'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Removing/Replacing Pinstriping on Mill Finish Aluminum Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-05 12:58 PM
4 replies, 6553 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kczarick
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-01 3:22 PM (#28751)
Subject: Removing/Replacing Pinstriping on Mill Finish Aluminum Trailer

I just bought a '96 mill finish aluminum Silver Star.  It is in great shape, but desperately needs to be acid-washed.  The pinstriping was inconsistent in condition.  Some (most) was cracked and faded and it was a shade of red that I don't really care for, so hubby and I figured we'd remove it before the acid washing, then buff it as much as possible, and if the "shadowing" where the tape had been was still highly visible, we'd just replace it with new pinstriping.

Well...easier said than done.  We tried heating and plastic putty knife, Goof Off, acetone, aircraft remover, adhesiver remover sprays, and the top tape came off pretty easily, but the adhesive remained and the only thing that worked --  a Brillo Pad!  We were only removing the stripes in the grooves of the extruded aluminum, so the scratches are not noticeable, but the gooseneck is smooth and has a ton of pinstriping (probably over 100' and some of it 2" wide).  We're scared to attempt to remove it.  I really want to get rid of it.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm a bit nervous about taking it to a car detailing place, and have no idea what having it professionally done would cost. 

Any suggestions?  Any recommendations of a shop in the NE Georgia area?

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-01 3:31 PM (#28752 - in reply to #28751)
Subject: RE: Removing/Replacing Pinstriping on Mill Finish Aluminum Trailer

Veteran

I've read that some people debadge decals on auto vehicles with a heat gun (maybe a hair dryer might be hot enough) and a piece of fine fishing line used like dental floss. Never tried it so this may be a stupid idea.
Barry
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-01 8:12 PM (#28761 - in reply to #28751)

Expert

Ahhh yes, the difference between heat and temperature.
A hair dryer is HOT enough and will work well on thin sheet steel(cars) or thick fibreglass(boats).

A "HEAT GUN" runs at about the same temperature, but puts out more heat, so is better able to raise the temperature of the THICKER and BETTER CONDUCTING aluminum. Thick aluminum will conduct heat away so fast that it will basically stay cool under a hair dryer.

Somebody with one of those JC Whitney temperature sensing gun thangs can probably verify this...

PS what the heck is "aircraft remover" ? it sounds like a stealth weapon of some sort - you got clearance for that ? (-:

{I put Spot remover on my dog... nevermind}
kczarick
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-02 6:03 AM (#28771 - in reply to #28751)

Aircraft Remover -- made me laugh, too.  It's a product from Klean Strip we found at Pep Boys.  Guess it's supposed to take the pinstriping off of planes, if not remove them from radar detection -- which, by the way, would be easier than getting the %&*#$ pinstripe adhesive off this trailer.

Interesting point about the heat gun and temps, and hubby is an environment engineer with a local university and has a bunch of neat toys, including temp sensors and even an infrared camera.

Yep, I tried the spot remover on my appy to no avail, either.

Thanks, and I'll forward your message about the heat gun to my husband.  May be worth a try.

kweld
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-05 12:58 PM (#28902 - in reply to #28751)

New User

go to a parts store and get a 3M Stripe off wheel
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'