'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
"Gold as the Sun" Coat Enhancement Supplement - any comments??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-06 8:25 PM
11 replies, 11830 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-27 9:54 PM (#28631)
Subject: "Gold as the Sun" Coat Enhancement Supplement - any comments??

Regular

Anyone ever use "Gold as the Sun" or "Black as Knight" color enhancing supplement.  It sounds like it is more effective warding off "sunburn" or fading from the sun.  I have a palomino mare who is inside during the day and turned out at night. Once a beautiful gold, old age and other health problems (cushings - I have to clip her every month or so) have turned her to a mousy gray except her head and on either side of her tail which are her original gold - she looks like a palomino-roan! 

Does this stuff work?  Does it seem to stimulate hair growth? - with the cushings, her coat doesn't need to grow any faster or heavier.  Thanks for any feedback

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rooster69
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-28 9:06 AM (#28645 - in reply to #28631)
Subject: RE: "Gold as the Sun" Coat Enhancement Supplement - any comments??

I tried the "Black As Knight" and from my experience it was a waste of money. It did nothing as far as I could tell. It may work on some horses, but it did not work on mine.

PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-28 3:48 PM (#28655 - in reply to #28631)

Regular

I have to agree with Rooster69. I used BAK on my black horse and my deep liver chestnut horse.

My black horse still bleached to a dark bay and my Liver chestnut is now a mottled bleached blonde.

I've learned that my black horse does not carry a true black gene. Horses that are born coal black stay that way and the BAK enhancer may help. Black horses like mine are born mouse gray, change to black and bleach to brown in the sun.

It did put a nice shine on their coats, but then my Bay and my Sorrel have a good shine without any additives.

Sorry to say, but please save your money. I've had folks tell me that plain old Hungarian Paprika works just as well. Paprika is the base of BAK but I don't know how much was fed.

Night time turnouts and the paprika will probably work but make sure you know how much protein you're feeding per dose.

Cheval Int'l said I could up the intake of Black-As-Knight to as much as I wanted. After reading the guaranteed analysis, I thought they must be nuts. The protein % is way high per tablespoon. If you need to know, I will look when I get home from work.
Judy
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-28 8:33 PM (#28661 - in reply to #28631)

Expert

Coat color enhancers don't work. You can feed correctly but if your horse has bad hair you can't make it great. Bad to OK, OK to good and sometimes really good to great. You can't feed a loser into a champion...

PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-29 6:14 AM (#28671 - in reply to #28631)

Regular

huntseat, you said: "You can't feed a loser into a champion"

You should completely read a post before imparting your pearls of wisdom.

grayland's horse is far from a loser.  It's an elder horse with health issues, including cushings, and grayland obviously cares enough about the horse to try and give it the best care possible instead of sending it to the glue factory.

grayland, I don't know where you live and I don't know your feelings regarding alternative approaches to horse health care.  I am a HUGE proponent of alternative methods in conjunction with traditional methods. 

That being said, have you considered acupuncture for your horse?  My alternative practioner is a DVM.  She performs chiropractics, massage, and acupuncture.  She recently acupunctured my 12 year old horse for a low grade kidney infection.  He's like a new horse, mentally and physically (the hives he was getting from summer allergies completely disappeared.)

Also, BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds, yep, bird seed) is excellent for weight gain and keeping a shine on the coat.  However, based on your comment regarding the mare's health, I wouldn't put that in her feed until I spoke with a vet or an alternative health person.

Hope this helps you

Judy

Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-29 9:51 AM (#28677 - in reply to #28631)

I don't think that huntseat meant it like that. Huntseat, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought she just meant a little feed isn't going to perform miracles.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-29 10:16 AM (#28679 - in reply to #28631)

Expert

Judy, and why didn't you take your own advice?  Don't get your panties in a wad...I didn't state her horse was a loser. You are new here and that's great but you don't read stuff like that into others posts. You can't change a horse with feed, beyond a few degrees of normal for that animal. You won't feed a donkey and have it turn into Seabiscuit...there you like that better?

Edited by huntseat 2005-07-29 10:19 AM
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-29 11:12 AM (#28681 - in reply to #28631)

Regular

"can't change a horse with feed, beyond a few degrees of normal for that animal"

1. I agree with that comment and that's probably how things should have been said in the first place, instead of inferring the horse is a loser.

It doesn't matter in what  manner the word "loser" was intended, and it doesn't matter whether I'm a new person on this message board, the word "loser" infers just that --- a loser.

2.  I most certainly did take my own advice.  The past tense of all the verbs relating to BAK indicate that, but to clarify:

Once I saw there was nothing magical about BAK and my horses were still going to bleach in the summer sun, I quit using it.

Judy

grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-30 10:28 PM (#28725 - in reply to #28631)

Regular

Take it easy guys.  I know what you meant - no offense taken  Believe me, if I could pour the supplements and super-feed to her I would, but due to her cushings, or cushing-like symptoms, I have to keep her on a very small amount of low starch feed and some average hay to try to get her weight down and keep the founder potential under control.  She is also on Lamina-saver, which is a new wonder-supplement for laminitis, ring bone, etc., that has been helping her lameness, but the manufacturer doesn't divulge ingredients - this makes it even harder to try to figure out what is safe to give her.

Actually, this mare has all the classic cushings symtoms - long, non-shedding coat, cresty neck, fat rolls (though she was always an easy-keeper), then she came up lame this spring, so we assumed founder.  My farrier put on shoes and pads, and had the vet run blood tests, but initial tests did not indicate cushings.  On her last shoe reset, my farrier said her feet did not show any indication that she had foundered.  I had her x-rayed and she shows no rotation of her coffin bones - the good news.  The bad news is that she does show development of ring-bone, which doesn't have a very good prognosis, either.

Regarding alternative treatments, I too, am a great believer in the holistic approach to some health problems.  I, myself, had 2 herniated discs in my back, and I owe much of my recovery to a great accupuncture doctor.  We are fortunate in the area to have a great accupuncture/chiropractic vet - I contacted him when we first thought her problem was cushings/founder, but he didn't have much in his bag of tricks (or box of needles!) to treat either problem.  I haven't contacted him since I found out about the ring bone, but plan to, though I doubt he can do much beyond offering some pain control.

The mare's a real sweetheart, and I had hoped to team her up with my daughter for a couple of years for Walk-trot.  I'm trying to do the best for her that I can, and she does seem to be improving.  My vet is very pleased with her progress and thinks it would be OK for my daughter to start riding her a little bit. 

Thanks for your feedback on the Gold As Sun.  I had my doubts about it from the first time I saw its claims, but hey,  who out there thougt 20 years ago we'ld be getting chiropractic adjustments and accupuncture done on our horse?!

Happy trails!

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-31 2:43 PM (#28738 - in reply to #28631)

Expert

Grayland, this might seem like an odd question but what breed is your horse and what bloodlines does she come from?  I've seen some similar issues with Morgan's around here and it nearly always boils down to THYROID.  Have you had her checked?
grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-02 9:35 PM (#28800 - in reply to #28631)

Regular

She's a quarter horse - nothing famous in her bloodlines.  I had her thyroid checked and it was normal. 
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-08-06 8:25 PM (#28939 - in reply to #28631)

Veteran

I'm feeding my horses flax seed. I grind it up and feed my black & white about 4 Tbl. and the others 2 Tbl. once or twice a day. I'm really pleased how it's keeping their color and keeping a nice shine on them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)