'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
The Million Dollar Trailer Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-08 10:14 AM
14 replies, 7847 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-06 2:53 PM (#27694)
Subject: The Million Dollar Trailer Questions

Veteran

OK, I have a 2H trailer but I am looking for a newer one (still a 2H). Here are my 2 questions.

1. Straight Load or Slant - I want to know which is easier for the horse, not just what's most convenient for you.

2. Will a fully aluminum trailer ride as smoothly for the horse as one that has some steel and weighs more?

I currently have a steel trailer that rides and pulls like a dream. However, it has under-manger tack storage and I need more area to store tack. I personally don't have a preference of straight or slant and would get a straight load with walk through to dressing room if I go straight load. If I go slant, I think I would prefer a rear saddle rack. Any ideas / comments are appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-06 3:09 PM (#27696 - in reply to #27694)
Subject: RE: The Million Dollar Trailer Questions

Expert

Originally written by Champhorse on 2005-07-06 2:53 PM

OK, I have a 2H trailer but I am looking for a newer one (still a 2H). Here are my 2 questions.

1. Straight Load or Slant - I want to know which is easier for the horse, not just what's most convenient for you.

2. Will a fully aluminum trailer ride as smoothly for the horse as one that has some steel and weighs more?

I currently have a steel trailer that rides and pulls like a dream. However, it has under-manger tack storage and I need more area to store tack. I personally don't have a preference of straight or slant and would get a straight load with walk through to dressing room if I go straight load. If I go slant, I think I would prefer a rear saddle rack. Any ideas / comments are appreciated.

1) Straight. Most of the "advantages" of slant don't acrue until 3 or 4 horse sizes - personally I doubt that (m)any of them actually benefit the horse(s).
Texas ? Does it get just a tiny bit warm down there ?
Think horse flesh weight per cubic foot of air space.

2) Yes, probably better if the axles and springs are properly matched to the rest of the trailer - and it's load. This is MUCH more about good design than just selection of materials. Good and bad designs are available in both materials as well as in combinations of those materials.

I know, opinions vary. These are mine.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-06 3:44 PM (#27698 - in reply to #27694)

Expert

Her's a varying opinion.  Having owned both, I prefer slants over straights because:

Horses tend to haul better in a slant.  I've never had a horse scramble in a slant but I have in a straight.

Ventilation is not a problem in a well made, well thought out slant.

Slants can be sized to accomodate even very large horses.

Good quality, all aluminum slants, will last a long time and haul beautifully. 

Edited by hav2ride 2005-07-06 3:46 PM
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-06 3:52 PM (#27699 - in reply to #27694)

Veteran

Yes, it get's very hot down here. However, my current trailer does not have drop down windows (just sliding plexiglass with screens) and they horses get plenty of air circulation. Vents are a must and good air flow is a requirement for me. The straight loads I am looking at have drop down windows on the sides - just no air coming directly at their face like they have now with a straight load & no dressing room.

Reg -

I agree that good design is important. My current trailer is a Sundowner and it hauls great. Therefore, I am looking at only good, quality trailers (Sundowner, 4-Star, Featherlite, Sooner, etc) because I truly believe you get what you pay for. I want this to be a trailer that will last for several years and safety and quality are important to me. Any opinions on one brand over the other ?

Edited by Champhorse 2005-07-06 3:55 PM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-06 5:53 PM (#27701 - in reply to #27694)

Expert

For a 2 horse I'd go straight.  Have you ever walked into a 2 horse slant?  There is no room!  A 2 horse straight is much more roomie.  If your horses like a straight stay with it.  I think you'll find a 2 horse straight is easier to resell, those hunter jumper people just love'em!

If you are looking at top end trailers then they should pull well anyways.  Just don't upgrade to a heavier axle unless you plan on putting in a living quarter.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-06 7:00 PM (#27704 - in reply to #27701)

Expert

I'll agree taht some 2H slants are not roomy but that's not true for all configurations.  They can be very large inside.  You just have to ask for it.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-06 8:18 PM (#27711 - in reply to #27694)

Elite Veteran

Thi is not an opinion, just a thought. In a straight load you have one side or the other loaded unevenly if you only haul one horse, whereas with a slant the weight is more evenly distributed. And I like being able to check the horses on the same side without having to run to both sides of the trailer in case of emergency.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-06 9:14 PM (#27713 - in reply to #27711)

Expert

Originally written by efaubert1 on 2005-07-06 8:18 PM

Thi is not an opinion, just a thought. In a straight load you have one side or the other loaded unevenly if you only haul one horse, whereas with a slant the weight is more evenly distributed. And I like being able to check the horses on the same side without having to run to both sides of the trailer in case of emergency.

A 5 or 6 horse head to head trailer can be balanced side to side and pretty much front to back with any number of horses up to the max. Not that it makes a lot of sense to haul around one horse in a trailer that size, which is why I also have the liddul one.
Some time around the end of January I did haul two horses BOTH on the left side and NO horses on the right side, this was due to a loading issue and weather pressures - Bahh, for 60 miles they can stay where they are, I took it easy, all was well.
FordLvr
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-07 12:30 AM (#27718 - in reply to #27694)

I have always been told that horses can balance themselves better and compensate easier from the forces of stopping and starting a trailer and thus are less tired when trailered in a slant load. If this is true then for long hauls a slant would be better. Just what I have always been told.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-07 8:30 AM (#27724 - in reply to #27718)

Expert

Originally written by FordLvr on 2005-07-07 12:30 AM

I have always been told that horses can balance themselves better and compensate easier from the forces of stopping and starting a trailer and thus are less tired when trailered in a slant load. If this is true then for long hauls a slant would be better. Just what I have always been told.

