'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
pictures are online of packing bearings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-28 9:43 AM
8 replies, 3495 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 11:06 AM (#28604)
Subject: pictures are online of packing bearings

Veteran

My brake/hub saga continues, but now there are pictures on my webpages - there is a page for taking them apart and a page for putting them back together.

http://www.redwrench.com/trailswest/default.htm

This last brake I pulled apart is a real doozie.  I don't think the sucker EVER worked.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-27 11:45 AM (#28605 - in reply to #28604)
Subject: RE: pictures are online of packing bearings

Extreme Veteran

Nice job on the bearing repack! One thing I will say on preload from my experience is there is different spec. between new and used bearings. I've done it myself and had it professionally(?) done. I through experience find most bearing repack profesionals use no preload on used bearings.Even the new trailers I have bought appear to be done this way. I over tighten the nut and rotate the hub to seat everything then loosen the nut.  Finger tighten the nut while I rattle & rotate the hub. Then back it off to the closest cotter pin alignment. A bit to tight is a lot worse than a bit loose! With the wheel mounted and off the ground if you hit the wheel there should be a very slight rattle...like it is loose. I have lost bearings with preload. None with the method described. Thats my way but I would like to hear from others on the subject...

Edited by xyzer 2005-07-27 11:52 AM
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 4:35 PM (#28613 - in reply to #28605)

Veteran

Thanks!

That's exactly the way I preloaded mine...  I was just too lazy to type it all up this morning.  What's the other way of preloading them?

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Edited by NoSpam 2005-07-27 4:45 PM
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-27 9:13 PM (#28627 - in reply to #28604)

Extreme Veteran

Michelle,

Timken bearings(tapered roller bearings) in machinery, rearends etc. usually spec a preload which means you tighten the nut on the bearing until it takes a set number of inch pounds to rotate it...you preload the bearing. Also they usually run in oil not grease. The way we did it there is no preload..they are really loose or no load..but they also run in just grease...One thing I did notice in your pitcures was the gloves! (this is kinda picking the fly sh** out of the pepper!). I kinda like that idea...that is the part I hate about packing bearings...but.. you can't feel dirt or grit as well as the bare hand! It is amazing how sensitive our hands are....the gloves kind of numb our feel...Like I said not a big deal ...I may even try it! 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-27 9:50 PM (#28630 - in reply to #28604)

Expert

Nice job.
Coupla nits I found to pick at (-:

a) If you're going to re-use the inner bearings DO NOT knock them out onto the ground. Sure, you'll wash all the old grease out, but you don't want ANY grit in there even for a moment.
b) You might want a pic or a description of how you packed grease into the rollers - you did, right ?

I'm a bit surprised that you didn't replace the rollers or races, though I'm not sure if I would have JUST as a matter of course.

BTW, you know to NOT spin dry bearings to hear how they sound ?
Yes ?

Re pre-load: I don't because I just about never have a pre-load spec and it is almost always safe to finger tighten FIRMLY, then back off a nut flat.
Re new cotter pins: YES, just about any retainer that is bent to hold itself or something else in place should be used only once. Spring retainers are different in this regard and I do like the recent Dexter retainers.

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 10:45 PM (#28632 - in reply to #28630)

Veteran

a. Point taken, I will knock them onto cardboard next time. :-)  It would have been disappointing to do everything right the first time. :-)))

b. Yes, I packed them.  Found a good resource on the web of how to work in the grease from the bottom until it starts coming out of the top between each of the rollers sort of like toothpaste looks as it comes out of the tube.  Couldn't get a picture though, because both hands were tooooo greasy to touch the camera.

The rollers & races have looked good so far.  Had my brother check them for me.  It didn't occur to me to spin them for the accoustics. :-)

Thanks for the comments, Reg.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 10:51 PM (#28633 - in reply to #28627)

Veteran

Thanks XYZER, good to know about prepacking.

Re: gloves, that's true.  I was trying to get pictures, and being able to pull them off between steps was very helpful. :-)

Is it reasonable to use a compressor to clean off the dried bearings?  I saw info that it's bad to make them spin, but can they be carefully cleaned with air before re-packing?

Is there something really great for cleaning old grease off of the rotor surface?  I have brake cleaner...  Last time I scrubbed it off with hot water and Dawn, blasted it with the pressure washer, then dried it.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-28 1:04 AM (#28634 - in reply to #28633)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by NoSpam on 2005-07-27 10:51 PM

Thanks XYZER, good to know about prepacking.

Re: gloves, that's true.  I was trying to get pictures, and being able to pull them off between steps was very helpful. :-)

Is it reasonable to use a compressor to clean off the dried bearings?  I saw info that it's bad to make them spin, but can they be carefully cleaned with air before re-packing?

Is there something really great for cleaning old grease off of the rotor surface?  I have brake cleaner...  Last time I scrubbed it off with hot water and Dawn, blasted it with the pressure washer, then dried it.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Air compresser is a plus ....clean in solvent then blow off...clean again. The steel in bearings is very hard if you bang hard metal to hard metal it can damage or chip the surfaces ..you would have to really spin them up to hurt them but you can control the air angle to let it do a slow turn .Then put it in a clean race and turn the Inside outside hold them to your ear listen and feel for a big tick tick....or clunk clunk you may want to look it over and clean it again.

Cleaning the hubs....I keep solvent around...but your method is fine....probably cleaner! solvent is a bit more oily. Did you at least write down the bearing & seal #'s or better yet carry a packed set in a baggie...on your maiden tow feel your hubs for a hot one. 

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-28 9:43 AM (#28646 - in reply to #28634)

Veteran

Good deal, Xyzer.  I like the idea of having an extra set of bearings and a seal on hand in my trailer toolbox.  Things never break down when the parts store is open or nearby.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World