area.

Good luck in your search. Hope you find exactly what you're looking for.
lasnider
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-02 5:07 PM (#28789 - in reply to #28758)

New User

I plan to use the trailer for at least 10 years.  We have a Suburban and 3 children, so goosenecks aren't an option ;-)

I'm going back and forth on Sundowner 777 vs. Featherlite 9407.

Pros on the Featherlite:  a little cheaper, a little lighter, escape through mangers vs doors on each side

Pros on Sundowner:  ramp and pocket doors on rear (safer loading and can leave pockets open for ventilation in Texas heat)

I also haven't seen many Featherlites for resale around here.  I do have dealers for both manufacturers at about 50 miles away.

Thanks for the input.

Lori

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-04 11:31 AM (#28873 - in reply to #28758)

Veteran

Do both of the trailers have the tack storage under the mangers ? If not, I would definitely lean towards the one that DOESN'T have it or see if you could get an additional saddle rack added on the wall. My last trailer had under manger saddle racks and it turned out to be a big inconvenience with western saddles. A friend of mine has a 4-Star Straight Load with walk through to the DR. She LOVES the walk through feature but also wrestles with the under manger saddle racks. Just thought I would throw that out there.
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-04 12:17 PM (#28874 - in reply to #28789)

Extreme Veteran

I like Featherlite trailers.  With a suburban I would go with a light wieght trailer to save wieght capacity for your cargo.  Every little bit counts.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)