'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New here, Looking for info on 3 trailer brands

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-02 11:46 AM
10 replies, 4295 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

js1arab
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-21 4:44 PM (#28394)
Subject: New here, Looking for info on 3 trailer brands

New User

Hello, I sure wish I'd found this place sooner I am hoping after 14 years of waiting to get a new trailer this fall. There a only a couple dealers within a reasonable distance so it's hard to just go and look. Of course every trailer looks good in it's ads. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 although after reading the post on CM I might have to rethink and look at them again as well. I'd love to find out good, bad and ugly on Kiefer Built, American Spirit and Logan. I am interested in the alum or alum w/steel frame models. I had thought I was going with the Keifer trailers as they have a dealer about 5 hours from us, but I saw one at a show the other day that was approx 4-5 yrs old and it had spots all over the rear doors where the metal was eaten away. Owner said the trailer is kept shedded and it has never seen salt so that kinda worries me. Sorry so long but would sure love to hear from anyone.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-07-21 11:07 PM (#28419 - in reply to #28394)
Subject: RE: New here, Looking for info on 3 trailer brands

Regular

Of the brands you mentioned, I would pick the CM.  I've owned several and they've all been nice trailers.  Spend a little more and get a Platinum!!
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-07-21 11:29 PM (#28420 - in reply to #28394)

Extreme Veteran

I gotta agree with Cindy. After a long search I got a 04 CM Norstar. If you are not in a big hurry, go down to the Equine Affaire in Louisville, Ky. They will have at least 10 manufactures on display for you to go thru. Great way to side by side compare.

Then of coarse you won't want to miss the Pfizer Fantasia at night.

http://www.equineaffaire.com/kentucky_main.html

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-22 5:38 AM (#28421 - in reply to #28394)

Veteran

I personally have an American Spirit. They are great trailers. Well built from the horses standpoint. The human view is pretty good to!! I don't know anything about CM but did look at a few KB's and did not like some features in the horse area. You don't say where in ILL. you are from but, there is a dealer in Bainbridge, IN.(between Terra Haute & Indy) that deals in American Spirits. I think they have KB too. Good Luck!!!
FordLvr
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-22 9:16 AM (#28435 - in reply to #28394)

Go with the CM. Pay the extra money for drop down windows on the curb/horses rump side of the trailer option. On hot humid southern day trips we drop our curb side windows while trailering and the horses get more than enough air to keep them cool with out any danger of debris from the road hitting them in the face/eyes.
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-07-22 9:19 AM (#28436 - in reply to #28394)

Veteran

We're quite happy with our KB.  Well thought-out design features and solidly built.

Not sure about that trailer you mentioned with the spots - anything's possible as far as what splashed, etc.  To some degree, steel is steel and aluminum is aluminum - if exposed to chemicals, things happen, regardless of the brand unless there's a special surface preparation - or so one would think.  Road salt is hard on just about all the materials.  We wash ours on a regular basis to keep that under control.

There's a number of them around the folks we run with - new and old and all have held up well.

In any event, make sure that you've got a good dealer not too far away if you're looking at new/warranty covered trailers.

LAXPatrick

FEATHERONE
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-22 9:47 AM (#28437 - in reply to #28394)

New User

WHAT PART OF IL. ARE YOU FROM? SOUTHERN, NORTHERN, CENTRAL. IF YOU ARE FROM CENTRAL TO SOUTHERN IL. I KNOW A DEALER IN SOUTHEAST MISSOURI THAT WOULD PROBABLY BRING A TRAILER TO YOU TO LOOK AT. 

js1arab
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-31 4:24 PM (#28739 - in reply to #28394)

New User

Thank you all and I am so sorry I didn't reply sooner. I didn't realize that very many would actually take time to reply so I didn't check for a couple days, then got busy with a show and then got thrown by a friends horse so I'm just now getting back on here. I do live in Central IL. If anyone knows of any dealers near here I'd love to hear about them. We are talking about making a road trip this week. I have talked with the Bainbridge dealer and was really impressed with their helpfulness and they are on my list as a possible dealer. Also thinking about Midway trailer sales. If anyone has anymore info that would be great. Thanks again guys!
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-08-01 12:21 AM (#28743 - in reply to #28394)

Veteran

Don't know who you talked to at Bainbridge, but if you call again or go there make sure you talk to Bob Fagg. He's one of the salesmen and really knows his stuff. Very helpful after the sale also. He shopped around and got me the best rate on my loan. This dealership sent me a comment card after I bought a trailer there, wanting to know how their service was and how helpful salesmen were during the buying process.
If you go here tell Bob, Alice from Nashville recommended him and this dealer. Who knows, maybe he'll give you a better deal! Good luck!!!
js1arab
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-01 8:27 AM (#28746 - in reply to #28394)

New User

Thanks Indiana. I did talk to Bob and he is the reason I was considering going over to Indiana. he really did seem knowledgeable and very friendly. When I told him I'd like to stay at 10K or less he didn't even hang up LOL. Most people just want to be done with you if you aren't looking to drop your life savings on a fancy living quarters. Once I get my new trailer I'll have to let you all know what I got and where. Thanks again!
Likke2Rope
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-02 11:46 AM (#28781 - in reply to #28394)

New User

You should go with CM!! My last horse trailer was a cm!! we loved it but had to sell it to get some thing a little bigger to hold all my horses!! the only reason i did ot get another cm trailer is becaus i wanted something used and could not find another cm used close buy!! So good luck!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)