'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Is American Spirit heading South???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-08 11:38 AM
11 replies, 4015 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 12:39 PM (#27618)
Subject: Is American Spirit heading South???

Elite Veteran

Over the weekend I heard a nasty little rumor (very reliable though) that Thames Goon has been LET GO from the company he helped start. Something about the silent side money folks thinking margins should be better on trailers and them hiring "experts" to find ways to increase profits. Guess they didn't agree with Thames old fashioned way of building trailers and felt he was obstructing the path to their returns. As far as I know the quality hasn't taken a big turn for the worse yet, but keep on the lookout. And if you were ever looking at an AS trailer based on the integrity of the man that had the vision, Thames, you needn't look there anymore. My best wishes go out to Thames and hope he finds a new enterprise to join soon.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-07 12:07 AM (#27717 - in reply to #27618)
Subject: RE: Is American Spirit heading South???

Veteran

Hey ED

Keep me posted.

Thames, if this is true good luck in whatever comes your way and I know you'll land on your feet running!
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-07 7:55 AM (#27721 - in reply to #27618)

Elite Veteran

Alice, I have confirmed it via phone. Thames is no longer at American Spirit. "It wasn't working out" is their reason. Huh, trailers selling faster than you can build them, but it wasn't working out????
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-07 8:50 AM (#27727 - in reply to #27721)

Expert

Originally written by efaubert1 on 2005-07-07 7:55 AM

Alice, I have confirmed it via phone. Thames is no longer at American Spirit. "It wasn't working out" is their reason. Huh, trailers selling faster than you can build them, but it wasn't working out????

I can see why graduates of the mumblehead school of management would see that as bad (-:
a) Poor build capacity planning - sub it out to China.
b) Prices are too low - if demand it too high.

(-:
Traillady
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-07-07 1:23 PM (#27739 - in reply to #27618)

Traillady
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-07-07 1:49 PM (#27740 - in reply to #27618)

Oops, sorry for the blank post.  Hum, Now I need to rethink what I was thinking of doing. 

psyncere
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-07 3:27 PM (#27752 - in reply to #27618)

hey guys, I think thames is a great guy and skilled trailer man but lets not judge the trailer quality because we didnt like the corporate decision made.  I have done a lot of investigation and these trailers are built well.  The structure is as well as any similarly priced trailer in the industry and I have found a converter who finishes a conversion as good as anyone. 
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-08 8:16 AM (#27772 - in reply to #27618)

Elite Veteran

Think what you will. Thames was in charge of the production and manufacturing, and they didn't agree, so draw the conclusion you will. You don't let someone go if you agree with the way they build the product do you? Especially not the guy who asked you to be a partner in HIS dream.

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-08 8:42 AM (#27773 - in reply to #27618)

Extreme Veteran

It is really none of our business to "draw conclusions" about information we do not know much about and to discuss "nasty little rumors"  here on this forum is really pointless. Not to mention, it will make American Spirit look iffy in their reputation to others viewing this thread, which in my opinion this company has built a nice trailer and there are many owners that are happy with theres. Just because Mr. Goon has left, doesn't necessarily mean American Spirit may "make a big turn for the worse". 

Traillady
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-07-08 10:03 AM (#27779 - in reply to #27773)

You are absolutely right. It is just disappointing when there are changes when trying to make some serious decisions.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-07-08 10:50 AM (#27783 - in reply to #27773)

Thank you MIfarmbabe.  You have said what needed saying, and said it very well.  I have no dog in the fight at all as far as product, but I am familar with Thames and the Company, & hold both in high regard.  I wish them well in their seperate directions.  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-08 11:38 AM (#27785 - in reply to #27618)

Elite Veteran

To MIfarmbabe and Don at Dixie H&M,

I never said they ARE NOW having any issues, only to be aware that the manufacturing of American Spirit trailers is about to change. Not that their quality was going down the toilet as you both make it sound. I don't know either of your backgrounds, but I'd guess service industries and of course sales maybe?

My thoughts of the possibility of quality being sacrificed for profits stem from 20+ years of manufacturing management background including the Big 3 auto makers. Any time you put "Money / Accountant" type folks in charge of manufacturing based on how they feel the bottom line is, it IS a potential for failure. They are smart individuals in their own respects, but running a manufacturing facility is far different from understanding advanced math and the stock market. I have been there when a multi million dollar company ran aground under the leadership of "Corporate Raiders" in the early 90's because they just HAD to get more out of an already solvent, profitable company. You have to be savvy, and you have to understand your industry, not just how to fill out the P&L statement. So with that, I wish you all a great weekend and happy trails.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)