'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
taking my axle apart

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-21 3:16 PM
11 replies, 4163 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-18 2:06 PM (#28196)
Subject: taking my axle apart

Veteran

Hi, I'm taking apart my hubs and brake drums.  First off, I want to learn to do it, second, I want to check the magnets and brake shoes on my trailer.  The brakes don't seem to be working properly.  I have the wheel off and it turns out I have a Hayes Ultra Lube axel.  I can see the cotter pin inside, there is a grease cup over it that appears to be aluminum.   It won't come off easily, so either it's not supposed to come off or I need a tool to help (seems it would have to come off somehow).  Picture attached.  Any suggestions for removing it gently?  I definitely don't want to mangle it...

I did print off the service manual from Dexter, I cannot find a good service manual online for this assembly.  Seems like it's very similar to the AL-KO heavy duty axels?

THANKS in advance!  I will likely be back soon with more questions.  The good thing is I will get a bunch of pictures for my website, so hopefully some other folks can benefit from my axel adventure. :-)

Michelle

Edited by NoSpam 2005-07-21 3:25 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Palmetto
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-18 3:06 PM (#28200 - in reply to #28196)
Subject: RE: taking my axel apart

It looks to me like that is a cap (dust cover) that pushes into the end of the axle.  You should be able to pry it off.

If it where me, I get after it with some channel locks real easily so as not to tear it up.  Think about it.  It has to come off becuase there is no other way to get the hub off.   Right?

Edited by Palmetto 2005-07-18 3:07 PM
tnmulerider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-18 4:14 PM (#28202 - in reply to #28196)

The silver cup in the picture is the dust cap.  I usually take a screwdriver or small chisel and tap it with a hamper where the dust cap and the hub meet.  It usually isn't every hard to get off.  The rubber stopper in the middle of the dust cap is where you can remove the stopper and grease the bearings.  I would not recommend doing this because if you over grease the bearings and the grease get's on the brake hub and shoes you have problems.  If you need to replace the shoes or magnet, it is usually cheaper to buy the complete assembly rather than the separate parts.
IFLY
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-18 5:08 PM (#28204 - in reply to #28202)

tnmulerider is correct.  that is the dust cap & it will pry off like he said. but, if you didn't know that, you need a trailer mechanic to do this job.  you can watch & learn and maybe do it yourself next time.  if your brakes are not working correctly, it can be the wires or the ground.  if it is the brake parts, you are better off to buy a backer plate assembly.  also turn the drum.
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-18 5:47 PM (#28205 - in reply to #28204)

Veteran

Thanks.  The directions I had said to unscrew the dustcap (apparently the Dexters come off that way).   Mine did pry off with channel locks, applied carefully.

Its now fully disassembled and there is a lot of grease that had leaked past the back seal and onto the brake drum assembly.  The bearing area was packed solid in grease.

The rotor and magnets are in OK shape on this wheel (someone checked them for me).  Still need to check amps at the magnet, linings, etc.  I will have help with repacking after I have it cleaned & ready to re-assemble.

Fun, fun!

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Edited by NoSpam 2005-07-18 5:49 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-07-18 5:50 PM (#28206 - in reply to #28196)

Expert

Those look like my axls.  The cover comes off.  I used a flathead screwdriver and a mallet.  My brakes weren't working quite right, I couldn't feel them when I stepped onteh brake, but when I slid the bar on the controler, they worked.  Turned out that the "balance" thing on the controller wasn't quite right.  Adjusted that and now they work fine.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-19 7:40 AM (#28228 - in reply to #28196)

Expert

Cool, nothing like a bit of greasy DIY (-:
I'm late on this thread, but I'll add a couple of tips anyway:

Use a broad flat blade and fairly blunt screwdriver to loosen dust caps. Just tap it gently until the cap budges a little bit, them put it in there squarely and twist. I've said this before, do NOT pry out the rubber plug with a small screwdriver, it is far too likely to tear, after which water will get in there.

OK, so you've already inspected and seen that your rear seal is trashed.
There is a common trick of using large sockets to drift out bearings and seals, also to replace them. Basically you sort through your 1/2 inch drive socket set to find a socket that has an outside diameter that is just slighly smaller than the bearing or seal. Put it onto about a 6 inch extension bar the wrong way around - you just built a custom sized drift. Use it FLAT against the seal and tap the other end lightly with a hammer.
You will probably be replacing the cups, find the largest socket you can get through the hub to drive out the rear one, similarly the front one. Use the same technique for installing the new ones, but be sure to use the largest possible socket here because you don't want to be driving against the actual bearing surface. In some cases you can use the old ones to drive the new ones in, don't do that if they are recessed or you will get the old one stuck on top of the new one - don't ask how I know this (-:

The Dexter lit almost certainly spells this out, but only tighten the axle nut FINGER tight - and I mean with a light grip, not a hard tight fist.
Then back it off whatever amount the Dexter lit sez to - I use one "nut flat" if there is no spec to work from. Dexter have gone to a different locking device, a sort of spring nut with a flat on it to match the flat ground on the axle's spindle. I like them, though they may not be retro fittable to all axles.

