'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
not again!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-06 1:13 PM
8 replies, 4440 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 3:36 PM (#27625)
Subject: not again!!!

Veteran

I wish there was a link on this site that explained (without opinion) the ins and outs of GVWR, max towing limits, payloads, 4x4 or 2x4, and all of that sort of thing so people could quit posting about the same things. I am going through the same thing as they are...trying to figure out if the new truck I want to buy will pull the trailer I foresee in the near future. And we all know each different combo of truck and trailer and add-ons make each situation different, not to mention the fact that it is a heck of a lot easier to just put out a new post versus searching all the old ones for the info you seek. I would love to post my situation but I hate to keep pestering these poor folks over the same thing when I can track down the info myself and save them their precious time and energy. I know there are those here who get tired of seeing the same old stuff over and over again and others who get tired of saying the same things over and over again.Hint Hint to someone more knowledgable and powerful than myself...please help us out here. I know there are sites out there that have this info on it and sometimes the lingo is more than difficult to interpret and the people here are more than willing to help when asked but gosh...I can't be the only one who feels this way. Thanks for letting me vent...I hope no one thinks that I think we shouldn't be asking each other questions and learning from others' experience because that isn't my point at all. I have asked my share of questions on here and would hate not to be able to. The thing is I often check the boards out just in hopes of gaining bits information that could be useful who knows when but it has become harder and harder for us to broaden our knowledge when for the most part when we are going around in circles.

Edited by Lynn0202 2005-07-05 3:40 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 4:02 PM (#27628 - in reply to #27625)
Subject: RE: not again!!!

Elite Veteran

Lynn

Every truck manufacturer out there provides towing numbers, you just got to search for them. I don't know Chevy, GMC, or Dodge links, but here is Fords.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/default.asp

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 4:05 PM (#27629 - in reply to #27625)

Expert

i say just post it, if someone doesnt want to post an answer they dont have to....they dont even have to click the thread if they see a topic they dont like. of course they will, but its still their decision.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-07-05 4:07 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-05 4:30 PM (#27631 - in reply to #27625)

Expert

Well, this isn't the ONLY source in the world for this stuff (-:

Ford link already provided by a Ford enthusiast, Dodge link has been posted here recently, I dont remember the GM link.
GM used to have all the towing stuff in a table in the back of every truck brochure, though it has been a while since I browsed their glossy material.
In Massachusetts the drivers' manual (Yes, we DO have them here) has understandable definitions of all the GVxx acronyms, working explanations too as I remember it. More stuff is in the CDL, for folk who might want to know if they need one, or who are just curious.

I think SOME of the repetitious posts problem could be solved with a FAQ, though I think a good faq needs maintenance and that means WORK for the site owner and/or moderators. My idea of a good faq is one that provides links (to previous discussions, manufacturer's web sites or topics in other forums), not just "answers". I think we've had requests for GVxx numbers on vehicles as far back as the late 80s, maybe earlier. A table by make, model and year would be NICE, it would probably only need a couple of rows added every year. Include the disclaimer about these being total allowable weight, from which the weight of options, passengers, etc., must be deducted.

Search engine techniques would be another good thing to have in a FAQ.
Once upon a whenever BBs used to have keywords to aid searching. I think a list of most significant keywords could be distilled by a decent search engine, this might be a feature the moderators already have available to them - clue/hint (-:

To your particular circumstance: Send me a message if you want, I'll try to answer it.

Edited by Reg 2005-07-05 4:35 PM
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 4:41 PM (#27632 - in reply to #27625)

Veteran

Oh what the hell, I'll give it a try!

Basically, there are TWO things you must be concerned about: (I always try to remember "TWO BEFORE I TOW)

1. How much you can put ON your truck
2. How much you can pull WITH your truck

They are two VERY different measurements, and each is important. Problems start because people only go by one or the other...doesn't work...you have to be within your specs on both measurements, or you need a bigger truck or smaller trailer.

Here's (again, BASICALLY,) how you figure the answers:

1. How much can I put ON my truck (also known as payload)
Start by loading up your truck how you do for a normal trip--people, gear, full fuel, etc. Then go weigh your truck at a truck scale. Next subtract this actual weight of your truck from your GVWR--found on the inside driver's door panel. For example, if you actual truck weight is 6500 pounds and your GVWR is 8800 lbs, you can put 2300 lbs ON your truck in terms of the weight of your goosneck or frame hitch plus tongue weight or pin weight of your trailer. If you go over this number, stop...you need a bigger truck.

2. How much can I pull WITH my truck. Find out what your GCVWR for your truck's configuration (total maximum weight of trailer and truck together). It's probably in your owner's manual, and will have different values for different configurations of trucks--engines, rear gears, 4x2 or 4x4, etc. Now, go back to the scale and get the actual weight of your trailer with horses, tack, hay and your truck combined. If you are under your GCVWR, you are good to go. If not, you need a bigger truck or lighter trailer.

If you are under on both of these measurements, you are okay. The more "under" you are, the better.

Of course, like I said, this is very BASIC. You will also want to look at things like wheelbase (longer is usually better), axle ratings, rear gears, engine abililty in real world etc. But generally--if you are under on #1 and #2, you are in business.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-06 9:41 AM (#27670 - in reply to #27625)

Extreme Veteran

I like to keep all of this real simple. Big Trailer, Big Truck. :-)

(I'm joking here).

-Betty
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-06 11:09 AM (#27678 - in reply to #27625)

Expert

Lynn .. I am in agreement with Flooper's explanation.

I would rather the "same ole question" get asked again than anyone get in over their head and tow vehicle.  It's simple self interest.  I have to be on the same roads with other horse trailers.  We frequently use the same camp grounds too.  I don't want to get involved in "red asphalt" or an accident.  Further... If more people are satisfied with their rigs, there will be less people dropping out of the whole horse thing.   The more horse people with trailers there are, the louder our collective voice is.

Besides, I meet the nicest people when I'm out horse camping.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is forever.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-06 11:11 AM (#27680 - in reply to #27670)

Expert

Originally written by bjhouten on 2005-07-06 8:41 AM

I like to keep all of this real simple. Big Trailer, Big Truck. :-) (I'm joking here). -Betty

I like "big trailer... Bigger truck" .

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-06 1:13 PM (#27686 - in reply to #27680)

Expert

I was going to post the exact same thing!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)