'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need trailer buying advise please.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-01 6:03 PM
8 replies, 3906 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

keld
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-29 9:55 AM (#28678)
Subject: Need trailer buying advise please.

New User

Hi,

I'm new to the whole trailering experience and was looking for advise on a choice I need to make purchasing a trailer.

With an approximate 10k budget and the need to move 4 horses and possibly do overnighters with them I've found 2 that interest me.  My concern would be usability and resale value (in case I figure out I need more or less trailer in the near future)

The first is an 92 Sundowner Exectutive for sale by an individual with a wooden floor and appears to be very clean.  She says it has an alumimum skin, steel frame?

Picture links.
http://westgeorgiaranch.com/Trailer/trailer1.jpg
http://westgeorgiaranch.com/Trailer/trailer2.jpg
http://westgeorgiaranch.com/Trailer/trailer3.jpg
http://westgeorgiaranch.com/Trailer/trailer4.jpg
http://westgeorgiaranch.com/Trailer/trailer5.jpg

The 2nd choice is a 97 Sooner Stock Combo 4horse slant sold by a dealer.  Unfortunatly I have no photo's.  It's an alumimum trailer with 3 drop down windows on the side (the 4th window just opens for air, metal floor, no ceiling vents for the horses, and one big door in the rear that opens to the side.  Dressing room with AC and storage box.  Collapsable tack in the rear. 

This trailer is in alot rougher shape than the first but it being newer and all metal, I was wondering if it would be a better deal?  The AC is appealing too since we live in the south, but I should be able to add it to the first trailer.

What do you guys think.  All opinions Welcome!

Edited by keld 2005-07-29 9:57 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-29 10:23 AM (#28680 - in reply to #28678)
Subject: RE: Need trailer buying advise please.

Expert

That sundowner is all steel and thus will be slower to sell later.  I love my steel trailer but that's not the direction the market has turned, take note.  The Sooner sounds like it would be easier to resell later.  You have to determine which trailer you like/want more and only you can judge the real condition of the trailers in question.  Lots of folks will give you great things to look for and think about with each trailer but keep in mind ITS YOUR MONEY!
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-07-29 11:14 AM (#28682 - in reply to #28678)

Veteran

My boyfriend has the same Sundowner and we haven't had the first problem with it...It cleans very easily, pulls like a dream, and the horses like the roominess. Also, I don't know if you are aware, but the outside ties for the horses are all on the curb side of the trailer...this is helpful in camping situations where you may have an awning off the other side (where your LQ door is). I couldn't know about the stock you are looking at particularily but mine has two ties on each side...very inconvenient when saddling.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-29 11:21 AM (#28683 - in reply to #28678)

Extreme Veteran

Dang, that Sundowner is in excellent shape and from the description of the Sooner, I would go with the Sundowner. But remember, appearances on the outside can be decieving! So be sure to check out the electrical,  brakes, wheel bearings, hinges on doors/windows, floor and tire wear on the Sundowner especially because of its age. From the pics it looks like the owner has fixed it up a bit for potential buyers.  The Sundowner has roof vents for each horse unlike the Sooner and living down south, your horses will appreciate that extra air coming in.

You say the Sooner is newer but in rougher shape than the first trailer. That may mean many things even if it is all aluminum and a '97 vs. ally/steel and a '92. If it is a stock/combo it may have hauled not only horses but cattle as well and cows sure can take their toll on a trailer. With an aluminum floor, be sure to check it out for any "white rust" or holes or pitting. Replacing an aluminum floor is more money out of your checkbook than replacing a wood floor.

If you are hesitant about either trailer move on. There are many more out there!

Good luck!

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-29 12:59 PM (#28691 - in reply to #28678)

Veteran

The Sundowner looks like an awesome deal. Although both trailers are very quality brands, I would go for the enclosed trailer over a stock trailer any day (and resale value for fully enclosed is higher than a stock). First, your horses will not be as exposed to the elements in an enclosed trailer. Second, the trailer will stay cleaner if it is enclosed. My friends have a slant with the slat wall on the butt side and they cannot keep shavings or straw on the floor because it rains into their trailer. Also, they now have wasps nests inside the trailer and have found 1 dead mouse. Another friend has a bird's nest inside her stock trailer. They both literally have to clean their trailers on the inside every time the use them. I can't even imagine what fun it would be if you loaded your horses and then discovered the wasp's nest.
Anyway, just my opinion but I would go for the Sundowner.
janna@toec
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-29 2:54 PM (#28695 - in reply to #28678)

New User

I think I may have something that you may be interested in.  Also keep in mind that steel and aluminum do not always corrospond well together.  If you can go the all aluminum route then you will have less weight (which will help with fuel milage), better resale, less problems, etc.  Just because the trailer looks good on the out side what does the structure which is the main thing to be concerned about look like? Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns and maybe a possible trailer for you to look at. jcarlton@trailerseast.com
keld
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-01 12:56 PM (#28749 - in reply to #28678)

New User

Thanks for all the advise.  I ended up going with the Sundowner :)
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-01 3:58 PM (#28753 - in reply to #28695)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by janna@toec on 2005-07-29 3:54 PM

I think I may have something that you may be interested in.  Also keep in mind that steel and aluminum do not always corrospond well together.  If you can go the all aluminum route then you will have less weight (which will help with fuel milage), better resale, less problems, etc.  Just because the trailer looks good on the out side what does the structure which is the main thing to be concerned about look like? Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns and maybe a possible trailer for you to look at. jcarlton@trailerseast.com[/QUOTE]

Janna,

First, with an electrical current electrolysis could occur. But what we keep talking about on our horse trailers is not true electrolysis. It is Galvanic corrosion, where water acts as the electrolyte solution. In a dry situation you will not see this, such as in your electrical panel in your house where they use a steel box and aluminum conductive blocks. So where is the electrolysis in that then you might ask, there is none because there is no electrolyte or STRAY current. Anyway, galvanic corrosion only occurs when you have the electrolyte present. It's the same at home with steel waterlines and brass fittings, they use plastic washers to keep them from touching. There are too many people that get scared off buying something because of BIG words that are misspoken. ANy trailer can be junk if you don't take care of it.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-01 6:03 PM (#28756 - in reply to #28753)

Expert

Originally written by efaubert1 on 2005-08-01 4:58 PM

Originally written by janna@toec on 2005-07-29 3:54 PM

I think I may have something that you may be interested in.  Also keep in mind that steel and aluminum do not always corrospond well together.  If you can go the all aluminum route then you will have less weight (which will help with fuel milage), better resale, less problems, etc.  Just because the trailer looks good on the out side what does the structure which is the main thing to be concerned about look like? Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns and maybe a possible trailer for you to look at. jcarlton@trailerseast.com[/QUOTE]

Janna,

First, with an electrical current electrolysis could occur. But what we keep talking about on our horse trailers is not true electrolysis. It is Galvanic corrosion, where water acts as the electrolyte solution. In a dry situation you will not see this, such as in your electrical panel in your house where they use a steel box and aluminum conductive blocks. So where is the electrolysis in that then you might ask, there is none because there is no electrolyte or STRAY current. Anyway, galvanic corrosion only occurs when you have the electrolyte present. It's the same at home with steel waterlines and brass fittings, they use plastic washers to keep them from touching. There are too many people that get scared off buying something because of BIG words that are misspoken. ANy trailer can be junk if you don't take care of it.

well said efaubert1

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)