'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ramp is wrong color.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-09 9:18 PM
3 replies, 2943 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-07-22 8:46 PM (#28468)
Subject: Ramp is wrong color.

Regular

I had a used ramp put on my trailer....however, the ramp is the "Sundowner" white skinned and my trailer is the "Sundowner" aluminum color.  If I use paint remover..will it take the white off and leave the aluminum color or should I repaint it or use something else to remove the color?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-22 11:03 PM (#28474 - in reply to #28468)
Subject: RE: Ramp is wrong color.

Veteran

Can you test the paint remover somewhere inconspicuous?

Could you rivet on aluminum diamond plate or the like to come up with a nice looking solution?  I am eventually going to cover some of my trailers cosmetic uglies with diamond plate.

Hmmm, my friend riveted a brushed aluminum sheet on the front of her trailer for a gravel guard (it looks nice), maybe you could do something with a matching aluminum sheet if you don't want to spend the $$ to have it re-skinned by a welder.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Horsehead41
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 4:44 PM (#29056 - in reply to #28468)

It will be tough to take the paint off and make it match the rest of the trailer. I might try painting it a silver color or leave it for a while and see if it really bothers you that much. You see a lot of white skin on doors and the goosenecks of trailers with extruded sides, etc.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-09 9:18 PM (#29068 - in reply to #28468)

Expert

Originally written by ISHOM on 2005-07-22 8:46 PM

I had a used ramp put on my trailer....however, the ramp is the "Sundowner" white skinned and my trailer is the "Sundowner" aluminum color. If I use paint remover..will it take the white off and leave the aluminum color or should I repaint it or use something else to remove the color?

MOST mill finish aluminum has some sort of a pattern stamped into it, e.g. waves, ripples, diamond plate, etc. If you strip the paint from a white skin you will have a plain sheet of aluminum, perhaps shinney, perhaps dull, almost certainly looking worse than the white paint you have now.
If I wanted to do it I would be sure to find a paint stripper that won't eat aluminum, failing that I'd use "mechanical means", most probably a wire brush and then an orbital sander to polish out the deep scratches and leave a pseudo random mill finish.
BTW, if it is only held on with a few rivets you might find that the back is "milled" and just flipping it over will produce the appearance you want - or convince you that the white is OK afterall.
I wouldn't bother, following drivers probably won't complain and it faces the ground when the trailer is stopped and you actually USE it.

Edited by Reg 2005-08-09 9:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)