I've seen that quoted, I don't know who started it, but I'm not convinced.
It seems to be based on some observation that untied horses will sometimes align themselves diagonally, at least that is what has been seen by the time the driver has got out and looked. I hauled one horse "loose" with the owner in the trailer (yeah, DUMB from a liability point of view), THAT horse aligned herself just about straight ahead for the approx 100 mile trip. The owner sat on a folding chair, fairly well protected by a chest bar.
There seems to be as much opinion that the horse in a slant has to counter braking/accelleration in a very uneven front-right/rear-left way that is more tiring on those two legs.

We're "Doing it again" (-: There are MANY old threads on slant vs straight. I'll withold my other two MAJOR reasons for prefering straight over slant.

arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-07 9:27 AM (#27729 - in reply to #27699)

Veteran

I'm sure you will find what you like; that's what it always boils down to anyway. I have only pulled 2 horse, straight loads with ramps: a Brenderup and a Sundowner 777 GN. We have BIG warmbloods. I have pulled with one horse and with two, short trips and long hauls. Both trailers, although very different, have pulled just fine. The pop-out windows and open tail on the Brenderup always seemed to keep things cool in the Brenderup. The model we had didn't have any storage space. The Sundowner is well ventilated with dropdown windows, roof vents, sliding rear side windows and curtains that open. We really like having all of the extra storage that the dressing room give us for saddles, tack, etc. The horses have always loaded easily and ridden well in the straight loads. When I read this board I am convinced that we have well behaved horses; that might not be the norm.

If I were buying again today I would stick with the 777 GN because I have had such a good experience with it. Since I have never pulled a slant load I have no first hand knowledge of them.  Bazillions of both configurations are sold and used successfully.  I suspect that they work just fine for most horses and their owners. 

Arroyoseccofarm Denton, TX

Edited by arroyoseccofarm 2005-07-07 9:37 AM
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-07 5:03 PM (#27755 - in reply to #27694)

Regular

We bought a 2 horse slant and love it! It did take a little working with my horse to load into it. Now, he goes in very well. When loading I stand on the ground and he goes by himself. There is room in the first stall. I did work so he would go into both. When I look at the straight load 2 horse, there doesn't look like a lot of room to me. I like it because it's small and it's all we needed. Oh, ours is alum. over steel. Hauls very nicely, even with our 1/2 ton.Good luck choosing!

Edited by marn 2005-07-07 5:06 PM
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-07 9:09 PM (#27760 - in reply to #27694)

Extreme Veteran

My first trailer, way back when, was a 2 horse straight load and that is all me and my horse knew. My trailer after that was a 3 horse GN slant. Why I chose a slant, I am not sure but I think it had something to do with the idea of hauling 3 horses in not such a long trailer and having the rear tack option and I think I had heard something about horse's traveling better in one? I like the slant load trailer and my horses haul well in it, no problems. I like the extra room a 3 horse offers as well. I really can't think of a reason why I would go back to a straight load, I just prefer my slant load. To each, their own.

And I guess that would be my million dollar answer.

Edited by MIfarmbabe 2005-07-07 9:10 PM
letsride
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-08 9:03 AM (#27776 - in reply to #27694)

its all about what works for you, i have had a two horse all aluminum slant load and my horses loved it, it had a nice big dressing area. i have four horses that i haul one is 1000 pound the other three are big boys 1100 to 1200 plus and long. i have a two horse straight load that i haul them in, all but one, he hates it and will only ride quite in the slant. the two horse straight load is nice and pulls like you say like a dream, but no room for everything you need to go anywhere. the slant has a small walk in tack, plenty of room and easy to get to . both of these are steel. there is usually no difference in weight between a two horse steel and a two horse aluminum because the structure has to be there and the weight does not start changing a lot until you go past 2 horse structure. the straight load is noticably warmer on the horses, the slant seems easier for them to ride more at ease without a jump in heart rate. its nice to have the option if you need to haul one horse for a long distance to let them have room to rest. good luck on your search. in the end its always what works for you, ask a friend to borrow their two horse slant and see what you think.  God Bless and Happy Trails.
pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-08 10:14 AM (#27780 - in reply to #27694)

Regular

My experience: my big quarter mare who moved constantly in a stock or straight load now rides quietly and calmly in the middle of a 3 horse slant. And since she's usually the only horse, the weight distribution issue is big for me. The rear tack is very useful, I would look for a swing out saddle rack and it should have a catch to hold it out. I put a pocket caddy on the inside of the rear tack door and that helps keep all the little stuff handy and off the floor.

As far as aluminum versus steel, I agree there are good and bad models of both, but weight and rust were factors that swayed me to the all alum.

One thing I will mention because it has proved critical to me and my horses, is the horse area being fully insulated. Someone mentioned that here when I was researching before buying and I am so glad. Recently spent two hours in a Walmart tire center in the middle of a 6-hour trip on a hot, humid day. Jess was cooler in the trailer than I was in the truck!!

Good luck with your research.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)