'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Nissan Frontier for towing horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-28 10:22 PM
4 replies, 11252 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

peteretwo
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-28 6:08 PM (#28658)
Subject: Nissan Frontier for towing horse trailer

New User

my wife just bought a paint (16.2 hands). we're not able to get a 1/2 ton truck due to size restrictions.  So, I'm looking at a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab that's has a GVWR of 5690 and max tow of 6300 lbs.  Would this truck work for a single trailer + horse + tack?  Have never trailered a horse, so any help would be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-28 7:41 PM (#28659 - in reply to #28658)
Subject: RE: Nissan Frontier for towing horse trailer

Expert

Welcome to the forum ...

To fully answer your question, you need to supply a bit more info.

How much does the loaded trailer weigh?  It will have to be less than the 6300 pounds. 

Ask the dealer what equipment is required to tow the 6300 pounds ... WDH,  transmission cooler, etc

Properly equiped, sounds like you could manage a horse trailer.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-28 8:24 PM (#28660 - in reply to #28658)

Expert

welcome, the short answer is.....yes.

youll need more specifics of course, but if youre refering to a new model frontier it will have no problem. like mentioned already, make sure it has all required opitions to make the max tow rating  and you can be assured a weight distriubting hitch will be required to meet the max, be sure to budget for that. also remember youll need a brake controller, prodigy by tekonosha will be mentioned as favorite quite frequently. there is also a book that always is mentioned, by cherry hill(?), about trailering youll want to look into, as well as finding someone to physically give some pointers.

as to numbers, figure maybe 2800#, for a 2 horse BP, 1200# for the horse, and 300# for tack and thats only 4300# which is well under the mysterious "80% of the tow capacity for saftey with horses" that is sure to make an appearance.

much to the chagrin of some on this board, ive been towing with a 2002 chevy trailblazer for several years. these two vehicles(trailblazer and frontier) are very similar in size, weight, and engine. ive recently upgraded my trailer to a 2 horse slant with dressing room, loaded with my 2 horses and tack the trailer comes in around 6000#, right at the max tow limit(maybe over if i eat a big breakfast). i use a prodigy brake controller,

http://rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=60&cat=0&page=

and an equal-i-zer hitch,

http://rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=268&cat=0&page=1

the trailer does not sway and stops just like a 10000# rig should. being on that side of the country, if you end up in the mountains(we only have hills over here) you may find yourself underpowered. im not to impressed with mine in the "mountains" over here. on the flat or rolling hills its got plenty though.

good luck and be safe.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-07-28 8:28 PM
peteretwo
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-28 10:15 PM (#28665 - in reply to #28660)

New User

Hello Chadsalt~

Many thx for taking the time to reply in such detail. Yep, I'm looking at the '05 Frontier which has the new expanded 265 HP engine, which is the only reason I would consider it.  Will take you up on your suggestions.

Kind Regards & God Bless

Pete

peteretwo
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-28 10:22 PM (#28666 - in reply to #28659)

New User

Hello Hosspuller~

The closest I can come to total weight (horse, trailer, tack) is around 4500 to 4800 lbs.  This should be well within the specs of 6300 when the Frontier comes equip with factory tow package.  Wouldn't be considering it except Nissan upped the HP to 265 and torque to 284.

Kind Regards & God Bless~

Pete

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World