'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
help w/ a problem with a dealer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-18 2:19 PM
11 replies, 4425 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pinkcowgirl
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-08 5:25 PM (#27803)
Subject: help w/ a problem with a dealer

New User

ok, here goes the story as short as possible. Hubby and I drove to Amarillo to pick up a trailer we are buying (10hr drive). We get there, trailer is everything they said it was. When we go to sign papers and have the bank send the money... The bank notices the title isnt signed, nor is there a signed transfer and there is a lien holder. We are pist. The guy tells us he noticed it but figured it would be ok. Our bank wont except it. We are going to leave and the guy says go ahead and take the trailer home, I will get this worked out by the following Tues. .. Today is the following Friday. Still nothing worked out. We dont want to pull the trailer because our ins wont cover it. Hubby tells the guy come get your trailer, no deal, you have been shady with us. Guy tells hubby I have thirty days to get the title to the bank and if we dont bring the trailer back the check we left him, he will file on us for theft... What do we do? I dont think that it is fair for us to take the trailer back, when he told us if he cant get the paperwork worked out he would come get it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pinkcowgirl
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-08 5:27 PM (#27804 - in reply to #27803)
Subject: RE: help w/ a problem with a dealer

New User

The link is to the trailer we are buying. He still has it listed for sale. http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=55335
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-08 6:21 PM (#27807 - in reply to #27804)

Extreme Veteran

Do you have anything in writing?  Sounds like it isn't his trailer to sell. Is he a reputable dealer?  You might have to return the trailer on your dime, then take him to small claims to recoup your time and expense. Make sure you take pictures of the trailer as you returned it, plus have him sign a receipt for it.

On the otherhand, you might just have him by the short hairs. How is he going to report it as stolen, since he can't prove he owns it and has the right to sell it?  If that's the case, have him come pick it up, with your check in hand.  He has nothing on you.   

That's too bad. What a pain.

FTguy
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-07-08 7:24 PM (#27809 - in reply to #27803)

My suggestion would be to call him back and record the conversation. Ask him why he won't come pick up the trailer as promised and also ask why he gave you permission to leave with trailer that he obviously doesn't own. Basically, you want him to say on tape that he gave you permission to take the trailer and if possible you want him to say that he was going to pick it up. That way you have something to back up what was said if anything happens.

FTguy
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-08 10:54 PM (#27812 - in reply to #27803)

Extreme Veteran

Can you figure out how to contact the orginal owners that are on the
current title? Perhaps they would be willing to sign the title & tranfer papers for you and save a commission with the trailer dealer.

-Betty
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-09 8:48 AM (#27817 - in reply to #27803)

Some very good suggestions here.  Another one, call your local law enforcement agency, file a report of the situation.   I wonder if the trailer has been reported stolen;  your law enforcement agency can find out for you.  Also, print the ad for them.  I hope the dealer doesn't have any of your money.  Good luck.
mackgm1
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-07-09 10:12 AM (#27820 - in reply to #27803)

Report the trailer dealer to state motor vehicle department's dealer section in the state in which he resides. In our state (Wisconsin) it is illegal for a dealer to sell or offer to sell a vehicle for which he does not have clear title. It is the dealer's problem, not yours.
ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-07-09 11:26 AM (#27821 - in reply to #27803)

Veteran

If you like the trailer be patient. I sell farm equipment and sometimes trade in titled equipment. we do have 30 days to supply a title. also it sometimes takes a few days to send the title to get it signed off. just mail turn around could take a week. Then the guy on the other end doesn't always sign and send the same day. The dealer is bonded so you should not have to worry about getting in trouble. If it's what you want be patient.
Sundown R
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-07-09 2:32 PM (#27842 - in reply to #27803)

I'm in with ND Cowboy. I am a dealer also and he speak'em truth. Be patient.

A Lein Release slip can be gotten from the Original Lein Holder printed on the title. With that and the original customers signature is all you'll need to get it straight.

Sundown R

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-10 11:11 AM (#27867 - in reply to #27803)

Extreme Veteran

It sounds like you have the title in hand. Why don't you send the title back to the dealer. Have him get the title signed, and tranfer papers taken care of, and have him send the title directly to the bank for you?

The trailer I purchased recently was on consignment. I drove 5 hours to get it. I signed all the paper work at the dealer. Left with the trailer and a loan agreement, and received my registeration in the mail about six weeks later. It took six weeks for the loan to be booked. I'm asumming that it took that long to get the title signed off and and to the lender. I still had to make the first payment at 4 weeks. :-)

I bought my trailer from Cowboy Trailer in Monroe, LA and am very happy with the service I have gotten from them. I would buy from them again, even with the 5 hour drive.
wtts
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-18 1:46 PM (#28195 - in reply to #27867)

New User

These people came into my office,sometimes you know from the start they are prolbems. the lady was very nice, but her husband was a know all from the start. i ask myself why he would drive all the way fromm willis tx, whitch is a 600 mile trip if he knew so much about what he was talking about. I let them take the trailer on July 3 05, He called me on the next Friday demanding the title. I told him due to the holidays my clients banker had gone out of town and we would not be able to get the title to him until he returned. That was not good enough and demanded i come get the trailer. Whitch after a breif disscussion on the phone I said I would send someone aftr it.     My man had to wait  an one and a half hours on his man to get there, for some reason he could not show up hiself.  When the trailer got home he had not sent the power cord or the keys back with it and had trashed the inside of the trailer,filled up the toilet,left it full ,left a half bottle of tequellia in the fridge,muddy foot prints from there chid on the leather sofa. When i contacted him to return the power cord and the keys he refused, i told him to send them C>O>D>. He has not sent them to me yet.SO IF A DONNIE FROM WOOTEN TRACTOR WORK calls beware. By the way I told him I had insurance on the trailer and would keep it on there until we got the title problem worked out.

Edited by wtts 2005-07-18 9:26 PM
Sundown R
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-07-18 2:19 PM (#28199 - in reply to #27803)

Thank you for getting on this forumn and straighening this out West Tex. This is most of the time, an excellent place to get positive feed back from the horse public in general. However, there are always a few out there in retail world. I have horror stories about that stuff too. Thankfully, most all of the people I have dealt with are up front and honest. I said most ! Sundown R
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)