Brakes are probably best checked first for current draw, it should be about 3 amps and they should all be the same. This is something we could/should do every trip; feel them to find one that is hotter or colder than the others. Now that they're off look for magnets that are physically worn to odd shapes, bevelled, etc. Try to understand WHY one has worn differently, try to fix the underlying CAUSE, not just the symptom.

Don't worry about blowing out new/good seals with a hand grease gun.

If you STILL believe they can only be hand packed you can use the "palm of the hand" technique that Dexter describes, or for about $10 or $15 buy a gadget that consists of two plastic cones on a hollow shaft. You put the bearing on the shaft between the two cones, screw the top one down "hand tight" and pump grease into the end of the shaft. The grease is forced through the bearing and appears down the outside of the lower cone. This is a LOT easier to understand if you see one - ask to see a manual bearing greasing tool. If you buy one keep it in a zip loc bag, there will be quite a bit of surplus grease around.

Edited by Reg 2005-07-19 8:39 AM
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-19 8:45 AM (#28233 - in reply to #28228)

Veteran

Thank you Reg!  I can benefit from all the tips I can get. :-)  While I was under there, I found the adjacent brake has a severed brake wire.  There's a lot of interesting stuff to check out in the underbelly of the trailer.

The ground to this brake is well attached with a rivet, but it's rusted over.  I am thinking it should be removed, cleaned, replaced, yes?

Hopefully this is like tying a rope halter, and it's only the first one that takes all day to figure out. :-)

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-19 10:03 AM (#28244 - in reply to #28233)

Expert

Originally written by NoSpam on 2005-07-19 8:45 AM

Thank you Reg! I can benefit from all the tips I can get. :-) While I was under there, I found the adjacent brake has a severed brake wire. There's a lot of interesting stuff to check out in the underbelly of the trailer.

The ground to this brake is well attached with a rivet, but it's rusted over. I am thinking it should be removed, cleaned, replaced, yes?

Hopefully this is like tying a rope halter, and it's only the first one that takes all day to figure out. :-)

Happy Trails,

Michelle

I don't know that I would go to drilling out rivets to re-ground brake wires if it is just a bit of surface rust. If it is secure I'd maybe dab some rust primer over it. OTOH, if the wire lug can easily be turned in the rivet then yes, you have a poor connection.
Think ahead a bit on this, if you drill the rivet out what will you replace it with ? "An aluminum pop rivet" is probably not a good answer, but a stainless steel pop rivet is HARD to pull in and make pop, especially in a tight space, a stainless steel thread forming screw might be a good choice - as long as you don't overtighten it.

Right now Massachusetts is having a heat and humidity wave, it is NOT a good day to go crawling under horse trailers, however fascinating the mechanical stuff might be.
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-20 9:45 AM (#28301 - in reply to #28244)

Veteran

I've been using the self tapping steel screws for my ground wires.  We do have an air rivet gun and steel rivets...  (husband builds utility DSL boxes for their company sometimes)

However, I thought about covering the brakes up and clean/degrease/paint the wheel wells while it's disassembled.  Think that's a good idea?  It looks like sealing things up couldn't possibly hurt...

I have the trailer parked under a big shade tree, and it's probably cooler working outside than it is inside. :-)  It's a dry heat here...

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Edited by NoSpam 2005-07-20 9:50 AM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-21 6:35 AM (#28350 - in reply to #28233)

Expert

Originally written by NoSpam on 2005-07-19 9:45 AM

Thank you Reg!  I can benefit from all the tips I can get. :-)  While I was under there, I found the adjacent brake has a severed brake wire.  There's a lot of interesting stuff to check out in the underbelly of the trailer.

The ground to this brake is well attached with a rivet, but it's rusted over.  I am thinking it should be removed, cleaned, replaced, yes?

Happy Trails,

Michelle

michelle,

since youre already in there, i have a suggestion you may want to consider.  you stated the brakes are grounded to the tralier, most newer trailers have a dedicated ground wire run from the tow vechicle. you may want to consider pulling a new wire, you can get "brake" wire from a trailer store, it will usually be in a gray cover with a black and a white wire inside. this may also head off a potential problem if youre useing a newer style (prodigy, likes a really good ground) brake controller. just a thought.

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-21 3:16 PM (#28387 - in reply to #28350)

Veteran

Thanks, that's an excellent idea, and it would be very easy to implement at this stage. :-)  Glad you mentioned it!

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World