'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bison trailer jack

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-18 12:42 PM
2 replies, 3089 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

saddlebredman
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-17 6:42 PM (#28159)
Subject: Bison trailer jack

New User

I bought a new Bison 3 H. gooseneck with 8' L.Q. 2 years ago and salesman told me the unit carried a 3 year hitch to bumper warranty. The jack locked up when I went to unhook last week. Called the dealer service man and he said he contacted Bison and they would not cover the jack. They have changed vendors and the new jacks are larger, the orig. is welded ro the trailer. The dealer's service man offered to sell me a new jack for $400 - $500, nice but I don't think so.I offered some free advertisement as it will be parked at the county fair camp area, he didn't like that idea and said he would talk it over with the manager. I have disassembled the jack and the threads are all pulled and galled up, looks like they weren't lubed but the gears had enough grease to lube 5 jacks. It's a thoroughbred brand and I think the company has been bought out. Apparently Bison just offers lip service and if they put on junk parts the purchaser pays. I will repair the jack myself but why should I spend my time doing something when it was supposed to be covered? 

Saddlebredman

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-17 9:53 PM (#28168 - in reply to #28159)
Subject: RE: Bison trailer jack

Expert

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Warranty... Sad, but typical.
There is at least a CHANCE that you could get a replacement jack for a little over $100 from a regular tractor/ag repair place. There's nothing EQUINE about these things (-:
I think the last time someone posted about it here they had paid maybe $129.
Not a good feeling, but if you have to do it yourself you might find the easiest/cheapest way to get parts is to buy a whole new jack and swap the bits over. That would be easier than cutting the old one off and welding the new one on, then re-painting.
Just a couple of thoughts...
KelanSasu
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-18 12:42 PM (#28192 - in reply to #28159)
Subject: RE: Bison trailer jack

A shot in the dark here: is it a Thoroughbred brand or is that the model? I ask because Pfaffgroup sells "Thoroughbred"-series jacks, and if your jack is one of these, then I'm wondering if you could get a whole new gear set through them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)